Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 18:50   #1
BHPian

ICE - Santro

one of the installer in chennai said that he doesn't recommend JBL amp coz it TRIPS is it real, and mostly installers in chennai don't recommend JBL amp and sub, they do alpine and pioneer

gurus which do u think is best for santro, my budget is around 10k for sub and amp
Old 5th September 2007, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

UGH! Total bosh and nonsense! I'd recommend you not go to that dealer at all. He is lying through his teeth, and trying to push some stuff onto you for his own benefit (regardless of whether what he's pushing is good stuff or not).

There is nothing wrong with JBL amps. They are very good amps and pretty much value-for-money. The JBL 75.4 is a particular favourite here.

Nothing wrong with Alpine and Pioneer either (as long as you get genuine stuff -- of course this applies to JBL too).

10K for sub and amp is a bit tight as you'll need to spend money on wiring also, and then maybe a bit of damping.

Sub: Pio 306 (3.5K) + box (1K to 1.5K) or JBL GT4-12 (5K)
Amp: Blau GTA 275 or JBL CS60.2 (about 4.5-5K)
Wiring (Power & RCA): 1.5 to 2K.

BTW, which dealer gave you this "inside info" about JBL? I'm sure Sam would be interested in knowing that
Old 5th September 2007, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

I total disagree here...OR i would put it in other words. Incorrect installation will cause any good product to fail.

So ask you dealer to keep his view to himself as you have TEAM-BHP to help you on the same.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vinod, there are instances where improper installations/insufficient experience or experience with fake stuff makes people say things like this. In your case however, since the person is a dealer, I suspect the same that Hydra does - plain and simple monetary benefit by wrong means.

I have 2 JBL amplifiers, I have played them loud enough and they have never tripped. I have recommended JBL stuff to so many of my friends and you'd be surprised how many people have got JBL stuff in their cars after I got them - trust me, no one ever had this 'tripping' nightmare.

If JBL was your choice, get the JBLs with your eyes closed. It is a very respected brand and you can conveniently ignore your installer's opinion.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 5th September 2007 at 23:16.
Old 6th September 2007, 08:53   #5
BHPian

@Vino, there are installers in chennai who recommend the JBL. I have JBL setup in my swift, they are good. If you are interseted in audision you are welcome to do it in my car.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:12   #6
BHPian

thanx gurus,

@hydrashok, forgot the name of the dealer, will give it u soon

i will go for JBL sub and amp thats for SURE, ok now my budget is 15k, can i go for JBL 75.4 ?? and what sub pls

@gmano where did u install ur ICE in chennai, and where can i find you ??
Old 6th September 2007, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have also had dealers tell me that the 75.4 trips, and cannot be used to drive a subwoofer. But in all the instances that I have used the 75.4 in a setup, this has never happened.
Old 6th September 2007, 11:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

This one comes from a user of the 75.4 in 2-Ch bridged mode to drive a DVC sub. I have had no issues so far.
Old 6th September 2007, 11:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

As everybody pointed out, you know what....its a classic case of improper installation.

During my initial days of ICE, do you imagine what happened? Here you go....

I went to a local installer with someones reference....yaar gaadi mein dhoom chik dhoom chik chaiye..I was on a strictly tight budget. The guy told "bhai sahab chinta mat karo, aisa banunga maza aa jayega". I thanked God! chalo, atleast a guy who's VFM, bahut dhoka khaa liya.
He thought for a while, consulted 1-2 chottus....yaar yeh 222 do boofer uthha lega? malum nahin....they replied. "Ruk!" bhai sahab se poochta hoon. He called up some expert (referred to bhai sahab above), he told yes do boofer uthha lega, lekin local. He "custom made" a 3 ft box accomodating 2 Pio 6X9s and 2 12" local woofers, took a 222; powered 6X9 off each channel and and the same time, powered 2 12" in parallel in bridged mode on the same channels, and put the gain to MAX. poor 222 tripped after 2 min....he removed 15A fuse, and put a 50A fuse in that, and it was all set for bolo tara ra ra.

I enjoyed this set up for 15 days, till the time it developed seious troubles with battery.

Moral of the story: NEVER trust these roadside installers, they dont know anything about proper installations and end up screwing your precious equipment. I can say this because I personally use more # of better speakers (JBL) and amps now (JBL and Pio) without any issues.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:30   #10
BHPian

how much will be for JBL four channel and a sub for my santro gurus plus wiring etc.. is damping compulsory after a sub is installed ...
Old 6th September 2007, 12:47   #11
BHPian

@gmano pls tell good installer in chennai thanx....
Old 6th September 2007, 13:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Sub: Pio 306 (3.5K) + box (1K to 1.5K) or JBL GT4-12 (5K)
Amp: Blau GTA 275 or JBL CS60.2 (about 4.5-5K)
Wiring (Power & RCA): 1.5 to 2K...
For bass duty the PA275 is a good amp, better than the 60.2. However in a pinch the Sony 552 (rs. 3K) will also do. yesit is a bit grainy but you really wont notice. BTW the Pio 306 is replaced with newer models including the 307.
Old 6th September 2007, 15:33   #13
BHPian

i would like to go for JBL 75.4 is it good amp ?? and what JBL sub would i have to go ???

what would be total cost including wiring ???

is damping really necessary

gurus
Old 6th September 2007, 17:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

JBL 75.4 retails for MRP 12990/- You can opt for JBL tube or box, depending upon your tastes.
Old 6th September 2007, 23:01   #15
BHPian

I am doing my installs with a guy in Royapettah, if you want his contacts I will send you by PM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks