Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 23:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Illusionized My Palio - Mindblowing SQ!

It was ICE upgrade time for my car and I had given a listen to Infinity 6020 cs, JBL GTO 607, Illusion Audio Luccent Series, Illusion Audio Carbon Series and Hertz components (Vipers car). And one day while speaking to Bass&Trouble a.k.a. Ajay, I came to know of a new range of speakers from Illusion Audio in the name of Electra Series. I wanted to hear them before I settled for something amongst the brands mentioned above.
I still remember sitting in the Wagon R parked at Kalaghoda parking lot. I was simply dumbfounded with the SQ of these speakers. I carried my own music collection and did almost a 25 min listening session before falling in love with them (Sorry for burning your LPG Ajay). Rock, Trance, Jazz, et al. you name the genre and the speakers didn't disappoint me even once. Initially I thought that the amps must be the Steg but later found out that they were some basic Ground Zero amps. The sub was a Illusion Audio Electra 12 inch sub capable of handling 400W RMS on its two coils. The response was just PERFECT. Just the way I wanted it to be. Bas, decision was made to get these speakers for my car.
When the question of amplification arose, Ajay recommended the JBL GTO 75.4 x 2 combo. One amp dedicated for 4 speakers and the second one in 2-ch mode driving each of the sub's voice coils. Now a big problem was that the sub wasn't available and I simply wanted it. I was given many options like the Ground Zero sub which I had earlier heard in the same Wagon R but I insisted that I will only go for the sub I liked the most. After all the pestering and pricking Ajay managed to get one assembled for me but it wasn't ready at the day of install so I decided to get the one in the Wagon R off for my car until my sub arrived. I have to give a big thanks to Ajay for letting me use his sub because he voluntarily took it out of his demo car setup and replaced it with the Ground Zero sub .

The final config I chose was:

Front comps: Illusion Electra EL 6.1 Rs. 6,490/-
Sub: Illusion Electra EL12-D4 Rs. 5,250/-
Amps: JBL GTO 75.4 12,990/- (Of course I got a discount thanks to Sam)
Wiring kit: Ground Zero 4-gauge amp Rs. 4300/- (approx)
Wiring kit Amp# 2: Existing Ichibahn IKIT8 (8 gauge wiring kit) for the amp driving speakers.
Damping: Noise-Kill Rs. 3,000/- to cover front doors. (Works great)
Speaker cable: Illusion Reference RSC16.50 14m - Rs. 2,100 x 2
Subwoofer enclosure: (ferocious) made at home by carpenters and will be changed soon.
Rear fill: Used the existing Alpine S-Type.
Head Unit: Using the existing Pio 7650. Will be upgraded to an Alpine 9830 (the weakest link in my setup)

These are MRP's and I did get a fair discount in the final bill.

The installation was done professionally at FM Drive in Khar off Linking Road and I am yet to come across an installer who does an impeccable job as these guys. They have soldered / crimped each connection. Used speaker cups on the sub enclosure. Wired the amps well. Added a plank on the rear seat without any instructions. And charged me a paltry amount for this. Only problem that happened was getting the setup running. It was getting dark after the install and I had to head back to Pune soon. The amps when connected ran into protect mode. Gosh! a good day ruined. I knew there was some issue and if given time it would get solved but I was just not willing to stay back. After a few calls to Sam and Ajay it was decided that I take the amps back to Pune from the place I bought them and get them checked to avoid any further damage. I agreed and ran the front comps temporarily off my existing Magnat 2-ch amp. The speakers sounded brilliant even with an amp which is not designed to be for SQ. Drove back to Pune and for further story refer to this thread from post # 78 onwards.

I didn't click much pictures of the install but I will do so after the final install is done. The sub hasn't moved ever since it was installed. Its just a basic 4 speaker install.

Damped doors:

Compo's in front door (I will be getting some better door pad fabric made later.

Sub Box:

Does this look like a used Sub?

Crimped connections on the crossover:

And the lunch we had with V-16 and Viper at Kobe's (Thanks Jiggy for the treat). Gogi, isn't this the only picture in which Jiggy is not smiling

A big thanks to Ajay, Sam, Navin, Shrivz, Amey, Karl, Razor and everyone from the ICE section!

