Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 14:28   #1
BHPian

Alpine CDA-9883 or Clarion DXZ575USB

Given an option to get this from the US, which one is a better buy? Both cost $199.00 on Crutchfield.

Alpine CDA 9883

Alpine CDA-9883 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Clarion DXZ575USB

Clarion DXZ575USB CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com
Old 12th September 2007, 14:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Clarion but Alpine has better A.S.S in India.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

no need to buy from crutchfield, expensive and no warranty outside the US. try ebay or etronics.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Guys, my friend tried to purchase this one online (in the US), but it was declined because he has an Indian credit card, so shipping address and billing address are different.

Can anyone suggest workarounds? The seller does not accept cash or pick up.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:56   #5
BHPian

hi gopz keep one thing in mind you if you get the H.U from U.S,FM will not work over here i had mailed Crutchfield regarding this and the reply was only JVC,BLAUPUNKT and ECLIPSE will work in India as only these models have European tuning
Old 19th September 2007, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Guys, my friend tried to purchase this one online (in the US), but it was declined because he has an Indian credit card, so shipping address and billing address are different.

pretty right, same thing happened with me while i was trying to buy some stuff for speedofreak while in US from crutchfield.

what you can do is a desi jugaad....walk upto some store and swipe the card against some earlier transaction and take the cash. may be this involves a $ 10 tip for the help to cashier. try doing this in a not-so-well-off restaurant in university area and it would work out (all students working part time). Atleast it worked out for me at toronto airport, when i was trying to buy a pint to pass huge transit time.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:41   #7
BHPian

panky I did not understand dude...you want me to swipe the card and take cash for some other transaction...but the online store accepts only credit cards and no cash...
Old 19th September 2007, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:

am watching this thread for a reply!!!
am in a very similar situation (with regards to eBay purchases). it used to work as i had bought a few things before. but not lately. ebay customer support s**ks big time too when I approached them for a guidance.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

nahin gopz bhai.... its as simple as this:

Store made some transactions (with people other than you) and took cash. He just needs to bunch a couple of transactions aggregating to the cash you want and swipe your card to that amount, and show in the records that all these transcations were done through card and not cash. End of the day, the cashier needs to tell to the owner the total receipts for the day (cash+check+card+vouchers) and not individual transaction wise. This is a pretty common practice in Retail. For doing this, the cashier might expect a $ 10 tip or just a thank you with a smile (happened with me)!

Take the cash, approach to a friend/USPS, pay online store through a check/money order....SIMPLE!

Nothing illegal; just support. Americans are good people in general and will do it for ya!

Last edited by panky12345 : 19th September 2007 at 12:55.
Old 19th September 2007, 16:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:

This is what I did when I tried to purchase from crutchfield using my Indian credit card.

I ordered my stuff online using my credit card (indian ofcourse). Later when i checked my order status, I found they have declined my order.
I called up their toll free number and they said its due to Indian credit card blah blah blah...
So I asked what option I have. They said, either give them an american credit card number or furnish certain details regarding my card.
few details that I remember are
1. My billing address in India
2. Credit card help line no.
3. Other Info like date of birth etc..
NOTE: nowhere did I give them my CCV no. or exp date on the card. It took them 2 days to put my order in place... (Basically I guess they wanted to check with my credit card provider here in India whether I have sufficient credit balance or they can charge me sufficiently etc.. )

It worked fine for me...

EDIT* this may not work with other sellers coz, crutchfield sent me a email saying that they can process orders only if I furnish them with certain details. Thats when I called them on toll free.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 19th September 2007 at 16:04.
Old 19th September 2007, 16:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post

EDIT* this may not work with other sellers coz, crutchfield sent me a email saying that they can process orders only if I furnish them with certain details. Thats when I called them on toll free.
when was it? i mean which year if you remember.
Old 19th September 2007, 16:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
when was it? i mean which year if you remember.
This was in Mar of this year! march 5th to be precise!.
Old 19th September 2007, 18:23   #13
BHPian

hey gopz!!

I was undergoin the same thoughts as you are with exactly the same options:

Have finally decided on the Alpine CDA 9883..after reading pretty good reviews abt its high speed connectivity...and also that crutchfield was giving the ~$25 ipod connector bundled with the HU..

abt payment...i jus asked a friend from US to pay fr it..see if u can do that!
Old 25th September 2007, 18:27   #14
BHPian

Blueraven316 (Satya) PMed me & volunteered & helped me order the Clarion HU, with his contacts in the US. I am eagerly waiting for it to arrive this sunday...

Thanks Satya!! You've been of great help!
Old 25th September 2007, 20:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Blueraven316 (Satya) PMed me & volunteered & helped me order the Clarion HU, with his contacts in the US. I am eagerly waiting for it to arrive this sunday...

Thanks Satya!! You've been of great help!
Satya - I am also looking for a Clarion Head Unit - DX776USB. I had posted the same on a seperate ICE thread but haven't received any help. If you can help me in sourcing the unit, it would be great. Please PM me if you would like to help me.

Thanks.

Most Viewed