Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 15:15   #1
BHPian

ICE Module in under 22k

Hello friends,
A friend of mine has bought a Ford Fusion Diesel. He relying upon me to help him out with a good ICE model.
His budget is 20k with a 10% flexibility.

Speakers: In the last few days I have auditioned JBL, Polk Audio (DB series), Boston Acoustics and Nakamichi.

Out of these the Nakamichi were the best by a long shot (talking about speakers only).

Headunits tried were Pioneer 2950, 5950, 6950 and entry level Alpine.
The Alpines were clear winner here but the installer (Auto Planet, Koramangala) insists on a Pioneer 6950, as it has 7 band parametric equalizers which he says, he can use to tune up the system for a flat response.

I am yet to audition Hertz speakers.

Please give your suggestion on what could be the best combination in this budget (upgradation is not possible for a couple of years).
My friend and me, both prefer warm but punchy sound.
Till now we have shortlisted Nakamichi 6 X 9" coax for rears, Nakamichi Component for the fronts, Pioneer 6950/Alpine HU.

Also I have a query regarding the placement of rear speakers...
Should I place the 6x9 coax on a wooden plank at the rear or is it better to put them in two seperate wooden cabinets/boxes at the rear ??
Which would give me better bass (quality)??
I have auditioned some sub woofers from Soomoku and JBL, but they dont inspire me as I thought their bass is very over-powering, undefined, single-tone and boomy. If there are better subs that can be installed in this budget please suggest.

Regards
Pani
Old 25th September 2007, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Where do we get Blaupunkt and Clarion in Bangalore ??
Between an Alpine and Clarion, which HU would be better (both entry level) ??
Old 25th September 2007, 16:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
I am yet to audition Hertz speakers.
Hear the Hertz Speakers first, i am sure you will find a diffrence. Gunbir Sir will help you in this. i dont think that in 22k there will be a place for sub unless you use a fake alpine amp or a entry level sony. why dont you consider components also .Rest Gurus will Help you
Old 25th September 2007, 16:42   #4
BHPian

Hi Notorious,
Problem with Hertz is:

1. They start getting good from their Energy series onwards (just a 2nd hand info). I dont know if their deici series are as good for the money or not.

2. The hertz dealer here in Bnagalore (Sprocket) is not giving any audition of the speakers...they want me to buy blind.

What do I do ??
Any idea about the price and performance of Blaupunkt Velocity speakers ??
Old 25th September 2007, 17:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get 6x9 if he wont upgrade with sub later on.
6x9 in boxes = good boom, but you lose boot space.
Old 25th September 2007, 17:22   #6
BHPian

Hi JK,
How about 6X9 on wooden plank ??
Which brand/model you would suggest in this budget ??
Have you heard the Nakamichi ?

Regards
Pani
Old 25th September 2007, 19:31   #7
BHPian

listen to kicker es693 series 6x9 u wont consider others its mindblowing vfm
clarity is amazing
good tight bass
Old 25th September 2007, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Velocity series is good, but not in the league of the hertz energy 3 way.
I have VPC 172 installed in my car. They sound way better than the previous coaxials I had
Old 25th September 2007, 22:54   #9
BHPian

I reently heard a simple Alpine HU and hertz compnent 2 way speakers in front..no amp..no sub...no rear co axials...was quite nice... If anyone is on a budget one can go for a similar set up. I feel instead of putting 6x9 in rears and co axials in front rather jsut put compos and a HU..thats it...lot more VFM.it should cost almsot the same i think.

p.s- i dont know about nakamichi speakers..but if you have teh money jsut buy there HU's they are superb.

Last edited by sk456 : 25th September 2007 at 22:55.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:59   #10
BHPian

Combos please..

Friends,
I would be thankful if you could work out the combo while suggesting a higher end speaker. My budget is 22k max. I was thinking of 14k for the 2 pair of speakers, 7k for HU and 1k for cables and accessories.

If I look at Hertz energy series, how do I get 6 X 9 coax + front components in under 14k ??
Same with Blaupunkt Velocity !!!!

Please suggest...
Old 25th September 2007, 23:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
I reently heard a simple Alpine HU and hertz compnent 2 way speakers in front..no amp..no sub...no rear co axials...was quite nice... If anyone is on a budget one can go for a similar set up. I feel instead of putting 6x9 in rears and co axials in front rather jsut put compos and a HU..thats it...lot more VFM.it should cost almsot the same i think.

p.s- i dont know about nakamichi speakers..but if you have teh money jsut buy there HU's they are superb.
Your suggestion is really good for a purist audiophile...but this friend of mine is not an audiophile...he will definitely look for some good slam-bang excitement along with refinement after spending close to 25k (which is a big amount for him to spend on car audio).

Your taste is pretty similar to mine so I guess your choice of brands/models would suit my mine...can you think of 4 speakers + HU in under 20-22k ??
Old 25th September 2007, 23:20   #12
BHPian

Well, compared to the deici series the velocity is better. Between the energy and velocity it will depend on your taste so audition them first.

The vpc172 is around 11500 with b/w
the dsk165 is around 6500 IIRC
the 2 way hertz energy are for around 9500.
pm gunbir for any ques regarding hertz.

I dont think you can fit velocity comp and coax in 14000. Maybe hertz energy and deici series are in your range
I have read a lot of rave reviews of illusion audio here. Why not try them too. Their electra series is well within your range
Old 25th September 2007, 23:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
Your suggestion is really good for a purist audiophile...but this friend of mine is not an audiophile...he will definitely look for some good slam-bang excitement along with refinement after spending close to 25k (which is a big amount for him to spend on car audio).

Your taste is pretty similar to mine so I guess your choice of brands/models would suit my mine...can you think of 4 speakers + HU in under 20-22k ??
with "slam bang" i assume you would mean bass? I think you are contemplating 6x9s to deliver teh bass? well a pair of compos will outclass any 6x9 in the bass department.( at not much extra cost )
for 25K a amp/sub solution i am not sure would be possible as it involve an amp/amp wiring kit as well.
I was initially in my pre team bhp days a infinity 6x9 and JBL 4 inch co axial owner..this i when i had never heard of a car component speaker. so IMO a 6x9 and 4 inch coaxials are a total waste of money in terms of "sound quality".Especially a 4 inch co ax is sheer waste as it is jsut screechy treble in ur ears which cant be played above a certain volume without distorting the sound.

I would suggest your friend to at least go and hear a compo in someones car before he takes the plunge.
Old 25th September 2007, 23:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

mp3 HU from JVC = 7K
Entry level 4ch amp = 4K
Components = 6K
Subwoofer = 5K

Approximately = 22K. Try for this option
Subwoofer will give you punchy sound. Unless you go for very high end 6x9 you will not get Low bass.

Do not skip on the amp and subwoofer.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:07   #15
BHPian

there.. you have the perfect solution.slam bang ..all in budget

Most Viewed