Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 16:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Installer in calcutta

I know there are threads on accessory shops etc from cities, but I have a slightly different query, this is to the Calcutta guys, please help me with this.

I am sending out a reasonably high end audio setup to calcutta to be installed. The wires, Box and all woodwork will also go from Bangalore, but we need someone to install it without goofing up things.
I don't need a premium installer, just someone who has done some amp and sub installs and their work is decent. Rest I can guide over the phone too. I know there are some big shops too in calcutta, but the last time I went there they had this very funny attitude towards things not bought from them.

Help.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Same here. Am sending out some ICE hardware from here which my uncle has to install in his innova. Need to know a good place to get it installed.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I know there are some big shops too in calcutta, but the last time I went there they had this very funny attitude towards things not bought from them.
Ah yes. That is there.
I've been trying to get leads to a decent installer for the last couple of months. No luck. It has come to a situation where my ICE setup decisions are getting driven by which shop I install at.

@Nura was planning to entrust his Audison/Hertz/IDQ setup to a freelancer. I understand that this guy is no wizkid, but given directions he might be able to do a decent job. You could PM @Nura.

Will follow this thread closely - in case it throws up some new options.

Btw, who setup your Bro's SkodaRS ICE ? Won't that contact help ?
Old 4th September 2007, 17:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I know there are threads on accessory shops etc from cities, but I have a slightly different query, this is to the Calcutta guys, please help me with this.

I am sending out a reasonably high end audio setup to calcutta to be installed. The wires, Box and all woodwork will also go from Bangalore, but we need someone to install it without goofing up things.
I don't need a premium installer, just someone who has done some amp and sub installs and their work is decent. Rest I can guide over the phone too. I know there are some big shops too in calcutta, but the last time I went there they had this very funny attitude towards things not bought from them.

Help.

Hi,

you will find one of the best ICE installers in calcutta @ Samirs.. it is located on Theater Rd a.k.a Shakespeare Sarani.

It is 2 buildings from the LMG (lamartinere school for girls) shakespeare sarani crossing.

If there is any problem in locating the place, you can PM me.

cheers
Shrey
Old 4th September 2007, 17:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

shuvc where did Razor get his ICE installed from?
Old 4th September 2007, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Btw, who setup your Bro's SkodaRS ICE ? Won't that contact help ?
I myself was in calcutta when that install took place finally, and the shop we did it at was known but their skill was total '0'. So I cant rely on them when I am not present.
Old 4th September 2007, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
shuvc where did Razor get his ICE installed from?
Razor got it done from Glix and so did I and Shuvd. Must say the installers are not very adept at tuning the amp etc. but they do a pretty decent job of installing the basic stuff. However, all three of us bought the stuff from Glix (except the front compos in Razor's car which he got from B&T) so I'm not too sure about your other concern.
Old 4th September 2007, 21:25   #8
BHPian

What about Mirania? he used to be the best at one time.. I think he is now on the bypass...
Old 5th September 2007, 00:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
you will find one of the best ICE installers in calcutta @ Samirs.. it is located on Theater Rd a.k.a Shakespeare Sarani.
Do you have any first hand experiences here ? This is the first reference I am hearing of Samirs wrt to ICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
What about Mirania? he used to be the best at one time.. I think he is now on the bypass...
If I'm not mistaken, Mirania does not do ICE anymore. @nura's freelancer is an ex-Mirania guy.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

As Wimwian pointed out, the install was done at Glix. I agree with him about the amp tuning part - they're not good at that, and you would want to tune the setup yourself.
Having said that, the actual install was done well... though I supervised it all the way - had things fitted like I thought they should be. I don't think telling them what to do over the phone will help much. If you could tell the owner to be present during the install and supervise, it would be a good idea.

The only other place I know of which does high-end ICE installs is Wheels, located on Purna Das Rd near Triangular Park.

If you feel like you're getting a lukewarm response because you're not buying the stuff from them, talk to @nura as suggested. Maybe he can have his installer do the work for you.

Mirania's car accessory unit is practically shut down, and I have no idea about Samir's.
Old 7th September 2007, 00:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

So where's a good place in Kolkata to get a decent HU. something like a pio 5990 with bill and warranty. Any known place where you can get for cheap with a good discount. I will also need to get it fitted in the car.

Also where is Glix?
Old 7th September 2007, 02:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So where's a good place in Kolkata to get a decent HU. something like a pio 5990 with bill and warranty. Any known place where you can get for cheap with a good discount. I will also need to get it fitted in the car.

Also where is Glix?
You'll get the Pio with B&W at Glix. And he will give a discount if you have a reference. Most of us buy the HU's at grey prices, because we are assured of support from Vinay (Glix owner) even if something does go wrong.
Glix is located in Alipore.

There are a large number of car accessory stores in Cal. Glix is one of the good ones. Wheels (on Purna Das Rd) is another option.
Old 7th September 2007, 18:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
You'll get the Pio with B&W at Glix. And he will give a discount if you have a reference. Most of us buy the HU's at grey prices, because we are assured of support from Vinay (Glix owner) even if something does go wrong.
Glix is located in Alipore.

There are a large number of car accessory stores in Cal. Glix is one of the good ones. Wheels (on Purna Das Rd) is another option.
So what do i tell the glix chap for a reference? My uncle will be going there tomorrow.

Where exactly in Alipore is Glix.

Purna das road is where my uncle stays. Hows Wheels in terms of pricing? Where exactly on Purna Das road?
Old 8th September 2007, 19:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ Vid6639 - In Glix, either take my reference (S.Das) or razor (Abhishek Gupta). Glix is beside the Alipore Upper Crust. The building is at the junction and there is a "Mobile Store" in front. IIRC its 17D Alipore. Wheels is near Triangular Park, inside lane, near the Lenovo outlet.

P.S. Calcutta installers really don't like "outside" equipment.

Last edited by shuvd : 8th September 2007 at 19:32.
Old 9th September 2007, 00:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what do i tell the glix chap for a reference? My uncle will be going there tomorrow.

Where exactly in Alipore is Glix.

Purna das road is where my uncle stays. Hows Wheels in terms of pricing? Where exactly on Purna Das road?
Wheels is similar to Glix in terms of pricing. Installs are good. I had the sub and rear speakers installed there and have no complaints.
The only thing, as shuvd mentioned, is the question of fitting equipment you are not purchasing from them. Unless you have a reference, this may be a problem. Since a lot of us Team BHPians are known at Glix, this may help you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks