Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 22:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need info on reparing these speakers.

Hello audio people,its been a while since i last posted in or visited your section so forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place.

Coming to the point,these need to be repaired:
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz

As you can see,the rubber surrounding around the speakers has been ripped out (by some drunk kids btw).

There also a jamo center speaker which has stuff flying around inside it when shaken.My noob insticnts tell me that its the drivers which have come loose/broken.

There is also another jbl active sub which makes a sqweaking sound everytime it fires.

These belong to a friend and i need to get them fixed.I would appreciate any info on where i could get someone to diagnose the problem and fix it accordingly.

Thank you!

Last edited by binz : 13th September 2007 at 22:14.
Old 14th September 2007, 10:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
As you can see,the rubber surrounding around the speakers has been ripped out (by some drunk kids btw).
There is also another jbl active sub which makes a sqweaking sound everytime it fires.
these speakers are JBL Control 1. The Control 1 were based on the JBL Pro III. The surrounds were trated foam but in India they still dont last too long.

The speakers incorporate a 4" woofer with a F3 of about 80Hz crossover over to a Ti dome at about 4kHz. If I remember right the LPF was at 12db and the HPF was 18db.

For the cost of orignal replacement surrounds you can buy a new pair of speakers (not JBL). However for about Rs. 500 you can get local surrounds but that will change the existing response of the speakers. I assume the Jamo (Yamo) speaker is also suffering fromt eh same malady.

THe JBL sub is squeaking? what type of squeaking? Like a mouse? or is it a scratchy type of noise. see if the cone is free to move (push it in at the dust cap and see if the coe feels free).
Old 14th September 2007, 10:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I know you PMed me, but I'm sorry I was a little busy.
Navin is spot on, those are the Control One speakers. Replacement parts/repair parts are not sold for thaat product. You can buy a woofer driver. My guess is that it should cost about Rs.1800 each.

Or like navin says, you can get a new surround fixed in blr itself. It should cost you less than 500. Go for it.
Old 14th September 2007, 10:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
these speakers are JBL Control 1. The Control 1 were based on the JBL Pro III. The surrounds were trated foam but in India they still dont last too long.

The speakers incorporate a 4" woofer with a F3 of about 80Hz crossover over to a Ti dome at about 4kHz. If I remember right the LPF was at 12db and the HPF was 18db.

For the cost of orignal replacement surrounds you can buy a new pair of speakers (not JBL). However for about Rs. 500 you can get local surrounds but that will change the existing response of the speakers.
Thank you.Would it be possible to replace the entire woofer or only the surrounds?
Sam could you give me an approximate on how much new woofers would cost for the same.

Quote:
I assume the Jamo (Yamo) speaker is also suffering fromt eh same malady.
Well,the front of the speaker has a fabric covering so no damage on the outside.However,when the speaker is turned upside down,I can hear these lod sounds of something heavy halling inside.
The jamo guys have agreed to take a look at the speaker and fix it so i don't need to bother about that now .. thanks!

Quote:
THe JBL sub is squeaking? what type of squeaking? Like a mouse? or is it a scratchy type of noise. see if the cone is free to move (push it in at the dust cap and see if the coe feels free).
I cant really describe the sound,its sort of like 'qrr qrr' evertime the sub fires.The sub sounds perfectly alright otherwise.Can't really touch the cone because of the fabric covering.

Last edited by binz : 14th September 2007 at 10:23.
Old 14th September 2007, 10:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Or like navin says, you can get a new surround fixed in blr itself. It should cost you less than 500. Go for it.
No problemo,i expected you to be busy.And leads on where i could get this done?Im not exactly the audio person you know..

Last edited by binz : 14th September 2007 at 10:26.
Old 14th September 2007, 11:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You can buy a woofer driver. My guess is that it should cost about Rs.1800 each.
Can I get a pair of woofers? Got an idea for a PC system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
I cant really describe the sound,its sort of like 'qrr qrr' evertime the sub fires.The sub sounds perfectly alright otherwise.Can't really touch the cone because of the fabric covering.
it sounds like the voice coil is scraping against the magnet or pole piece. this would involve opening the woofer and re aligning the voice coil. you will also need a new surround and if your repair manis not careful a new spider and dust cap. if the repair man is very very careful just the surround will need to be replaced.
Old 17th November 2007, 12:58   #7
BHPian

It would be of great help if anyone can guide to people here, where exactly speakers (Remove Jarring, replace surrounds..Etc) are repaired in BLR.
Old 18th November 2007, 11:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
It would be of great help if anyone can guide to people here, where exactly speakers (Remove Jarring, replace surrounds..Etc) are repaired in BLR.
What kind of a speaker do you want to get repaired ? Car ? Home ?
Old 18th November 2007, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think km120 is talking about these speakers:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...thi-800-a.html
Old 18th November 2007, 22:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
there was a tie that due to un-availabiltiy drivers used to be repaird but today i would suggest that unless the driver is a rare one just replace it. it will cost more but you get assurance.
Old 19th November 2007, 13:42   #11
BHPian

Good find rockstarraghu in fact i meant what u pointed at. I am not sure but is a there difference between home spk and car spk repair ? Anyway i dropped the idea of repairing my spk. Thanks for the info Navin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks