Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Blaupunkt Velocity v/s JBL GTO

Hi guys

I have to get new components for my car. I have the following options available :

Blaupunkt velocity VPC 172 @7700 without bw
JBL GTO 607 @ 6300 with bw

Which one should I go in for ?

Also, I searched the forums for 2 hrs last night looking for reviews of the velocity but couldn't find them

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 30th August 2007 at 23:23. Reason: lost thread deleted.
Old 30th August 2007, 20:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
if you are ready to spend 7700 without B/W for component, check out the sound of infinity as well.
Old 30th August 2007, 20:59   #3
BHPian

Sure, I will check out the infinity range. Any specific speakers ?

I google for the vpc172. Seems they are blaupunkts competition series. Average price on the net is aorund 10000 with bw.

Also, they are 100 w @4ohm whereas GTO is 70@2ohm. My amp ( sony ) is capable of 70@4 and ( guessing ) around 100@2

I was hoping someone would also suggest a hertz model as I have heard a lot of good things about hertz in this forum.

Thanks

PS: All ratings are in rms
Old 30th August 2007, 21:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

I have to get new components for my car. I have the following options available :

Which one should I go in for ?

BTW, I posted this thread about 20 minutes back also, but I can't find it anywhere, so sorry if it is a double post.

Also, I searched the forums for 2 hrs last night looking for reviews of the velocity but couldn't find them

Thanks
Checkout Illusion El6.1 (6.5K) and Hertz components as well.

both sound very nice and are in same price range.

listen before you decide
Old 30th August 2007, 21:57   #5
BHPian

Illusion isn't available in Delhi :( as of yet

I am going to check out the hertz range too. Gunbir was kind enough to tell me of a dealer in Delhi, and turns out he is a bhpian.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:43   #6
BHPian

@sunny :
Illusions are not officially launched in NCR yet.

And Gunbir was kind enough to point out a shop where I could get a demo of hertz comps. So will listen to them next week.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 09:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sunny :
Illusions are not officially launched in NCR yet.

And Gunbir was kind enough to point out a shop where I could get a demo of hertz comps. So will listen to them next week.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Thanks
Illusions are available in delhi,plz PM LBM for more info.
he will arrange a demo session for u

and Hertz sound nice(i have been using them since last 2 weeks) but i wud suggest a demo of Illusions also as they are said to be more laidback sound.

need more info pm me your number
Old 31st August 2007, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

1. Gunbir is helpful as ever, do check out HERTZ.

2. As already said, PM B&T/LBM for illusion. He has some reliable sources.

3. Your JBL prices are on a higher side, do check with some other dealer as well.

4. PM irgahava, he's been using velocity.

5. Do go only by suggestions posted here, do an unbiased audition of brands before you decide.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Thanks everyone.
I will check out the hert range today.
I don't want to bother people much as I am only buying one set of speakers, so no point arranging demos and all. When I upgrade my car in march next year, then I will definitely listen to all brands available.

Thanks again, but any reviews on the VPC 172 ? They are from the 2005 series and are competition level speakers. From what I heard, 2005 series was one of the best by blaupunkt
Old 31st August 2007, 12:30   #10

Hi akg, I was planning to ask the same questions to the Gurus. However was comparing the Blau Vpc's to Kappa's. The specs of the Blaus as given on their site are:

Velocity, two-way component speaker system with 165mm diameter, 360 Watts and an Integrated Magnet System for high-end sound performance and maximum power.
Functions
2 way component speakers with Crossovers
165 mm in diameter
Crossover: cutoff - 2700 Hz, Tweeters levels - 0, -2.5 & -5 db, Slope - 18 & 12 db/octave *
IMC: Integrated Magnet system for faster efficient cooling
Woofer: Extremely stiff & light carbon fiber glass cones, provides distortion free sound reproduction at high volumes
Tweeter: 28mm fine silk tweeter, for extremely smooth & true-to-life high frequencies
Basket: Massive die-cast basket. Non-magnetic & resonance free for optimal motor construction
Max Power: 2 X 360 Watts
RMS Power: 2 X 120 Watts
A sound pressure level of 92 dB
Frequency Response: 40 – 20,000 Hz
Installation dept: 74.5mm
Sophisticated external crossover with variable slope & gain setting for precise, customized freq filtering

Cant make much from this (i.e. I, as a lesser mortal) except their RMS wattage: 2 X 120 Watts

Last edited by bubsyz : 31st August 2007 at 12:35.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well from my experience (not much but have owned Velocity's for 4 years now) they are quite bright with a metallic tinge in their sound. So, if you like your sound bright & forward they are pretty decent. But, if you like your sound to be laid back & not so bright then Infinity or Illusions are a much better bet.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsyz View Post
Hi akg, I was planning to ask the same questions to the Gurus. However was comparing the Blau Vpc's to Kappa's. The specs of the Blaus as given on their site are:

Velocity, two-way component speaker system with 165mm diameter, 360 Watts and an Integrated Magnet System for high-end sound performance and maximum power.
Functions
2 way component speakers with Crossovers
165 mm in diameter
Crossover: cutoff - 2700 Hz, Tweeters levels - 0, -2.5 & -5 db, Slope - 18 & 12 db/octave *
IMC: Integrated Magnet system for faster efficient cooling
Woofer: Extremely stiff & light carbon fiber glass cones, provides distortion free sound reproduction at high volumes
Tweeter: 28mm fine silk tweeter, for extremely smooth & true-to-life high frequencies
Basket: Massive die-cast basket. Non-magnetic & resonance free for optimal motor construction
Max Power: 2 X 360 Watts
RMS Power: 2 X 120 Watts
A sound pressure level of 92 dB
Frequency Response: 40 – 20,000 Hz
Installation dept: 74.5mm
Sophisticated external crossover with variable slope & gain setting for precise, customized freq filtering

Cant make much from this (i.e. I, as a lesser mortal) except their RMS wattage: 2 X 120 Watts
Well,specs are one thing but the real test is by individually listening to all considered brands
and any component will sound a bit different with different Amps(we need to feed the components the optimum power they need thats why)

so specifying the whole setup makes sense.

though infinity Kappa's have always been favs

recently lot of Bhp-ans are going for Illusions and Hertz and they have 2-3 diff price ranges

so hear them all before u decide.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:12   #13

I was looking at pairing these with a JBL 75.4. The problem is hearing the speakers - one can't really make out much at the dealer shops. I went to the Blaupunkt shop in Lajpat Nagar - they were running the Blau's with a Velocity amp - VPA 4120.

Cant seem to get to hear the Kappa's though (Elegant guys dont have it).

Just to clear what I am looking for:
(Sorry for hijacking your thread akg)
I have a Civic and do not want to mess too much with the stock locations - (no cutting)

I know the Gurus have been professing the need for a Sub to get complete sound - but was not very keen on it due to storage space issues.

Given these constraints, I was looking for a good set of components with a good mid bass. I already have rear speakers (coaxial JBL 636e -inherited from my old car). These I plan to run with a JBL 75.4.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:33   #14

Just to explain my setup
(Sorry for piggy-backing on your thread akg)

I have a Civic and want something to fit in stock locations.

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 636e - older avatars of GTO 637s (have them already - inherited from my old car)

Front Speakers - considering Blaupunkt Vpc 172 (heard them at the Lajpat Nagar Showroom) ; Infinity Kappas (Havent heard them but people have been singing praises about them); Illusion Luccent (Not sure if the 6.5" will will fit in stock location of the civic); and JBL Power series (havent heard them - not available with Elegant in Lajpat Nagar). Any advise here would be useful.

Amplifier: JBL 75.4 - Not bought it yet but pretty much decided on this.

Sub and Monoblock: I know the Gurus and others have been professing about it but I have never been able to understand the point of a speaker being placed in the boot of a 'three box car.' Its like in a Home theater where you place the sub in another room. Plus I need the Boot space which as it is tight in the Civic. Was hoping to get a good mid base from the components. I am not what one would call an Audiophile, but do like my music which can range from Madonna to Def Leppard (in the 80s & 90s) to Akon, Beyonce etc. more recently - majorly what one would classify as Pop(ular) music.

Thanks for any advice in advance and sorry if this not the right place for this post.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:12   #15
BHPian

@Bubsyz : I asked around about the infinity kappas. They are costing around 11.5k+

Also, did a search on the internet for reviews. Seems it is a good series. Ask Sam, he will shed some light on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks