Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2007, 18:58   #1
BHPian

ICE for the Mitsubishi Pajero

Hi,

I would be picking up a Pajero 2.8 (not the Montero) and plan to upgrade the sound system. I went to Sound Factor in Bangalore and was recommended the following:

Infiinity ref5022i for rear,
INfinity ref5020cs for front,
jbl cs60.4 amp
jbl cs 1204b sub woofer

i was also recommended a pioneer HU 79xx (dont remember the number)

Suggestions/comments?

I dont want to spend loads to upgrade the system but i do enjoy my music which is everything except for the new generation sound which goes under the name of hip hop, trance, club music and the like.

Thanks in advance
Old 14th September 2007, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

welcome to ICE....as you've been reading all over, we need one very very important input from you in quantitative and NOT subjective terms..BUDGET.
Old 14th September 2007, 19:16   #3
BHPian

~ 35 - 40k. The upper limit is not flexible!! :-)
Old 14th September 2007, 20:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer 6950 is a good HU for its price (9,000/-)
The components seem to be fine for your taste of music.

However, I would recommend the JBL 75.4 (About 12,000/-) instead of the CS60.4.

You could add a monoblock (CS300.1 for 10,000/- or GTO301.1 for xx,000/-) since a SUV would need the best juice extracted out of the sub IMO.

You may consider the GT4-12 in a custom enclosure (6,000/-), but I have the CS1204B in my setup and it is a very good subwoofer. Your call here.

Wiring+installation would take another 4-5k, but discounts should help. If you are buying all these JBL/Infinity products, a three letter magical word would most definitely help.

All said and done, please remember not to choose the components of your setup based on recommendations, but to audition and decide. Your experience would be the best judge.
Old 15th September 2007, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

How do you want your equipment to sound? I mean are you SQ kinds or SPL kinds or SQL kinds? This would rather help in suggesting something.
Old 15th September 2007, 13:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
~ 35 - 40k. The upper limit is not flexible!! :-)
If you are looking at Infinty for teh front and rear you will need to up the budget.

a HU (8K), Sub (6K) and amps (20K) will consume 34K. Lets assume with a lot of bargaining you can get that down to 30K. I doubt you can get a pair of infinity comps and a pair of coax for 10K. You need about 3K for wires as well.

assumed you are using the following:
HU: 6950
Sub: JBL GT4-12
Amps: JBL CS 60.4 and 300.1
Old 17th September 2007, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Thanks Navin, Panky12345, rocksterraghu for your inputs. Much appreciated.

@Panky12345 - SQ would mean Sound Quality and that would be important for me.

A couple of points that I would appreciate additional clarity:
- Amps JBL CS 60.4 and 300.1 -> would i need 2 amps or would 1 be enough?
- You mention that i need to try out the components etc before deciding. Does that mean that i take my pajero to the shop and ask them to demo them in the vehicle? Would they do this? times have certainly changed!!

Warm regards
Old 17th September 2007, 16:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
- You mention that i need to try out the components etc before deciding. Does that mean that i take my pajero to the shop and ask them to demo them in the vehicle? Would they do this? times have certainly changed!!
Yes, times definitely have changed.
But I'm not certain in the way you've explained earlier. They may show you the speakers in their showrooms and demo stands. If you have some good installers around your area who can actually do as you want it, then that would be the best way to experience the speakers.

It is always better to go for a 2 amp setup. As it gives more flexibility, power and quality to your setup. It would be better to go for JBL 75.4 + JBL 300.1 if your budget permits. If not, then you can settle for a JBL CS60.4 + 300.1 setup. You can even go for Pioneer monoblock+4channel amps which may work out even cheaper for you.

But remember, cheaper doesn't always have to be a better buy! Use your eyes, ears and the matter in between them to decide the final equipment.

Happy purchase and do keep us updated.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think zak answered most of the things.

I'll just add this:
You can also have a demo of the components (by components, I mean components of the setup) if they're already installed in one of the installer's friends/clients car already. You can decide with the dealer and have a look at things first hand.

Also remember to carry your CDs to audition, the ones that you've liked/heard the most.

In a SUV like Pajero, the sub needs to perform at its best, hence suggested the monoblock. The 2 amp setup would better.
Old 17th September 2007, 20:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the 60.4 wont drive a sub you you'd need a 300.1 to drive the sub. if you have the budget for only one amp the JBL 75.4 can be used (you'd have to use the HU to drive the rear speakers).
Old 17th September 2007, 20:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
It is always better to go for a 2 amp setup. As it gives more flexibility, power and quality to your setup. It would be better to go for JBL 75.4 + JBL 300.1 if your budget permits..
JBL 75.4+300.1 = 22K
JBL 60.4+301.1 = 22K

see even within the JBL stable you have 2 options!
Old 21st September 2007, 17:12   #12
BHPian

ok guys.. i finally picked up the Pajero and parked it as i am busy :-(. fixed my system keeping into account the budget/ advice as above and that of Preetham. So i have now: Alpine 560F double DIN HU, Inifinity 5020cs in front, and 963 (I think) in the rear (the speaker size is diff then previously thought), JBL 120dB sub, 60.2 amp.

Will listen to this when i have time and let you guys know how it feels.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:02   #13
BHPian

ICE for Pajero

Hi all,

Since the day - I picked up my Pajero in Feb '12, I have been contemplating to upgrade the ICE. However - unable to do how and I am a complete noob. In all my previous cars - I never felt to upgrade. However - after owning a Laura the benchmark is different and Pajero ICE is comparatively pathetic.

Currently Pajero has a Kenwood HU (Tuner, MP3, CD Player with USB/ Aux in capabality) and I think the model number is DPX-MP5110U and have 4 speakers (2 in the front and 2 in rear (third row) and there are no speakers in the 2nd row. Obviously - I have no clue on what kind of speakers they have - but the output is lousy.

While my benchmark is Laura (2011 model) like ICE - need advice from ICE Guru's on following;

1) Is is advisable to change the speakers first to better ones and see the output and replace the HU?
2) When I visited a place (guess - it's called DRIFT) on the 80 feet road in Koramangala (near Maharaja restaurant) - they suggested me to replace it with following;

HU: 2-Din system: Pioneer. AVH-1490DVD. They will integrate the reverse parking camera (already existing) to this display.

Speakers: Cerwin Vega Component Speakers (i think 4 inches). On all 4 doors and leaving the 3rd row speakers as is.

He quoted Rs. 28k all inclusive (including labour, wiring, spacers, etc.,). If you ask me about budget - would say in the range of INR 25 to 30K.

I have attached the pictures of the products he showed.

Let me know your thoughts on this setup suggested and if you have a better setup suggestion - pls. do share.

BTW, would it be wise/ cheaper to pick these up from US (since I am in US next month)?
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for the Mitsubishi Pajero-img00540201210251920.jpg  

ICE for the Mitsubishi Pajero-img00541201210251920.jpg  

Old 26th October 2012, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for Pajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
... 1) Is is advisable to change the speakers first to better ones and see the output and replace the HU? ...
Definitely. Better speakers will bring out what the stock HU is capable of (or conversely, not capable of). Even an OE Kenwood HU does not sound that bad, though it may lack a few features that after-market HUs might have.

Quote:
... Let me know your thoughts on this setup suggested and if you have a better setup suggestion - pls. do share. ...
Did you audition what they had to offer? *Never* buy without your ears trusting what you are buying - "buyer's remorse" is a really bad feeling. There are other brands such as JBL, Infinity, Auditor, Morel, Bull, Polk, Boston, and many more.

Quote:
... BTW, would it be wise/ cheaper to pick these up from US (since I am in US next month)?
Yes and no. It is the 'cheaper' that is misleading, since you will have no A.S.S. option when something goes wrong in India, unless it is a brand that has local service facilities in India. It is more prudent to buy in India.

Anyhow, first find out the size of speakers that will fit in the OE locations. 4" speakers are notorious for lacking bass. It is always better to try and use 6.5" speakers preferably, IF one is able to mount them in the car. Please visit Thouqeer, Anwar or Sachin (all of them are in Koramangala; search the ICE threads and you will find their exact locations) and they will be able to tell you what options you have.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:13   #15
BHPian

Re: ICE for Pajero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Definitely. Better speakers will bring out what the stock HU is capable of (or conversely, not capable of). Even an OE Kenwood HU does not sound that bad, though it may lack a few features that after-market HUs might have.
Thanks! Thought so.

Quote:
Did you audition what they had to offer? *Never* buy without your ears trusting what you are buying - "buyer's remorse" is a really bad feeling. There are other brands such as JBL, Infinity, Auditor, Morel, Bull, Polk, Boston, and many more.
I asked for it and they did not have audition facility (though their facility is large) or they did not want to show to me. Not sure.

Quote:
Yes and no. It is the 'cheaper' that is misleading, since you will have no A.S.S. option when something goes wrong in India, unless it is a brand that has local service facilities in India. It is more prudent to buy in India.
I was thinking of the products which are currently sold in India and if the same is bought in US - will it be cheaper?

Quote:
Anyhow, first find out the size of speakers that will fit in the OE locations. 4" speakers are notorious for lacking bass. It is always better to try and use 6.5" speakers preferably, IF one is able to mount them in the car. Please visit Thouqeer, Anwar or Sachin (all of them are in Koramangala; search the ICE threads and you will find their exact locations) and they will be able to tell you what options you have.
Sure. Let me search and see. Thanks for the leads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks