Team-BHP - JL Audio Amps
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   JL Audio Amps (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/29255-jl-audio-amps.html)

Hi, Has anyone used JL audio amps? Especially amps from their slash series? The 500/1 or 1000/1? The specs are impressive 500WRMS (for the 500/1) constant output from 11.4 to 14.4V and across any load in the range 1.3ohms to 4ohms.

JL Audio: Products

Reviews in onlinecarstereo suggest its a good one... But I'd like to hear it from team-bhp members too..

JL Audio 500-1 Amp: Mono

While I have heard these amps, I've had no chance to do any extended listening. It is my suspicion that JL audio amplifiers will be of high quality, but expensive.

I haven't listened to these amps, but I've heard very good reviews about them.

I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg. Probably not really worth the money you'll have to spend, considering the availably of amps that can sound as good for less.

And you'll need a serious (= expensive) sub to make good use of those amps.

Did you win a lottery, or did a very very rich relative die leaving everything to you? :)

JL Amps are very good, especially the Slash series is quite versatile. They push real power numbers and produce some really neat SQ. If you want to have a 500/1 Setup, I would suggest you to buy a very good sub too or else you would not have the right output, something like a pair of JL W3V2s or W3V3s would be Ideal. Even Image Dynamics make some really compettitive subs. If you buying in the USA, you will get good prices but no warranty.
Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 574206)
Did you win a lottery, or did a very very rich relative die leaving everything to you? :)

Its neither a lottery or the death of a richie rel.. :) Just ICE fever running high temperature.. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueraven316 (Post 574216)
I would suggest you to buy a very good sub too or else you would not have the right output, something like a pair of JL W3V2s or W3V3s would be Ideal.

Hi Satha, How much do these JL W3V2s cost in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jCube (Post 575488)

Hi Sathya, How much do these JL W3V2s cost in India?

They are running for Rs 13500 each with Warranty.

Since 500/1 is a constant output amplifier, ie 500wrms for voltages between 12-14V, will it be possible, for instance, to tune and limit the output to 400wrms? If so how can it be done?

I assume that for variable power amplifiers*, its possible. Is that true. Can you shed some light on it?

*And by variable power amplifiers, I mean amplifiers whose max output is at 14.4V and whose output decreases as the voltage decreases.

Thanks,
-jCube

Quote:

Originally Posted by jCube (Post 581299)
Since 500/1 is a constant output amplifier, ie 500wrms for voltages between 12-14V, will it be possible, for instance, to tune and limit the output to 400wrms? If so how can it be done?

I assume that for variable power amplifiers*, its possible. Is that true. Can you shed some light on it?

*And by variable power amplifiers, I mean amplifiers whose max output is at 14.4V and whose output decreases as the voltage decreases.

Thanks,
-jCube

In a way, you have answered your own question.

Lets not call amps variable power amplifiers since any amp with a gain control and/ or a variable level input source will be a variable power amplifier.

The amp you refer to is regulated. This means that power output remains constant irrespective of input voltage within a certain range. This does not mean that you cannot restrict its output power by other means, i.e. setting the gain lower or providing lower input signal voltage. Although I doubt you will be able to restrict it to precisely 'X' watts, what you could do is set the gain to a level lower than what would be 'normal' using the head unit's pre-out voltage as a reference.

However, I assume that you want to restrict the power to 400 so that you can safely use a sub rated at the same power. In which case, dont bother to turn down the gain. The extra power will not affect the sub unless you turn it up to nearly full volume for long periods. The only exception would be a sub falsely rated at 400 W rms.

Also, as Sam mentions, the amp provides some very expensive watts and I havent really seen JL amps as the "absolute SQ" choice so its a debatable deal vfm-wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 581568)
In a way, you have answered your own question.
...Lets not call amps variable power amplifiers since any amp with a gain control and/ or a variable level input source will be a variable power amplifier....

Also, as Sam mentions, the amp provides some very expensive watts and I havent really seen JL amps as the "absolute SQ" choice so its a debatable deal vfm-wise.

Thanks Ajay Bhai.. Your first statement cleared my doubts :) and your last statement introduced some others.. :confused:

Assuming, I dont care for warranty, what other options do I have for a regulated 500 wrms amp that is in the same SQ league as the JL Audio amp, for 18K or under. (I can get this amp for less than 18K from the States). I want to have the best bang(read SQ) for the buck. I'm open to suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by jCube (Post 581617)
same SQ league as the JL Audio amp, for 18K or under. (I can get this amp for less than 18K from the States). I want to have the best bang(read SQ) for the buck. I'm open to suggestions

What sub do you plan to use it with? Its a good buy for 18k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 582332)
What sub do you plan to use it with? Its a good buy for 18k.

For the moment a Kappa 10.1.. Later on a GZRW 12XS-AL or a GZUW 12X
:D. Or probably some others that suit the amp better? Any suggestions?
Auditioning GZ is a problem for me in TVM. How much do these cost?

Thanks,
-jCube