Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Help wanted -- Building a Sub Enclosure

Hi, I'd like help from the experts in helping me build a enclosure for my getz. The Sub specs are as follows :

Pioneer TSW305C
12" Enclosure use sub
83 Oz Magnet
800W Max and 400W Normal Power
Enclosure : 1.5 Cubic Feet

The amplifier I will be using for this is a Sony XM-502 Z amp which is rated at 250Watts I don't know what the actual power output is as I'm quite illiterate when it comes to these things. Any suggestions to upgrade would be welcome. I currently use a kenwood 335 head unit with a 10 disc mp3 changer which I plan to trade in for a sony V4300 or the newer model which has USB slot in front.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 14th August 2007 at 13:40. Reason: spell check
Old 14th August 2007, 13:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

My recommendation would be to buy one of the pre-loaded enclosures that JBL offers. May be just me but I have never found our local enclosures to be good.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Hi, I'd like help from the experts in helping me build a enclosure for my getz. The Sub specs are as follows :

Pioneer TSW305C
12" Enclosure use sub
83 Oz Magnet
800W Max and 400W Normal Power
Enclosure : 1.5 Cubic Feet

The amplifier I will be using for this is a Sony XM-502 Z amp . Any suggestions to upgrade would be welcome. I currently use a kenwood 335 head unit with a 10 disc mp3 changer ...
the sub will be quite happy in 1.5 cu. ft.

What are you expecting from the upgrade?
Old 14th August 2007, 13:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi there,

Luckily you already have the subwoofer enclosure size. Just make sure the internal volume is 1.5 cubic feet. A simple size would be about 14"X15"X12".

The 502 will drive the woofer, but not too well. If you already have this amplifier it's OK, otherwise it would be better to change to any monoblock.
Old 14th August 2007, 20:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi there,

Luckily you already have the subwoofer enclosure size. Just make sure the internal volume is 1.5 cubic feet. A simple size would be about 14"X15"X12".

The 502 will drive the woofer, but not too well. If you already have this amplifier it's OK, otherwise it would be better to change to any monoblock.
Thanx sam,this is exactly the kind of guidance I was looking for. Sadly,there was one sony monoblock in the marketplace,but it's been sold already.
Vikram,I had the sony mp3 head unit V4300 in my car for a couple of days and it definetely sounded better than my present HU.
Old 15th August 2007, 13:30   #6
BHPian

The size given by Sam has been quite useful. But how do I go about making the "hole" I guess the more enligtened folks call it a port if I'm not wrong. Does it have to be of a particular size in relation to the size of the box.Do I need to put in glasswool or any other material into the box.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The size given by Sam has been quite useful. But how do I go about making the "hole" I guess the more enligtened folks call it a port if I'm not wrong. Does it have to be of a particular size in relation to the size of the box.Do I need to put in glasswool or any other material into the box.
the port requires a tube of specific length and dia. since you are looking at a bass reflex box damping material must be judiciously used. too little and the box will be resonant. too much and you will over damp the box.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If I am not wrong, the specified volume will probably be for a sealed box. The size for a ported (holewalla) box will be different.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The size for a ported (holewalla) box will be different.
yes 1.5 cu. ft is the sealed box. if you have the T/S specs (atleast Vas, Qts and Fs) we can figure out the holewalla box size as well as the size of the hole.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
yes 1.5 cu. ft is the sealed box. if you have the T/S specs (atleast Vas, Qts and Fs) we can figure out the holewalla box size as well as the size of the hole.

Like I said,I draw a total blank when it comes to the nuances of ICE. Now Navin you'll have to tell me how and where do I find out Vas,Qts and Fs. The other data that I had metioned in the opening post was taken off the back sticker on the sub. If it's too complicated I'll be ok with just a plain old sealed box instead of the ported one.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like I said,I draw a total blank when it comes to the nuances of ICE. Now Navin you'll have to tell me how and where do I find out Vas,Qts and Fs..
These specs are usually supplied with the subwoofer (a data sheet must have come with the sub).
Old 17th August 2007, 10:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

here are the specs...

Old 17th August 2007, 10:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

LBM to the rescue again. I vote we make him official librarian, records manager and researcher of the ICE section.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM to the rescue again. I vote we make him official librarian, records manager and researcher of the ICE section.
Hahahaha. Thanks Sam Bhai...

Here are the enclosure sizes given by pioneer for both Sealed and Pipe wala...

Old 17th August 2007, 11:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Wasava, you owe LBM a Appy drink! :-) Thanks LBM.

Sam, I think LBM should be made a verb like Google. How he does it I dont know but then magicians dont tell do they? It might be becuase his brain is not numbed by C2H5OH.

Most Viewed