Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Mercedes E220 (W124 series) setup

I need a basic setup for my Mercedes E220 (w124 series).

Speakers must go in stock locations.

No Subwoofer to be fitted, need full boot space.

I have decided not to fit an amplifier for now due to budget reasons.

Requirements:
1 Head Unit
4 Speakers – 2 sets of components?

Music I listen to: mainly mainstream bollywood, classical English and Indian, English pop and the radio.
I spend a lot of my time talking in the car with family members, music will be playing mainly in the background. Once in a while I may get the urge to play a track loud, but not for long. All I want is good clean sound.

Head Unit
I have an Ipod Nano, I would like to use that as one of my main sources of music. My only looks requirement is that the screen and buttons must show in orange colour to match the dashboard (Yeh, I know I am vain!)
Thinking of Alpine/Pioneer/Blaupunkt

Speakers
What are the speaker hole sizes in a E220 - w124 for front and rear?
Most will recommend components in the front and coaxial in the rear. My query is that one day I might be lucky enough to get a driver, should I consider components in the rear as well; for future proofing and getting a good soundstage?
Note, I have a hearing problem, does this affect which brand of speakers I go for?

Budget
Can I get a good system with the above requirements and a reputable installer who knows how to take apart and put back together a Mercedes for Rs20,000? Haven’t decided whether I will be buying with bill or without.
How should I split the budget between HU and speakers?

Installer?
Any recommendations in Pune for fitting the above to my car. Must be able to fit very clean and make it look original.

Fire away any more info you might need in helping me.

Thanks

Raja
Old 10th September 2007, 15:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post

I need a basic setup for my Mercedes E220 (w124 series).
Requirements:
1 Head Unit
4 Speakers – 2 sets of components?

Note, I have a hearing problem, does this affect which brand of speakers I go for?

Budget 20,000.
What sort of hearing problem?

Most would reommend a pair of components in the front (5" or 6") and a pair of 6x9 in the rear for about 10K and a good HU for about 10K.

Speakers: JBL GTO, Hertz Energy, Illusion Electra, Blaupunkt THc/Thx,
HU: Alpine 9846/9870, Blau MP46, Pio 7950, Kenwood 5028
Old 10th September 2007, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What sort of hearing problem?

Most would recommend a pair of components in the front (5" or 6") and a pair of 6x9 in the rear for about 10K and a good HU for about 10K.

Speakers: JBL GTO, Hertz Energy, Illusion Electra, Blaupunkt THc/Thx,
HU: Alpine 9846/9870, Blau MP46, Pio 7950, Kenwood 5028

Hi have problems listening to higher frequencies. Any quality speaker recommendations that don't put a strain on the higher frequencies?

If I go for 6x9's in the rear; would it mean rear seat passengers are getting an inferior soundstage compared to the front seat passengers?
Old 11th September 2007, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi have problems listening to higher frequencies. Any quality speaker recommendations that don't put a strain on the higher frequencies?

If I go for 6x9's in the rear; would it mean rear seat passengers are getting an inferior soundstage compared to the front seat passengers?
Which one of these describes your problem best:
- "I don't like listening to high frequencies"
- "I get irritated by shrill tones"
- "I prefer listening to vocals and bass rather than tinkling sounds"?
- "I get ear pain / headache listening to high frequencies"
- "None of these, my problem is something else"

If it is any of the first three, you are describing a preference for sound that is "not bright" in the gurus' parlance.

Infinity, Hertz, Illusion, etc. all have component models with silk/fabric dome tweeters, which are "not bright". Perhaps if you audition some, you can figure out yourself which works best for you. The Pune boys will be glad to help out there. And then there is the Right Reverend @Bass&Trouble in Mumbai - he can show you some real smooth sounding setups.

Yes, the 6x9s on the parcel shelf do create a soundstage behind the rear seat passengers - most seem to find that OK in the interest of the higher bass that the 6x9's give. In that regard, door mounting is better for the soundstage.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:12   #5
BHPian

DeAlte
My problem is that I cannot hear the higher frequencies. If some talks too quietly, I cannot hear what they have said.

Pune guys, where is the best place to audition Infinity, Hertz, Illusion, etc...? Any dealer recommendations?

For HU, Blaupunkt units fit my looks criteria (available in Orange colour buttons) but Pioneer 7950 fits my features requirement.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:51   #6
BHPian

I would recommend Poona Motors in the MG road area , I have had quite a few installations done from him and he does a reasonably good job , he also has a whole wide range of equipment , I think you will find everything you need there contact Vineet on 9370313451..
Old 11th September 2007, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni View Post
I would recommend Poona Motors in the MG road area , I have had quite a few installations done from him and he does a reasonably good job , he also has a whole wide range of equipment , I think you will find everything you need there contact Vineet on 9370313451..
Thanks for the recommendation, that is actually going to be my first call either today or tomorrow.
Any other dealers?
I normally like to shop around to get an idea of what is available in the market and at what price before I finally purchase.
Old 11th September 2007, 14:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my mom has similar problems and her car is fitted with Infinity speakers.
Old 11th September 2007, 19:01   #9

"My only looks requirement is that the screen and buttons must show in orange colour to match the dashboard "

Does the E220 you bought have an orange dashboard?? Or are you saying you want a contrast with some other color? I'm asking because I've never seen a W124 with a orange dashboard..

Btw, when are you putting up details of your buy?
Old 11th September 2007, 20:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My problem is that I cannot hear the higher frequencies. If some talks too quietly, I cannot hear what they have said.
The most substantial part speech would be mostly consisting of mid-range frequencies. Normally, the human ear is most sensitive in this region. It would be difficult to find a speaker that has greater emphasis in just this particular frequency band. One solution would be to buy a good pair of speakers and use an equalizer in this band to boost the level of the mid-band.
Old 11th September 2007, 21:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E250Dreamcar View Post
"My only looks requirement is that the screen and buttons must show in orange colour to match the dashboard "

Does the E220 you bought have an orange dashboard?? Or are you saying you want a contrast with some other color? I'm asking because I've never seen a W124 with a orange dashboard..

Btw, when are you putting up details of your buy?

I have just posted a very quick description and some photos in the long term ownership section.

What I mean is when I turn the lights on at night, the interior colour for the dashboard is a orange colour. The lights in the switches are orange as well, that's why I wanted to try and match the head unit. (When I say orange, I also mean Orange/Red. Not only am I going deaf, I am probably colour blind also?)

Gunbir has kindly informed me that the stock locations take 4inch speakers only. He has told about some Hertz speakers that he has installed in another w124. If I plan to keep to the stock location, then I will be very limited in my choice of speakers. If I start cutting, then my options open up drastically.

I would still prefer to keep to stock location. I might have to re-consider my budget to get quality speakers to overcome my hearing problem.

Last edited by Raja : 11th September 2007 at 21:38.
Old 12th September 2007, 07:44   #12
BHPian

After reading threads in the ICE section (4" Components for Spark thread was very useful), I am coming to the following options:

HERTZ Energy ECX100 Rs 4800
HERTZ Hi-Energy HCX100 Rs 7500
Illusion Audio EL 4.1 Rs 5000

(Any other serious 4" components I might be missing?)

As 4" speakers produce very little bass, I might need to cancel other projects and divert funds to a Subwoofer and amplifier.
Any recommendations to go with the above speakers?
Old 12th September 2007, 09:10   #13
BANNED

Hi,

I had recently installed JBL 5" co-axials in the OE locations in my W124 E220 thru Sam and JBL 6x9's along with a 4 channel amp and Pioneer 6950HU. It sounds excellent and meets my dad's requirements which was good quality sound & clarity.

Viper
Old 12th September 2007, 09:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HERTZ Hi-Energy HCX100 Rs 7500
Illusion Audio EL 4.1 Rs 5000

(Any other serious 4" components I might be missing?)

As 4" speakers produce very little bass, I might need to cancel other projects and divert funds to a Subwoofer and amplifier.
Any recommendations to go with the above speakers?
You have done well. As the 4" will be pushed to even reproduce 80Hz you will need careful subwoofer matching. If you HU has Time Alignment it will help bring the bass upfront.
Old 12th September 2007, 09:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

What are the stock speaker location sizes for the W124?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks