Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 17:11   #1

To make my ipod loud enough in my car

Hi guys,

I am having Maruti 800. I am planning to go for a music system. Here are my requirements:

1. My budget is less than 8000 including HU & speakers.
2. I am having 20 GB ipod, and i like to hear different playlist daily which i put in ipod, so i dont want to use anything in the HU even the radio also.

Since i am having Ipod, i just want to amplify it to the speakers. So going for amplifier with speaker is a better option (or) the usual setup with HU and speakers?
-> I am thinking the capability for cd mp3 processing and radio will cost extra for a HU, so better go for amplifier also if cheaper.
-> Also if i can get an amplifier for the same budget of 8k including speakers, obviously the sound quality will be good as we dont pay for the HU unit extra..

These are my thinking, please help me out...waiting for your reply guys... i was googling and finally got this forum.. this one seems really good as 30 users are viewing this forum section alone...
Old 6th September 2007, 18:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get basic HU (JVC) for app 3.5K, front Pio/Sony 1.5K, Rear Pio/Sony 2.5K, FM modulator for 400-500. Add another 80 Rs. for ciggerate lighter to plug in your FM modulator. Install (including wires) : FOC if you buy at one go from one place. See if can source a used 222 for 1.5K as well.
Old 6th September 2007, 18:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Install (including wires) : FOC if you buy at one go from one place. See if can source a used 222 for 1.5K as well.
Thanks a lot man, for your quick reply...as am a newbee, i dont know what you are refering in the above quote.

Is the HU you are referring has ipod connection, even i dont want to select any songs of ipod in the HU, i can create playlists in my ipod and play them, the HU just want to send to the speaker, whatever my ipod is playing. Will this do it?

thanks man...

Last edited by boo3dmax : 6th September 2007 at 19:02.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

the ipod will connect to the hu using the fm modulator or itrip.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:23   #5
BHPian

My choice:

1. Try to get a Cassette player HU which has AUX-IN port & atleast 1 pre-amp out (Max. 1k for a used one)
2. Go in for 6x9 (oval) speakers for rear - suggestions - Alpine, JBL, Blaupunkt, Boston - Listen to them and decide (approx 2.5-3k grey)
3. No use installing 4" speakers in the front, instead of that get a two channel amp (JBL CS 60.2 Rs.3.5-4k grey). You can buy 6" front components (can be fitted on the doors) later when you feel rich

Total will be 1k+3k+4K = 8K + 1k for installation & wires

Exceeded your budget..Howzzat?? (if you are really tight on budget, look out for used 2 channel amps).

If you are totally new to ICE, PM me, I am in bangalore too, I can help you.

Last edited by gopz : 6th September 2007 at 19:29.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the ipod will connect to the hu using the fm modulator or itrip.
Sound quality will be real bad if iPod is played using FM modulators.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:24   #7

so i have to buy Itrip or fm modulator for my ipod right? I heard that transmitting ipod songs using itrip will considerably affect the quality of the song. Why dont that have the Sound Input pin?
Old 6th September 2007, 19:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo3dmax View Post
just want to send to the speaker, whatever my ipod is playing. Will this do it?
The HU or amp is needed to amplify the signal from your iPod (the headphone signal is strong enough only for the headphone). I don't think you can do with only the amp - the headphone signal is again not strong enough to get decently loud output.

What you need to do is
- get a low-cost HU, which has at least 1 AUX-IN and one Preamp-out (even if you don't put an amp for now)
- get a cable that will connect the headphone socket of the iPod to the AUX-IN of the HU
- put speakers on front (and rear, if you want) doors and have them connected to the HU
- connect the iPod and enjoy the music

In case you think the quality or loudness is not enough, add a low-cost 2 or 4 channel amp to the setup. The HU Preamp-out will be connected to the amp, and the speakers will be shifted from the HU to the amp.

What @panky said was:
- if you buy everything as a package from a dealer, it is llikely that the dealer will throw in the connecting wires for free
- the 222 is a small 2 channel amp (@panky, are you referring to Sony 552 by any chance?) - you can get a used one fairly cheap. If you get one right away, you could test fire the amp connected directly to the iPod. If it is loud enough for you, you need not get the HU.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:27   #9

hi gopz, i think your idea is fine better, coz i just need an amplifier and no other functionaliy...
Just want to make sure, the AUX thing will not reduce the quality of the ipod right? Also as i mentioned whatever sound ipod is producing will be given in AUX and of the player and then to speaker, right?
Old 6th September 2007, 19:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
exactly my thoughts.

ICE gurus, is it not possible to eliminate the HU, and just have the amplifier and a stereo-in? i think that's what he is looking for.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
exactly my thoughts.

ICE gurus, is it not possible to eliminate the HU, and just have the amplifier and a stereo-in? i think that's what he is looking for.
Can be done - no reason why not.

Usually the headphone sockets put out 0.5V p-p, which may not be enough for a small amp to amplify to loud levels - they expect 2V p-p. Has to be tried out - some of them MAY have gain high enough to handle that.
Old 6th September 2007, 19:43   #12

its quiet out of subject, what do you think about this:
eBay India: Car Stereo DVD CD MP3/MP4 FM USB SD 4X40W Free Shipping (item 180155198331 end time 11-Sep-2007 22:53:58 IST)

for 5k in mg road? i got your valuable inputs, will do some analysis and get back here again...
Old 6th September 2007, 20:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Blaupunkt GTA series amps have a direct aux-in facility. You don't need a HU, if you just want to play your iPod (or any other music player)

The GTA 275 (2 channel amp) is about 6K and the GTA 475 (4-ch amp) is about 10K.
Old 6th September 2007, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Sony has a HU for 4.5k which has AUX in. You can connect ipod to it directly. That will serve your purpose
Old 7th September 2007, 00:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Agree. I had used a FM transmitter with a sony cassette and FM player. I used a FM transmitter with my Transcend mp3 player and the bass used to be weak there. Later I connected the MP3 player with a cassette type of adapter which had a connector jack to plug in headphone socket of the player and it improved the loudness and sound quality. After few months, that cassette started making kinda noise, as it had a gear mechanism to simulate an audio cassette's tape spools.

Is it possible to connect the iPod directly to an Amp?(May be an already answered question, but pls, again)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks