Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Car PC in Ford Ikon 1.3

Hi All

Does anybody has experience in installing car pc in Ford Ikon ? , I am getting my Ikon this month and I wanted to have a carpc setup in my car asap

I am planning to use a laptop instead of mini atx setup , any suggestion is highly appreciated , Thanks
Old 19th September 2007, 10:24   #2
BHPian

You can follow sys_whiz's setup using a laptop: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ing-stage.html
Old 19th September 2007, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Hi Kousik Thanks for the reply , I also follow ur thread howz ur project comming ?. I remember you planning to use linux ,yesterday i came across this link https://www.timekiller.org/carpc/index.php check if this helps
Old 19th September 2007, 17:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isacM View Post
Hi Kousik Thanks for the reply , I also follow ur thread howz ur project comming ?
I have done some progress on software part. The front end for music, and OBD are successfully running on my laptop. Yet to test the kernel. GPS navigation software I could compile and run, but not getting compatible maps of Bangalore/KA/India. Also trying out pycar, which looks pretty matured but I don't know enough python to contribute in that project! On HW side, waiting for the bonus to order the hardware. And worrying about custom bezel in my spare time.
Quote:
I remember you planning to use linux ,yesterday i came across this link https://www.timekiller.org/carpc/index.php
Yeah I have followed his stuffs quite long ago. Inspiring, but as every engineer thinks, "I can do it better" I too do

Kousik
Old 19th September 2007, 17:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, you guys plan to drive the car or work on the laptop and leave the steering to almighty O' Lord
Old 19th September 2007, 20:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
On HW side, waiting for the bonus to order the hardware.
Kousik
OT: Don't we all .. I am planning to get this project part-financed by selling an old laptop thats lying around unused. If anyone in Chennai, is interested in a Dell D600, please feel free to contact Gautam .. You'll be contributing to a great cause
Old 24th September 2007, 11:24   #7

laptop as a car PC

Using a laptop for a CarPC is not such a bad idea. I am actually thinking on those lines. I have a Acer Ferrari 3200 which is pretty powerful for a CarPC. I even am thinking of whether to mount the laptop to the roof so that I can use the 15" LCD screen as a pull down LCD monitor.
But that'll need some case modding otherwise it'll look too geeky and funny .
Old 27th September 2007, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayind View Post
Using a laptop for a CarPC is not such a bad idea. I am actually thinking on those lines. I have a Acer Ferrari 3200 which is pretty powerful for a CarPC. I even am thinking of whether to mount the laptop to the roof so that I can use the 15" LCD screen as a pull down LCD monitor.
But that'll need some case modding otherwise it'll look too geeky and funny .
Dont wanna discourage you.. but there are plenty of problems with that solution
1. Input device - No touch screen for input.. I dont think u wanna use the keyboard/touchpad which is upside down
2. 15" LCD is gonna block half the view. Not a good idea if you wanna drive when the screen is down.
3. Sourcing stable power -You will have wires going all over the place. Plus Unless you can fiddle around with ur laptop power cord, you'll have to first convert 12V DC to 240 V AC. The box on the laptop cord will promptly convert it right back to 19V DC.
4. Last but not the least, somebody is gonna steal the laptop if you leave it hanging on the ceiling!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks