Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 22:20   #1

Multiple Car ICE, Lots of Help Needed

I really dont know how to begin this. With that said do bear with me please. I thought i knew my stuff when it comes to ICE till i pondered on this site a month ago, now i feel like a virgin. I have been reading here extensively (lots of sleepless nights), and found solutions and more problems (that being my budget). The best thing that i"ve learnt is that i can use stock locations for all my needs for a stealth/clean look and no/negligible cutting required. In the end i have chosen quite a few components and would like feedback/HELP if i'm goin on the right track. Lastly i want good cabling and clean installation in Delhi (I live in Civil Lines). Ok then now lets get to the cars. Note - all the stuff with a star i have chosen but not bought yet, so would like prices with bill and w/o, and if i should go for somthing else (budget are always tweakable ).

1. Opel Corsa 1.4 (sedan) (budget - 5k to 10k)
HU - Pioneer DEH-P4950MP 6ch RCA out (matches the dash as mush as a possible)
Front - *JBL 607c or *Infinity 6020cs (if they dont fit then there equivalent 5") in stock locations
Rear - Pioneer 6991 6x9 on new rear tray (want to get *JBL 637 to fit the stock location and use stock tray. Is this a good idea or should I just stick with the pio)
Amp - JBL DA3504 (old decade series amp)
Sub - No sub needed in this car
Sub Amp - None as no subs
Cabling - maybe *JBL original
Dampening - will leave for my next upgrade or as required later (most likely for stock tray)
Install - *stealth and clean

2. Opel Astra 1.6 (budget - 15k to 20k)
HU - Sony Mobile ES CDX-M750 6ch RCA out with Sony MX-757 10 CD/mp3 changer in trunk, also uses seperate RCA
Front - *JBL 607c in stock location
Rear - *JBL 937 6x9 on new rear tray (my dealer is exchanging my 3 month old pioneer 6992 for these at no cost)
Amp - *JBL 75.4
Sub - will buy later (DONT have money left, mujhe paisa chahiye)
Sub Amp - Rockford Fosgate Power 1100a2 (beast of an amp)
Cabling - maybe *JBL original for 75.4 and will decide later for RF1100
Dampening - will leave for when i install my sub/amp

3. Maruti Esteem 1.3 (post 1998) (budget - 0k to 1k, not a typo)
HU - Pioneer KEH-P6950 4ch RCA out (tape deck) and Pioneer CDS-P3000 (single CD) (both combined look double din and fills the dash, also have the Pioneer KEH-P4025 2ch RCA out but dosnt look as good with the pio single cd IMHO) with Pioneer 12 CD changer in trunk
Front - some Blaupunkt 4" coax in stock location (came stock with corsa)and Pioneer TS-20 on dash(dont laugh, from my old days)
Rear - Pioneer ???6976 6x9 on new rear tray (will get exact model no in a day or two)
Amp - a very small and competent sony 2ch amp (not the 222 bought way before it came out) dont know what to power with it, front or rear, or not use it at all (will get exact model no in a day or two)
Sub - Pioneer 305c, cant decide where to put it rear tray or custom box (have both trays with and without 12" cut out and also have custom box)
Sub Amp - MTX 275x
Cabling - local
Dampening - none

4. Skoda Octavia L&K 1.9 (cousins car so not ready with me) (budget - 35k to 40k)
HU - Stock symphony or something like that (dont wanna change it, as controls on steering and display in cluster)
Rear - *JBL 607c or whatever components can fit in stock location
Amp - *JBL 75.4
Sub - Have 12" JBL bass tube and 12" JBL sub in custom box, dont know which to use or even both (will get exact model no in a day or two)
Sub Amp - *JBL 301.1
Cabling - again *JBL original but really dont have a clue
Dampening - not sure what to go for
Install - want in car stealth and some LED lighting for the amps and trunk

All the equipment that i have is in some car or the other, will pull all out and make a set for each car and then get installed from scratch. I would like to buy/install cabling and dampening from the installer itself. For the rest of the components i have a dealer in kamla nagar but dont think he is that reliable/competent for equipment and installation (Hes into chichora pio stuff and tearing the car apart)

I want to thank everyone for the vast amount of knowledge gained from this site and looking forward to soak in a lot more. Please feel free to ask questions if i have left any thing or even aise hi.

Aspiring for bigger and better things
Mr Bansal
Old 27th September 2007, 12:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bansal View Post
1. Opel Corsa 1.4 (sedan) (budget - 5k to 10k)
HU - Pioneer DEH-P4950MP
Front - *JBL 607c or *Infinity 6020cs
Rear - Pioneer 6991 6x9 on new rear tray (want to get *JBL 637
Amp - JBL DA3504 (old decade series amp)

2. Opel Astra 1.6 (budget - 15k to 20k)
HU - Sony Mobile ES CDX-M750 6ch RCA
Rear - *JBL 937 6x9 on new rear tray
Amp - *JBL 75.4

3. Maruti Esteem 1.3 (post 1998) (budget - 0k to 1k, not a typo)
HU - Pioneer KEH-P6950 4ch RCA out (tape deck) and Pioneer CDS-P3000 (single CD)
Front - some Blaupunkt 4" coax in stock location and Pioneer TS-20
Rear - Pioneer ???6976 6x9 on new rear tray
Amp - a very small and competent sony 2ch amp (not the 222 bought way before it came out)
Sub - Pioneer 305c
Sub Amp - MTX 275x

4. Skoda Octavia L&K 1.9 (cousins car so not ready with me) (budget - 35k to 40k)
HU - Stock symphony
Rear - *JBL 607c or whatever components can fit in stock location
Amp - *JBL 75.4
Sub - Have 12" JBL bass tube and 12" JBL sub in custom box
Sub Amp - *JBL 301.1
1. Corsa. stick to the 6x9s is the rear since you dont have a sub. the 637 wont produce as much bass as the Pio 6x9s. If you want JBL 6x9 you should get the 937 not 637.

2. I ma not sure if the 607 will fit in the stock location as the depth available in the Astra's door is rather shallow. Maybe you should consider some less deep speakers like Illusion instead of JBL.

3. Esteem: add a 10ohm/10W resistor in series with each TS20.

4. the boxed woofer will give you tighter bass the tube will give you more boom.
Old 27th September 2007, 19:33   #3

Thank you Team-BHP for welcoming me and also Navin sir for the quick reply.

In the corsa i have decided to stick with the pio 6991 for now. I had read that you have a corsa with the infinity 6020 installed and that another member tried fitting the jbl 607 but couldnt and he opted for the 507 (I could be wrong, read so many posts, its hard to keep track). I dont think there should be a size difference between the infinity 6" and jbl 6" comps but then again i am a newbie. I really want to go for 6" comps without cutting the car, please advise.

Might be a big problem in the astra, as again i really want to go for 6". I have never heard the illusions (exotics to me) and think they might not be in my budget. Would love to hear a demo if possible. My installer is acting funny now with exchanging the pio 6992, he says it will cost 550 to 750 to get the jbl 937, is it worth it. I like to keep everything matching matching thus wanting all jbls.

The solution with the TS-20s is way beyond my understanding and have no clue how to go about it. Please help me out here.

I will post the prices i'm being qouted soon. Lastly cables/installers for my sort of setups needed.

Cheers
Mr Bansal
Old 28th September 2007, 13:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bansal View Post
In the corsa i have decided to stick with the pio 6991 for now. I had read that you have a corsa with the infinity 6020 installed and that another member tried fitting the jbl 607 but couldnt and he opted for the 507 (I could be wrong, read so many posts, its hard to keep track). I dont think there should be a size difference between the infinity 6" and jbl 6" comps but then again i am a newbie. I really want to go for 6" comps without cutting the car, please advise.

Might be a big problem in the astra, as again i really want to go for 6". I have never heard the illusions (exotics to me) and think they might not be in my budget. Would love to hear a demo if possible. My installer is acting funny now with exchanging the pio 6992, he says it will cost 550 to 750 to get the jbl 937, is it worth it. I like to keep everything matching matching thus wanting all jbls.

The solution with the TS-20s is way beyond my understanding and have no clue how to go about it. Please help me out here.

I will post the prices i'm being qouted soon. Lastly cables/installers for my sort of setups needed.

Cheers
Mr Bansal
correction my wife has 6010 in her Opel Sail. The 6020 is a later version, my mom has them in her NHC but If the 6010 can fit in the Corsa I dont think the 607 should be a problem.

Illusions have various ranges for various budgets. PM Bass & Trouble for more info on Illusions. He represents them in India. TBHP is a non-commercial website and does not allow marketing on it's public message boards.

The TS20 do more harm than good. My solution was to pad them to a point wher they wouldbe less noticeable. Any installer can do this. The resistors wont cost too much.

Many members have had trouble with BOSS cables. Audison makes a rahter nice RCA cable which retails for about 1K/pair. At that price I dont see a better option.
Old 28th September 2007, 17:37   #5

Thank you for the clarification navin sir.

The TS20 come with some sort of box/xo (what is this?) attached to the speaker wire, should i remove them and then put the resisters or with it.

This is what i finally decided on the Opel Corsa - Mom's car listens mostly to 80s english, religous bhajans and the radio.

HU - pio 4950 (same)
front - jbl 607c Rs 4200 without bill (bought it hope the price is fine)
rear - pio 6991 (same)
amp - jbl da3504 (same)
cabling - between audison and jbl (will need 2 sets of rca)
damping - none
Want this completed within the next 7 - 10 days

Now the problem - my installer says nothing more than 5" will fit in the front, am thoroughly confused and dont know what to do next. Also he has never heard of audison and is only stocking fake jbl. I'm willing to pretty much take my car anywhere in delhi (north/south) to get it installed at a decent price and preferably buy all the wiring/cabling from the installer itself. As i dont have much time to go installer hunting, taking all the recomendations here, think that DRIVEN in East of kailash is my best bet. Hope theyre open on sundays. I would request advice from all.
Would anyone want pics of the install. If yes will keep my cam ready.

After this I will move on to my astra and up my budget. Hopefully to accomodate (fairly good) illusions. Will get in touch with B&T as soon as i can set my stretched bugdet.

ICE is a never ending process!
Mr Bansal
Old 30th November 2007, 01:50   #6

Its been a while and I've had some major changes to the plan and this is how I've progressed. Firstly i want to thank Navin for replying as no one else did. I'm a trooper and hope i will STILL gain some freinds and knowledge here. After reading through the forum I singled out some place in Lajpat Nagar and Driven in East of Kailash for buying and installing.

My PERSONAL review of the place in LN - I asked him about audio equipment and he took me to 2 demo rooms(first with alpines then another with sony.) They were both crap, nothing to do with a car, more like home audio and still crap. So I tried talking to them to see what they could source. The guy in charge (some fat guy and my presumption) spoke to me like i didnt know anything (if only he knew). Just put off I left to Driven.

Now here is where everything changes. I thought they will qoute exuberant prices but to my liking i was completely wrong. They have competitive pricing including without b/w. I was very happy (so was the baniya in me). In all Mr Rana and the installer Pramod there made me feel at ease. So I recommend, but to each his own.

Now the cars - We did pretty much stage one for most

Skoda L&K

HU - Stock
Front - Space K6
Rear - stock (but not connected)
Amp - Audison LRX 4.1
Sub - IDQ 15" in box
Cabling - 1. Power - Audison FPK 600
2. HU to high level input - Audison first
3. Amp to speaker wire - Some 12 gauge wire JB got
Damping - None (JB thought it wasnt needed and after a week i think its not needed so far)
Install and Tuning - Well its funny - I met Driven through TBHP and then i met JB Gunbir through Driven. And they did my install for free and without any asking. So I guess you guys can ask them directly if any questions. Furthermore they did the install in one day and JB was hands on for over 6 hrs till he was satisfied, left at 1am. Hats off to them.

Opel Astra

HU - Pioneer 4950
Changer - 12 CD Black Pioneer
Front - 6" Blaupunkt component (stock skoda L&K, mid bass and tweeter, no crossover, i forgot to take the model no down, made in Tunisia)
Rear - Pioneer 6x9 6992
Cabling - Stock
Damping - none
Install - simple by Pramod

Opel Corsa - being done tommorow (now my car)

HU - My sony with new original harness which plugs directly to the car
Changer - Sony with MP3 capability
Front - JBL 607c
Amp - JBL 75.4 bridged 2ch
Rear - none
Sub - JBL GT4 in original box (not the tube one)
Amp - JBL 75.4 bridged 2 ch
Cabling - 1. Power - Audison FPK 600 with a distribution block (not decided on that yet)
2. RCA - 3 2ch Audison Best series (for changer, front and sub)
3. Speaker wire - Audison Best
Install - I'll tell you guys after tommorow
Damping - If needed

Maruti Esteem

HU - Same with same single cd add on
Front - 4" coax blaupunkts i pulled from the corsa (they are the blue types forgot to take the model no) + pioneer TS-20 (original)
Rear - Pioneer 6x9 ???6976
Sub - Pioneer 305c on tray (not connected)
Damping - none

Now this is where i am. Still have some gear left, gone for repairs. Feel free to PM or ask questions/advice here.

Mr. Bansal
Old 30th November 2007, 02:41   #7

Gunbir had taken a couple (3) of pics, he just sent them to me by PM. I dont know how to post them. Please advise.
Old 30th November 2007, 08:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a good thing that you decided to go for connection audison cabling. First of all there is no original JBL wiring available anymore.

Secondly, all JBL had was one wiring kit, which had 1 pair of RCA and some power cabling.

I have used Connection Audison cabling and can vouch for its quality, far far superior than all this monster-vonster that is available.
Old 1st December 2007, 03:35   #9

Update - The install on the corsa wasnt finished, due to me being late. Should be done by tommorow. Gunbir came in and made sure they install most of the wiring as proper as possible and (somehow) made me feel i'm going on the right track for future upgrades (have a couple of things planned, nothing you havnt seen/read before.)

I forgot to mention the installer Pramod - he did all the cars and first removed ALL old wiring (RCA's and cut/taped up rang biranga, red green and yellow power wiring.) His install was clean and upto par with all the installs posted on the forum. Just not as fancy, if you know what i mean. His motto all good things come to people who wait (patience) in hindi.

Secondly I had some simple questions in my first post which went unanswered. I know i'm new here but still an avid reader, dont know why i didnt get help.

Now the cars

Skoda L&k

Went for the Mille MLK 165 but didnt fit so had to go for the space K6 not the K6L (the magnet was huge on the milles.) Extremely happy with the sound but think HU change is in order, the stock HU just dosnt do justice to the gear.

Opel Astra

Went for the stock skoda component as there is no place in the doors (there were a couple of pictures of these spk on the forum comparing the size/depth with better speakers). They fit perfect and nothing else will do exept K6 or maybe the illusions as i've read (didnt want to spend, as the car will be chauffered.)

Maruti Esteem

This car got whatever gear is left so i guess this explains it all.

Opel Corsa (some help needed here)

Speaker wire is audison first and not best as stated earlier. Wanted to go for Hertz but even the 6" Deici were hitting the glass (Hi-Energy idea went out the window) the JBL 607c just barely fit and still trying to perfect it. My rear metal tray was destroyed by a previous installer and had no clue till i pulled out the MDF tray, thus no rear speakers (dont want to install 6x9s again.) So putting back stock tray as it looks nice with no spk.

Now the questions

1. Should i leave it as it is
2. Go for 6" JBL coax with dynamat on the rear tray (would approx cost extra 5k.) Another 2ch audison best RCA (approx 2k) thus dividing my 75.4 from bridged 2ch to 4ch. So overall 7k which could be used to upgrade my front compos in time, as i think i have decent amount of power from bridged 2ch 75.4 (car will be mostly driven by me with no rear passengers)
3. The gear i have left
MTX 275x 2ch with bass boost and xo
JBL DA3504 4ch with both front and rear xo (Sam please tell me how this amp fares in your professional opinion, should get it from servicing in a day or two)
Sony small 2ch amp (20x2 or 25x2) with no xo
Rockford Fosgate 1100a2 (kept by mom safely at HOME, so safely that it cant be found, so will have to wait and pray its found, total bummer)
4 sets of fake 2ch sony RCA

Any help would be appreciated
Mr Bansal
Old 16th February 2008, 01:10   #10

BUMP - Still the same questions remain

Anyway I have an update comin up for the corsa courtesy Mugen Power
Read through the forum again and again thus a little smarter. I have new questions but only after my update (max in 10 days). OT my esteem got stolen in front of my house, found it 8 days later on bricks in Khan Market with all ICE and tyres with steel rims including 5th removed. So it will get the last of my old gear.

Any help will always be appreciated
Mr Bansal

Most Viewed