Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 17:18   #1

Music system for a soft top jeep

Hi,

I want to install a music system on a soft top. But i am concerned about the security of the equipment. I read from some other posts that i can rivet the speakers under the front seats and the main unit in the glove box. Though the speakers idea seems ok, but i dont have a metal lockable glove box as available in old jeeps.

I was thinking of only installing speakers and then using my ipod to do the rest of the stuff... But apparently i cant be using it without installation of atlease some extra equipment like an amp or the main unit

Can you please suggest a method by which i could address the security concerns!! (with or without using the main unit)

Regards
mandeep

PS: Apologies if something looks to be out of place. Am not very conversant with this stuf...
Old 5th September 2007, 11:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
I was thinking of only installing speakers and then using my ipod to do the rest of the stuff... But apparently i cant be using it without installation of atlease some extra equipment like an amp or the main unit...
in the old days you used to get Hu's which were removable. Nowadays only the front face of the HU is removable and Ihave seen HU's without their front faces stolen too.

one option would be get a cheap OEM HU. Many audio buffs replace their perfectly fine OEM HUs for better/different HUs. THe dealer usually buys these for 1-2K and if you can find a dealer who has these you can get one for not much more.

After all all you need the HU for is as a preamp. Once you get the HU the amp and speakers can be installed discretly and can be bolted in place. Discretion is the best option when you have an open vehicle..
Old 6th September 2007, 09:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

Why not skip the HU and rivet an amp under one of the seats too ?
ie, if you are willing to take that $risk$. It takes 5 seconds to get through a pop-rivet.

cya
R
Old 6th September 2007, 09:51   #4

Ok. Thx for your replies

Will think...
Old 6th September 2007, 10:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nothing that a bit of sheet metal fab cannot handle. The best place to mount would be the underside of the front seat (mechanically safe, discrete, and unless you are trying to ford a river in full spate, unlikely to get your stuff wet) and under the 'dash'. Some pics of your Jeep would help visualize - there are always nooks and crannies that can be utilized.

1. Blaupunkt has a disk-less HU (FM + AUX-IN + iPod + Bluetooth + SD-card) model Melbourne SD27. Front plate is removable. Can take streamed audio from cellphones over Bluetooth
2. Use a small rugged amp (Navin-ji, any suggestions?)
3. JBL has marine-grade speakers (not sure if they are readily available - Sam can advise) which can be mounted under the dash discretely
4. If you need serious thump, use a tube below the rear seat (if there is one) strapped / bolted to the floor
5. Bolt the HU + Amp to a thickish metal sheet, make a sheet metal cover for the whole thing with only slots / holes for the wires, sockets & convection cooling. Mount the whole thing invered under the seat

Expert advice on the fabrication is available from @LBM-Metall-Fabrik-Werken, Freedabad, HR (branchej in Amrika and Kanada, mil to lein) [Sorry LBM-bhai, subah subah maskhari karne ka man hua. I couldn't hink of anyone more accomplished than you for advising on the fab aspect]
Old 6th September 2007, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
\Expert advice on the fabrication is available from @LBM-Metall-Fabrik-Werken, Freedabad, HR (branchej in Amrika and Kanada, mil to lein)
I think in that case he needs to open up a branch at Raigarpura, Karol Bagh and paint the ad across walls near railway tracks surrounding delhi borders.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expert advice on the fabrication is available from @LBM-Metall-Fabrik-Werken, Freedabad, HR (branchej in Amrika and Kanada, mil to lein) [Sorry LBM-bhai, subah subah maskhari karne ka man hua. I couldn't hink of anyone more accomplished than you for advising on the fab aspect]
Hahahahhahaha good one Old Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I think in that case he needs to open up a branch at Raigarpura, Karol Bagh and paint the ad across walls near railway tracks surrounding delhi borders.
Yaar Panty, kyon mazaak kar raha hai! Why should he paint his ads near railway tracks? Fabrikashun works hain bhai, koi "Gupt Rog" yaa "Sablok Clinic" thode hi hai!
Old 6th September 2007, 12:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post

I was thinking of only installing speakers and then using my ipod to do the rest of the stuff... But apparently i cant be using it without installation of atlease some extra equipment like an amp or the main unit
Mandeep, if you're not bothered about SQ, you can eliminate the HU. Simply connect your music source like iPod/MP3/portable CD player directly to the amplifier. (Yuck, I know, but foolproof security assured )

However, if you are looking for SQ, you can consider other opinions here.

Please remember that if you install a HU, turn down the volume or switch off the system before approaching a parking place.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nothing that a bit of sheet metal fab cannot handle.
1. Blaupunkt ..Melbourne SD27. Front plate is removable.
2. Use a small rugged amp (Navin-ji, any suggestions?)
3. JBL has marine-grade speakers
4. If you need serious thump, use a tube below the rear seat
5. Bolt the HU + Amp to a thickish metal sheet, make a sheet metal cover for the whole thing with only slots / holes for the wires, sockets & convection cooling. Mount the whole thing invered under the seat
The SD27 is as likely to be stolen as any other HU but if the purpose of this system is to keep i water and dust free one would need to consider fabrication along with rubber grommets etc...but taking care of heat build up.

A bass tube is hardly water proof. most are made of some board that wold not survive being wet for too long. then again in an open top how much bass would you hear.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

see ishan, its all about brand equity (recognition in particular). IMHO, thats a perfect site! intown hoardings are quite expensive @ 1L per month. Cost benefit analysis you see!!
Old 6th September 2007, 14:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, @mandeep, but anyhow you would have realized by now that ICE section does not have normally-thinking people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Fabrikashun works hain bhai, koi "Gupt Rog" yaa "Sablok Clinic" thode hi hai!
That's OK, 19-20 ka difference. That is also about Pump not working, shaft rusted or drains clogged etc.

But, where has Dr. LBM gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The SD27 is as likely to be stolen as any other HU but if the purpose of this system is to keep i water and dust free one would need to consider fabrication along with rubber grommets etc...but taking care of heat build up.

A bass tube is hardly water proof. most are made of some board that wold not survive being wet for too long. then again in an open top how much bass would you hear.
The mounting (under seat, with bolted cover, riveted vitals) is itself likely to be a serious deterrent to anyone but the most determined or one who knows how it was done.

The HU, as I had visualized, would only have just the front plate part peeking through a hole (+2mm around the FP) with no obvious way of unmounting as compared to conventional mountings. This would be similar to the way a laptop was mounted behind the seat in that thread in the DIY section, except done in sheet metal and mounted *below* the seat.

You are right about the 'cardboard' part of the tube, perhaps a FG tube would be better. Though missing 'car compartment gain', it would be much better than nothing. It is anyhow optional.
Old 6th September 2007, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, where has Dr. LBM gone?
Sir I am no Dr. here...but I am just a hobbyist nothing more.
Old 6th September 2007, 17:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Don't lie, Panty was telling me that you now have opened up a "Dr. LBM Gupt Rog Clinic" in Freedabad
Old 6th September 2007, 18:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Oye pappe, most people are conferred doctorates by edu institutions (look, even Shilpa Shetty was - no comparison to you), but due to your exemplary "hobbyist" work, for us - and all T-BHPians would gladly agree - you are the mild mannered good natured chamatkari ICE-doctor.

So Doctor-saab, @mandeep's problems are waiting for your golden touch.

And @iraghava, @panty (tchah, even I am getting carried away because of @iraghava's naughty corruptions; sorry sir - @Panky-ji): shush, doctor at work; keep quiet, otherwise he will give injection, OK?

PS: Sorry, I must modify that to "mild mannered good natured chamatkari ICE-doctor, who is the epitome of humility and sea of the milk of kindness" - and I am not doing maskhari, I am serious

Last edited by DerAlte : 6th September 2007 at 18:45.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are right about the 'cardboard' part of the tube, perhaps a FG tube would be better. Though missing 'car compartment gain', it would be much better than nothing. It is anyhow optional.
agreed but I dont think anyone makes a FG tube.

Most Viewed