Team-BHP - Need Advice for new sub
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Need Advice for new sub (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/29245-need-advice-new-sub.html)

My trusty old pio dvc died on me today, hence I need a new sub
Can you guys give me your suggestions ?
I have a blau amplifier capable of 650@2 and 400@4 rms

Thanks

If that amp is actually 650 RMS @ 2 Ohms, then the Pio sub was bound to blow (assuming it was a 306DVC sub)
You need one powerful single 4 Ohms woofer (450 to 500 RMS) or
pair of reasonable powerful SVC woofers (300 + 300 RMS) or
a very powerful DVC 4 OHM (700 RMS wired in parallel to get 2 Ohms)

Whats the budget for upgrade ?

Hi blueraven.
That amp is rated at 650@2 rms, but I had tuned it to deliver approx 350 watts. I still don't understand how the sub died.
Budget is not much, but I guess I can go upto 10 ( maxxxxxxxxx. I already spent more than 40000 in the last month on ICE )

EDIT: I don't like "boomy" bass. I would prefer SQ to SPL. Howz the Hertz ES300D ? It's sensitivity is a mind boggling 97db/spl ! Is it true ?

The best idea would be to go for a powerful DVC subwoofer that can handle about 500-600 W rms.

Dont worry about sensitivities unless its under 86-87 dB for a 12". Everything over that should be fine if you're supplying half a kilowatt of power and you're looking for SQ, not SPL.

so you have a sealed box or a ported box?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akg7091 (Post 574070)
It's sensitivity is a mind boggling 97db/spl ! Is it true ?

It is not 1 watt / 1 meter.

Bought a Hertz ES300D.
Thanks for the reply guys

Quote:

Bought a Hertz ES300D.
Thanks for the reply guys
Nice choice akg.....post a review after you install it. :)

Well, all I can say is I like it but somehow I don't understand what the hype is all about these hertz woofers ?

It is a nice sub no doubt, and slightly better than my older pio, but not 6000 rupees better. I have tuned my amp to produce about 300 watt rms using a 50 hz sine wav ( 0 db ) using a dmm.
Gonna play with the eq a little bit and see if I can tune it to my taste.
Next upgrade is going to be a IDMAX somewhere around march. Till then this sub will do fine.

PS: whats the recommended enclosure volume for a sealed box for this sub ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akg7091 (Post 575482)
Well, all I can say is I like it but somehow I don't understand what the hype is all about these hertz woofers ?

It is a nice sub no doubt, and slightly better than my older pio, but not 6000 rupees better. I have tuned my amp to produce about 300 watt rms using a 50 hz sine wav ( 0 db ) using a dmm.
Gonna play with the eq a little bit and see if I can tune it to my taste.
Next upgrade is going to be a IDMAX somewhere around march. Till then this sub will do fine.

PS: whats the recommended enclosure volume for a sealed box for this sub ?

Hmm...what is the problem you are facing ?

Why did you not like it ?

And did you found it even twice louder than the pioneer sub which is having sensitivity less than 90 db/spl ?

Quote:

It is a nice sub no doubt, and slightly better than my older pio, but not 6000 rupees better.

AKG

In all probability you have the sub in the wrong box. No sub will perform in a leaky sealed box of the wrong volume. I suggest you read the subs manual and build a good box to the specs provided. Or, just get a good installer to build the box for you. In case you need any help, PM me and I can provide you with box specs, design and if required help you get the box itself.

Cheers!

akg....

1. did you audition them before buying?

2. in case you did, may be you went there carrying perceptions about the brand, SQ, SQL, SPL, sensitivity, 1w/1m, 87/97, blah blah and then in quest to satisfy your thirst for SQ SQ SQ....you made the choice, and later regretting.

SQ is subjective and it might happen what SQ is for you, its a crap for me. This forum serves at a platform for people to discuss their experiences and not to sell SQ. So "suno sabki karo apne man ki". After all, its your own/dad's money.

See, as gunman said this would be perform best with the suitable enclosure.... and further you are comparing Pio (one note bass) with Hertz. Both are different in terms of price, quality and output.

Quote:

I have tuned my amp to produce about 300 watt rms using a 50 hz sine wav ( 0 db ) using a dmm.

How exactly did you do that?

@ Gunbir : The box I am using is a bassworx sw12b ( sealed ) which has a volume of 1 cuft. This is the volume recommended on the Hertz site for the ES300D ( 28 l)

The sub is very nice, and is definitely better than the pio ( NO DOUBTS ! ) but I feel it was not worth thrice the price ( maybe I am wrong, but audio is subjective )
Also, again I may be wrong, but the sub does not seem to have a sensitivity of 97db/spl as claimed because the pio is 89 db/spl and and so this sub should have been 4 times louder atleast but it is almost the same. Maybe hertz measures it in a different way, but there is no way this sub is 4 times louder ( not even twice )

However, I have noticed that this sub is better than the pio, in the sense that I can feel the bass but it is not obtrusive ( hard to explain in words )

Finally, let me sum it all up

Reasons I didn't like the sub :

No way is it louder than the pio even though the difference in sensitivity is HUGE
Considering the fact that the pio costs 3000 and this 9000, I felt it was overpriced for it's performance ( again, just my opinion )

I am in no way dissatisfied as I don't like boomy, too much bass and this sub will do just fine. I only felt I spent more money than required.
This sub is definitely not bad, and as Gunbir said, maybe it's just the box. I will get the box changed when I get the time. Till then this is going to be just fine.

@ deralte : I played a test tone of 50 hz on the HU. Turned off all the eq settings etc. Turned up the volume to 75% on the HU and then increased the gain on the amplifier till the voltage across the output was 25 volts

akg....we respect your opinions! :)

thats exactly why it is recommended to have an UNBIASED audition before you buy, no matter how many technical jargons you use to describe a product as regards SQ/SPL/blah blah, remember they are all opinions.... end result is the worth that YOU percieve.