Old 21st September 2007, 07:23   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
where you do indeed get appropriate responses from very knowledgeable people

What you DON'T get is attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
if SK is happy with the sound, why should I have any problem.
I can only comment after listing to his setup that this new way of placement sound good.
Like Sam said. Glad that its all sorted out now.
Cheers!

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 21st September 2007 at 07:26.
Old 21st September 2007, 09:54   #92
BHPian

So much hoo-bala over a set of speakers . o my gawd .Guys they are only a pair of speakers...
Old 21st September 2007, 10:06   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
So much hoo-bala over a set of speakers . o my gawd .Guys they are only a pair of speakers...
On ICE saying "ONLY a pair of SPEAKERS" can get you shot! :-) just kidding.
Old 21st September 2007, 10:39   #94
BHPian

Mr. LBM, you have a lot of energy to argue with people.

Here is the person writing who has put the tweeters in kick panel.

A little background :

SK is one of the most music literate individuals on this forum. The kind of music he listens to is not listened by majority of TBHPians. He and his music demands a lot out of the audio gear which is beyond the capabilities of run of the mill brands. He listens to the likes of Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Eric Clapton, Harry Connick Jr, BB King, Ray Charles, Tori Amos, etc. etc.

SK used to have Hertz Energy ESK163 in his car prior to rainbows. Initially tweeters were installed on the dashboard. But for his music which is more midrange eccentric, he found tweeters to be little upfront. So we shifted the tweeters down on kick panel which he liked very much. We used angle mounts on energy's because it is a small tweeter (18mm) and small tweeters don't have good / wide off axis response as compared to large tweeters.

In case of Rainbows the tweeter is CAL26 (1.02") metal dome which has good off axis response. We listened to the tweeter in different locations and found it to be very shiny on dashboard and the doorpanels because of secondary reflections. There is no attenuation option provided on the crossovers. It sounded the best, smooth and mellow where it is now because of the absorption offered by floorcarpets and off axis location.

Rainbow passive crossovers allows to fine tune the system on the basis of location of the driver location, on/off axis. So the problem of integration of an on-axis midrange and off axis tweeter was taken care of.

Rainbow network is third order in which case its not necessary to have the the drivers closer to each other and also because of odd phase angle they are not much affected by locations.

For example in case of Dynaudio System 342 it would have been completely different situation as the crossover is shallow slope design. And the drivers are required to be close to each other for seamless blend of frequency bands reproduced by the bass-mid-tweeter array.

LBM if you google for high end installs you will see a vast number of people using kick panels as their first choice as that is the only place in car which has minimal reflections, offers good absorption for stray reflections and very less variation in distance between left and right channel from the listening position which automatically align them. Moreover when time aligning the system tweeters are never delayed as they are always the reference according to which the rest of the system is aligned. Thats why lot of people use midrange and tweeters in kickpanel. Unfortunately its difficult in some RHD cars because of accelerator pedal.

I hope this answers your curiosity about driver placement and you learn something out of this long post.
Old 21st September 2007, 11:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
But for his music which is more midrange eccentric
Now that's what I'm talking about baby...eccentric music!!!

Quote:
you will see a vast number of people using kick panels as their first choice as that is the only place in car which has minimal reflections, offers good absorption for stray reflections and very less variation in distance between left and right channel from the listening position which automatically align them. Moreover when time aligning the system tweeters are never delayed as they are always the reference according to which the rest of the system is aligned. Thats why lot of people use midrange and tweeters in kickpanel. Unfortunately its difficult in some RHD cars because of accelerator pedal.

I hope this answers your curiosity about driver placement

AAAHHH...Finally at the end of the Rainbow comes the pot of gold
Old 21st September 2007, 11:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SK is one of the most music literate individuals on this forum. The kind of music he listens to is not listened by majority of TBHPians. He and his music demands a lot out of the audio gear which is beyond the capabilities of run of the mill brands. He listens to the likes of Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Eric Clapton, Harry Connick Jr, BB King, Ray Charles, Tori Amos, etc. etc.
OT : kya yaar JB, I AM SURE that the kinda music I listen to, is NOT listened by majority here...."chamkila" & "yamla jatt"
That doesnt makes me music literate. Its altogether my choice, someone has in english and someone in punjabi. haan, based upon my requirements, I can choose the music gear and its placements...pretty right! :-)

Last edited by panky12345 : 21st September 2007 at 11:51.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:03   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
OT : kya yaar JB, I AM SURE that the kinda music I listen to, is NOT listened by majority here...."chamkila" & "yamla jatt"
That doesnt makes me music literate. Its altogether my choice, someone has in english and someone in punjabi.
You don't need 200K system to enjoy "Lal Chand Yamla Jatt" and "Amar Singh Chamkila". As the recordings are very old and they did not have good recording studios, engineer, gear and mastering technologies at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
haan, based upon my requirements, I can choose the music gear and its placements...pretty right! :-)
Exactly !! like SK's system is not meant for people who like to listen a 128kbps rip of 50 cent.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't need 200K system to enjoy "Lal Chand Yamla Jatt" and "Amar Singh Chamkila". As the recordings are very old and they did not have good recording studios, engineer, gear and mastering technologies at that time.
Amarjeet Singh Chamkila Sir!
Old 21st September 2007, 13:44   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Exactly !! like SK's system is not meant for people who like to listen a 128kbps rip of 50 cent.
I dont think his HU is MP3 compatible.
Old 21st September 2007, 13:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
probably he referred to the quality in absolute terms!
Old 21st September 2007, 16:22   #101
BHPian

Got a confusion here:-
The sub is following in the setup

Subwoofer : Image Dynamics IDQ10v2D2
Amp power:-

The 2 ch TRU Billet 2.110 is bridged giving 400W to IDQ10D2 in 0.6 cuft sealed enclosure
Power ratings are 300W max as quoted by this site:-
Image Dynamics

Plz clarify this
Old 21st September 2007, 17:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
People burn CD's from downloaded music which is not more than a 128 kbps rip. I just gave an example.
Old 21st September 2007, 18:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Got a confusion here:-
The sub is following in the setup

The 2 ch TRU Billet 2.110 is bridged giving 400W to IDQ10D2 in 0.6 cuft sealed enclosure
Power ratings are 300W max as quoted by this site:-
Image Dynamics

Plz clarify this
maybe 2 x 200 and hence safe
Old 21st September 2007, 18:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I think this is about perfect. From what I've heard, the IDQs take (quite) a bit more power than they are rated at. And with well-set gains, the extra power will definitely be rocking the IDQ's output (No wonder why SK mentioned before that the IDQ sounds like a whole new beast now -- not his exact words, but the spirit of what he said).
Old 21st September 2007, 22:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
maybe 2 x 200 and hence safe
I didn't got it JK!,did u meant 200w for each voice coil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I think this is about perfect. From what I've heard, the IDQs take (quite) a bit more power than they are rated at. And with well-set gains, the extra power will definitely be rocking the IDQ's output (No wonder why SK mentioned before that the IDQ sounds like a whole new beast now -- not his exact words, but the spirit of what he said).
Hydra upto what extent a sub can be driven by overpowered amp.In this case it's 100w.Somebody did told me that, driving the sub at max power might damage it!!
I am asking it cause i am looking for an amp for my id10" 2ohms dvc 400w max and nominal 250w.

Most Viewed