Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 14:21   #31
BHPian

Loud cracking sounds from one speaker

Hi gurus, I have a similar problem, though a little simpler.

I have a simple set up in my car. I have a Pioneer HU with JBL speakers, CS at the front, directly connected to the HU and GTO 6X9 at the back through a Clarion amp at the back.

For some time now, the left rear speaker has been giving out loud cracking sounds much like a spark as if some wiring contact is loose. The sound remains equally loud whatever the volume I set, and it is usually pretty loud. The timing is not clear. It usually starts some time after I start driving and often is linked to jerky rough patches on the road, though sometimes, the sound comes even on a smooth stretch of road.

I have tightened all the screws on the amp and checked the jacks on the HU. No improvement. I used a different HU and the sound still continued. I tried a different speaker and the sound continued. I suspect it is the Amp. I got our local accessory store to try with a different amp. The sound did not appear. Though I must mention here that the sound sometimes is absent for half an hour or more. I did not get to use the other amp for more than 10 minutes, and so, can not be sure its the amp.

The accessory store has suggested sending the amp for repairs, and I am almost in agreement with them, though I wonder if some settings on the amp may be the cause of this problem.

So, I wanted to run this past all the gurus on team bhp so I have some technical background supporting these decisions. In case you have not already figured out, I am technically challenged as far as audio set ups go.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 16th October 2007, 14:43   #32
BHPian

Try interchanging the 2 rear speakers, then the speaker cables & finally the RCA cables for more info.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Try interchanging the 2 rear speakers, then the speaker cables & finally the RCA cables for more info.
I have tried with a different speaker, and the problem remains. So, its the speaker that is eliminated. I shall ask the accessory store people to change the cables and see.
Old 16th October 2007, 17:06   #34
BHPian

As you have already mentioned re amp, it is difficult to test with shop provided alternative equipment for prolonged durations. Why don't you reverse the amp ends of the RCA cable & then the amp ends of the speaker cables & test them yourself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks