Team-BHP - Battery chargers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Battery chargers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/28659-battery-chargers-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akg7091 (Post 560354)
@ jaggu Who told you that a fully charged lead acid ( 6 cell ) battery has an open terminal voltage of 13.6 ?
check here Amara Raja - Tips
It is 12.66 according to amaron. ALso, just google it. You can see almost all manufacturers, sites, encyclopedias mentioning it as 12.65~12.7

lil birdie once told me, i might be wrong. BUT i think you have a problem in your electricals if you face discharge with the ICE set up you mentioned (let me add, you need additional battery for ice).

Thanks guys.
Next query for you all :

Does anyone know of some installer in NCR who can install an additional battery using a tank circuit ?

Thanks

Looking at the reluctancy, I can only remember the lyrics:

"There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven"

akg, I think you need to learn from the gurus. Just a simple request.

Ok guys. I was/am wrong as I am not a 'guru'
I have mentioned the setup. I have mentioned that I got the alternator checked in front of me. I clearly said this problem is not a major one and the battery SLOWLY discharges after MANY MONTHS not days/weeks.
I just wanted to know if someone knows where I can buy a battery charger. People here just expect the 'gurus' to know everything. Can someone pls tell me where I am/was wrong. Should I charge my battery till it shows a rested open terminal voltage of 13.6. Do you think that is possible ?

Should I redo all the wiring even though I know everything shuts off after I have switched off the ignition and taken the key out. ( I have measured the current draw after switching off the engine/ice etal and it is not much )
Just because Someone has more posts doesn't mean he/she is always right.
I am always willing to learn and that is not the issue. I have posted the exact problems and I guess I may be the only one experiencing them.

As I mentioned, I am using about 550+ watts of power in my ICE continously ( output measured at the volume level I usually listen at using DMM over a period of approx 2 minutes. It is not an exact figure, but the approximate value )
Also, as I am using class AB amplifiers, it is safe to assume atleast 400 watts as heat. So around 900 watts is continously being used which is equivalent to 75 amperes. That is a huge amount and maybe, just maybe, the Indica alternator doesn't have that much to spare. Am I wrong in assuming that ??

However, I do think this thread is about to become a pointless discussion.
I do appreciate all the help guys, esp panky, jaggu, raghu, navin ji and all others who took an interest.
Apologies in case someone is offended by my post, but I assure everyone that this is not my intention sorry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by akg7091 (Post 560910)
People here just expect the 'gurus' to know everything. Can someone pls tell me where I am/was wrong.

Just because Someone has more posts doesn't mean he/she is always right.
I am always willing to learn and that is not the issue.

Even the gurus come here to learn, trust me. I'm sure the gurus would agree with this statement openly and it is not a bad/humiliating thing to not know something and learn.

No one here has mentioned the number of posts you have or he has, we've never seen someone being treated based on that here. I am here since Feb 2007, go ahead and see how much I've posted - on a serious note. You can see that everything is from July/Aug '07 onwards. Because I've learnt a lot by reading. You may know much more than me or many others here, but I am just telling you that the biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.

You should really focus on the topic of discussion. This conversation will only grow to arguments from here.

Since I asked you to follow the gurus' advice, I am trying that extra little to tell you what I meant. I said that with a smile and I am saying this with a smile as well. See, :)

Quote:

clearly said this problem is not a major one and the battery SLOWLY discharges after MANY MONTHS not days/weeks. I just wanted to know if someone knows where I can buy a battery charger.
This is not a common phenomenon. Your battery cannot drain out in 6 months or so with the system that you're running. There seems to be something wrong which so many people have suggested. It is a good suggestion to check what is wrong instead of changing something else and leaving the problem. It is going to save you money and all the hassles that the charger is going to bring in.

Quote:

Should I redo all the wiring even though I know everything shuts off after I have switched off the ignition and taken the key out. ( I have measured the current draw after switching off the engine/ice etal and it is not much )
You can get the alternator checked again, by someone other than the TATA dealer, someone who can look into it with time and patience. Get back and people here would be more than happy to help you out.

Quote:

As I mentioned, I am using about 550+ watts of power in my ICE continously (output measured at the volume level I usually listen at using DMM over a period of approx 2 minutes. It is not an exact figure, but the approximate value )

Also, as I am using class AB amplifiers, it is safe to assume atleast 400 watts as heat. So around 900 watts is continously being used which is equivalent to 75 amperes. That is a huge amount and maybe, just maybe, the Indica alternator doesn't have that much to spare. Am I wrong in assuming that ??
I am running a 60.4 (240) + 300.1 (300) = 540. I'm sure LBM is running more than twice as much as we are. Honestly, It is not that the gurus know everything, but they do deserve the respect for the knowledge and experience. We are not debating your system's capability. It is just that so many of run similar systems with no issues and there should be no reason why you would have them.

Quote:

Apologies in case someone is offended by my post, but I assure everyone that this is not my intention sorry:
No offence taken. :)

P.S: Mods, this is a long post and please feel free to edit/delete anything you find unsuitable.

@ raghu : I said it with a smile too, just that there is no way I can express it all using words ( ohhhhhhh these forums ! It is always sooooooo much better when you discuss something face to face ) It is just that I got a bit irritated when people just assumed I was being stubborn/difficult when I had no such intentions. I was also just putting forth my views, that's all. I have learned soooo much from this forum that I just don't know where to begin. And trust me, this would have never turned into an argument, as we are all friends here and just having a small misunderstanding.
Hopefully, no one is put off by any of my posts, but if anyone is then I am really really sorry please:

Thanks for the reply guys. Will get the alternator checked again, maybe at a local shop.

On the side note : I have built a 230 ac to 13.8 dc transformer from the spares I had lying around. I have put in a diode to prevent reverse flow in any case. It is a constant current transformer ( so basically a float charger )
I will keep posted as to the results of this little 'experiment'

And, henceforth no more OT posts from me, pakka.

[quote=akg7091;560972
Thanks for the reply guys. Will get the alternator checked again, maybe at a local shop.

On the side note : I have built a 230 ac to 13.8 dc transformer from the spares I had lying around. I have put in a diode to prevent reverse flow in any case. It is a constant current transformer ( so basically a float charger )
I will keep posted as to the results of this little 'experiment'.[/QUOTE]

AKG,

1. while you are getting the alternator checked also ask a competent electrician to check every relay. If you have a tong tester see if there is any excessive current drain while the car is off. You may find that the BOSS capacitor is draining your battery.

2. You are free to build or buy a battery charger. there are many freely available in Mumbai's electronics market. I am sure there will be just as many where you are. but an easier way to charge your battery (atleast this is what I used to do when I had a big system in my car) was to run the car at about 1500 rpm for 15 min every 4-6 months or so. If you feel unsure you cna install a battery level meter and a altimeter (to check how the alternator is charging).

@ navin :
I got the boss capacitor installed just 2 weeks ago ( maybe 3 ), so I reasonabley sure that this is not the cause of my problem.
I will get all this checked out once I am free from my exams.

Thanks

A car alternator always has an in-built or strapped-on regulator circuit card with it. Please specifically have the functioning of this checked for your alternator.
Also, in case you are not aware, for charging a battery it's better to have ripple in the output rather than well filtered DC. Full wave rectified AC is good. Constant current chargers might be a bit slow for many applications. My apologies, if you are already aware of this.

Navin, sorry, but...
Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 561089)
...and a altimeter (to check how the alternator is charging).

That's a new one. Is that a typo, or does such an instrument really exist for the claimed purpose?
Please bear with me; it's just that I've never encountered this before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 571713)
Is that a typo, or does such an instrument really exist for the claimed purpose?

Mathur sahab, ammeter in common parlance, to check how much current is being drawn by battery in charging mode?

S***, I'm sorry! Just didn't strike me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 571713)
That's a new one. Is that a typo, or does such an instrument really exist for the claimed purpose?

it is a typo. A friend of mine just installed an altimeter in his landrover (he is heading to the himalayas or somehwere like that) and my senile mind must have mixed it up.

Hey akg7091

Check out RS Components site

Automotive

I'm sure you'll find something for yourself

Thanks Harsh. Checked out the site but they are very overpriced on that site. I have built a simple constant voltage float charger, I have to include a timer somehow to ensure it cuts off after some time to prevent gassing though. Will be doing it next month sometime.

Thanks again. BTW, are you one of the guys who built the car in DCE ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akg7091 (Post 580654)
BTW, are you one of the guys who built the car in DCE ?

Yes he is......check out the following thread...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...ircuit-uk.html