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th August 2007 at 23:07.
Old 14th August 2007, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice Choice Moralfibre..
Another illusion fan.
Old 14th August 2007, 23:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice setup man...hope to hear it some day..
Old 14th August 2007, 23:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
Nice Choice Moralfibre..Another illusion fan.
Thank you Vishal bhai! I am sure you'd know the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
nice setup man...hope to hear it some day..
Definitely. My Goa trip is due for September. Will PM you before I come.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats man , looks like one heck of a setup
Old 15th August 2007, 00:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Compo's in front door (I will be getting some better door pad fabric made later.

1. the tweeter is too low.
2. I am not a fan of the type of spacer used. the door looses it's stock look. since the door is fairly straight forward maybe you can just get new door panels that are designed to give the Illusion midbass the room it needs.
3. why is the XO on the outside?
Old 15th August 2007, 00:20   #7
BHPian

Boy, those speakers soud fabulous!! and at that price point!! nothing to beat them!! Its an upgrade in SQ and downgrade in price compared to the Infinities..
Old 15th August 2007, 00:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I too was worried when I saw the tweeter mounting position, but while sitting, your leg really doesnt cover it. The setup sounds great! Those illusions put out a lot of detail..
The downside is that you can easily detect recording flaws with these speakers!
Old 15th August 2007, 00:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Right Navin but the only option was at this part because the door has a metal plate impact beams on the other part behind the door pad. I only had an option of horizontal movement by an inch on either side. The tweeter, even at this position gave a good sound stage.

Quote:
2. I am not a fan of the type of spacer used. the door looses it's stock look. since the door is fairly straight forward maybe you can just get new door panels that are designed to give the Illusion midbass the room it needs.
3. why is the XO on the outside?
Me neither, but the problem is that the Palio doors only take a 5.25 inch woofer in the front. A new map pocket is my next plan and it will cover the XO in a stock look. The mounting depth of the woofer is 66 mm if I remember the print on the box correct. I have asked a few guys around to come up with ideas to enclose the speaker in the stock looking door map pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Boy, those speakers soud fabulous!! and at that price point!! nothing to beat them!! Its an upgrade in SQ and downgrade in price compared to the Infinities..
You bet buddy. The tweeter on the 5010 cs came too bright to me after I heard these speakers. Two more guys, viz Payam and Amey are looking for the same install. Payam is getting them for his Palio tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
I too was worried when I saw the tweeter mounting position, but while sitting, your leg really doesnt cover it. The setup sounds great! Those illusions put out a lot of detail..
The tweeters are mounted on cups that swivel and the tweeter has a 45 degree off axis response as put to me and they really do have that kind of a response and quite flat. Just as per my liking.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th August 2007 at 00:30.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Vishal bhai! I am sure you'd know the sound.

Definitely. My Goa trip is due for September. Will PM you before I come.
I havent heard the electra series but i am sure it should be the best.
and how many times do you visit goa in a year ?
Old 15th August 2007, 00:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
I havent heard the electra series but i am sure it should be the best.
Not the best but something which suits my listening preferences the best

Quote:
and how many times do you visit goa in a year ?
LOL thats my native and I get a refreshing feeling after each visit.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:51   #12
BHPian

guys sound is mind blowing,clarity is amazing after listening to his set up i cant stand mine.
congrat MF.
Old 15th August 2007, 00:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Well just a doubt in my mind. I am running the setup using a basic Pioneer head unit which used to make my ears bleed on the earlier setup but now its not that bad. Would upgrading to an Alpine 9830 make it milder than the current setup?

Thank you for the nice words Payam . Your equipment will be down tomorrow and even you will get Illusionized!
Old 15th August 2007, 01:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kiran! Hope to get a demo the next time I'm down in Mum/Pune! And I'm lovin my Electra compos as well! Pretty glad I made that decision
Old 15th August 2007, 01:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL thats my native and I get a refreshing feeling after each visit.

Quote:
Your equipment will be down tomorrow and even you will get Illusionized!
So payam is also getting Illusion ? Which car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks