Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 00:28   #1
BHPian

1.5 Lakhs Budget for ICE in Cr-V EDIT: Now installed Pics on page 4

Hi guys,
I have just got my new Cr-V and well wanted to change the stereo. I only want for music. No TV or DVD player. I listen to alot of Mids and prefer a system oriented towards that. I hate high tweeter levels. Hate pioneer and love Alpine. Mostly going to use iPod with occasional CD. Dont want to part with alot of luggage space for the Subwoofer. Would like to spend about 1.5 Lakhs on equipment.
Please Help.
Thanking you,
Mumbaiya
Old 16th August 2007, 01:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Couple of CRV installs posted in the 'sound off' section. Both have high end equipment, should be quite helpful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...onda-cr-v.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ealth-ice.html

manson.
Old 16th August 2007, 02:11   #3
BHPian

I loved both the installs but I live in Mumbai and that type of workmanship is hard to find. Also I have never heard of the Audison brand.
Old 16th August 2007, 02:11   #4
BANNED

The new CRV is quiet a good vehicle to ICE. If you have read the links provided by Ma(n)son, you'll understand more better.

1.5lakhs is a good budget and you can get some good equipment and install job with that. Make an important note though, your ICE is only good as it's weakest link. So, don't try and cut corners for a few pennies. Try and get the best within your budget.

What and which is best?
This is different from each and every person's ear and tastes. But after looking at your preferences, I would suggest you to listen to Hertz HiEnergy series and IllusionAudio Carbon series. Bass&Trouble (AKA Ajay) deals with Illusions and Gunbir deals with Hertz. So, get in touch with them for further details on these and you may also get a demo.
You can also try Focal, Alpine Type R and Polk Momos. But the first 2 will suit you more I think.

If you love a lot of mids oriented music, then it is worth investing on a 3way components for the fronts. Installing them may require a bit of extra effort though.

If you don't like too much of thumping and booming bass, then it is better to get a sub which can do the lows well and also make sure you put them in sealed box. Sealed enclosures give out more detailed bass than the other varieties. Different instruments can be easily made out with the sealed boxes. Would highly recommend you to go with that.

Also make sure your speakers are powered well and correctly. For this, it is wise to get amps which can throw a good and stable output. I would recommend you to try Audison LRX and SRX series, Alpine MRV series, JBL GTO series, GroundZero and IllusionAudio. These are preferred by many here too.

Your stock HU looks very beautiful and melt into the interiors well. But they are not capable of providing enough preamp outputs for your proposed upgrade plans. It is recommended to change the HU to a well featured one which has good sound reproduction. Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer etc comes to mind. Changing the HU is not that much of a problem as evident from the earlier CRV installs. In case of Alpine HUs, you may also use the steering mounted audio controls too as the adapter is now available from them. No pain in that department too.

Cables and wiring. This has to be of best quality too. Don't compromise on these. If you want more details about it, you may read a sticky posted elsewhere explaining that.
Get the necessary fuses, distribution blocks, earthing points etc and don't go without it and burn down your worthy ICE equipment.

The most important part of ICE is the way it is installed. Don't ever overlook this aspect and try the best to get it installed by a good, reputed and experienced installer.

Remember, it is your car, your music and your money. Decide with your ears and what is in between them. Don't just fall into what other people think about.
Huh! Do I think a lot? Yes, I think so!
Old 16th August 2007, 09:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow zakko, I don't think Polk Momo fits in your list. Have you heard them? They are pretty aggressive.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:43   #6
BHPian

I second Sam's opinion about Polk Audio
Old 16th August 2007, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Also make sure your speakers are powered well and correctly. For this, it is wise to get amps which can throw a good and stable output. I would recommend you to try Audison LRX and SRX series, Alpine MRV series, JBL GTO series, GroundZero and IllusionAudio. These are preferred by many here too.
Sir ji you left the Steg amps, and Illusion Audio only make speakers.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
I second Sam's opinion about Polk Audio
... and I third it. Aggressive is a mild term.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiya View Post
Hi guys,
I have just got my new Cr-V and well wanted to change the stereo. I only want for music.
Of the 2 installs mentioned by manson I like the stealth version. Bass and Trouble can direct you to someone who can do this kind of work in Mumbai.

Also I think that maybe one can use 10" woofers in the same location as the 8ones used in the stealth install. You would need with one monoblock and one 4 ch.amp.

First start with damping the doors (all 5) and underbody. Budget 10K
HU: Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer: 25K
Front components: Alpine Type X, Infinty Kappa, Illusion Carbon, Hertz Hi-Energy: 20K
Rear Coax: same as above: 10K
Subwoofer: 2 x 10" Illusion/GZ, Image Dynamics, Infinity, Alpine: 30K
Amps: Audisson, Infinty, Ground Zero, Alpine :40K
Wires and Install: 15K
Old 16th August 2007, 13:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Also I think that maybe one can use 10" woofers in the same location as the 8ones used in the stealth install.
Its impossible to fit 10" in that location as the volume available will not be sufficient for 10" subwoofer and also the height available is quite less to accomodate 10" sub.
Old 16th August 2007, 14:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Front components: Alpine Type X, Infinty Kappa, Illusion Carbon, Hertz Hi-Energy: 20K
Amps: Audisson, Infinty, Ground Zero, Alpine :40K
I would suggest you to get a demo of Illusion Carbon series components.. Those are mindblowing sq compos. I have listened in Bass & Trouble's Palio.

Amps : In 1.5 Lacs budget i would suggest you to get Steg amps.

Last edited by Mugen_Power : 16th August 2007 at 14:32.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
I would suggest you to get a demo of Illusion Carbon series components.. Those are mindblowing sq compos. I have listened in Bass & Trouble's Palio.

Amps : In 1.5 Lacs budget i would suggest you to get Steg amps.

As you are in mumbai you can audition the same very easily...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ndblowing.html
Old 16th August 2007, 19:18   #13
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses.
I heard about the Focal-JMLabs Speakers......any idea how they are?
Old 16th August 2007, 19:43   #14
BHPian

What do you'll think of the Alpine PDX Amplifiers? I was just reading about them and on paper they seem fantastic as they are small and pack alot of power.
Old 16th August 2007, 19:44   #15
BANNED

Certainly, I haven't heard the latest Polks. The ones I heard was about 2years ago, when this ICE madness was just catching upto me.
If 3 gurus (great experts in ICE they are!) say they are aggressive, then it is for sure.
I'm sorry if my post was misguiding by anyway.

Regarding Focals, I've heard Navinji saying something bright about it. So, listen to them before you finalise on them.

It is evident from the posts here that Illusion is catching up these days on the forum. When is the next flight to Mumbai?

Most Viewed