Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2007, 07:51   #1

Amps, Speakers & Sub for RS

Hi,

Just got my new Skoda RS. It has an Alpine 9856 HU and 8 OEM speakers but I am not happy with the overall effect.

From these forums I have gathered that the HU is good but I need to get new amps, speakers and a sub. Can anyone please recommend specific brands and models. My budget is 30K, listen to rock and prefer good tight bass.

Thanks
AG
Old 29th September 2007, 10:45   #2
BHPian

HU: Alpine
Rear: Kicker ES693/Hertz
Front: Hertz
Sub: ID/Hertz
Amp: Audison
Cable: Monster/Audison
Old 29th September 2007, 12:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgup View Post
Can anyone please recommend specific brands and models. My budget is 30K, listen to rock and prefer good tight bass.
9K will get you nice front and rear speakers from JBL, Illusion, Hertz, Blaupunkt (Thc/Thx). For the front think 6" components, for the rear 5" coax.

12-13K will get you a good 4 ch. amplifier (JBL 75.4) or 2 moderate 4 ch. amps like the Blau GT4.

that leaves 7-8K.

7-8K will get you a 12" sub in a box like the JBL GT 4-12. Since you want tight bass a tube sub is not recomended.

Now lets explain the choice of amplifer.

if the sub is a DVC sub I think using 2 Blau GT4s might make as much sense as a single JBL 75.4. Using 2 Blau GT4s will allow you to drive your rear speakers with an external amp instead of the HUs amp.

if the Sub is a SVC sub however the JBL 75.4 is a better bet as 2 channels of one of the Blau amps (if you were to get 2 x Blau GT4 amps) will not be used in this case.
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:36   #4

JBL, Blau, ID, Hertz etc...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. Can anyone recommend any shop where I can get this stuff in Hyderabad.

Thanks in Advance..
AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
9K will get you nice front and rear speakers from JBL, Illusion, Hertz, Blaupunkt (Thc/Thx). For the front think 6" components, for the rear 5" coax.

12-13K will get you a good 4 ch. amplifier (JBL 75.4) or 2 moderate 4 ch. amps like the Blau GT4.

that leaves 7-8K.

7-8K will get you a 12" sub in a box like the JBL GT 4-12. Since you want tight bass a tube sub is not recomended.

Now lets explain the choice of amplifer.

if the sub is a DVC sub I think using 2 Blau GT4s might make as much sense as a single JBL 75.4. Using 2 Blau GT4s will allow you to drive your rear speakers with an external amp instead of the HUs amp.

if the Sub is a SVC sub however the JBL 75.4 is a better bet as 2 channels of one of the Blau amps (if you were to get 2 x Blau GT4 amps) will not be used in this case.
Old 3rd October 2007, 19:01   #5
BHPian

I too was planning a similar upgrade to my vRS just to add to Amgup's question..

Will it be too much of a compromise with a single amp like the JBL mentioned below and run the coax on the HU ?

What is the difference between a DVC sub and a SVC Sub ? What kind of enclosure would you recommend ? Would appreciate brands with approx price range including enclosure.

Does this kind of a set up require dampening ? also if you could provide approx cost for installation and cables it would be much appreciated

Tks
Old 4th October 2007, 12:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

whatever your choices are, make sure that you have an UNBIASED audition BEFORE you buy.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni View Post
Will it be too much of a compromise with a single amp like the JBL mentioned below and run the coax on the HU ?

What is the difference between a DVC sub and a SVC Sub ? What kind of enclosure would you recommend ?

Does this kind of a set up require dampening ?
a single amp like the 75.4 will do quite well too. the rear coax can be run of the HU.

DVC subs have 2 voice coils, SVC subs have one. This however does NOT determine which sub is better.

All set ups (with our without subs) will be helped with damping. Front doors are the worst, trunks are next, esp if you have a sub, under carpet damping and firewall damping reduces road noise.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Navin ji, is damping necessary for an Octavia?
Old 4th October 2007, 12:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Navin ji, is damping necessary for an Octavia?
If you can afford it yes. while the octy panels are considerable stiffer than a honda city the octy also benefits from damping.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Alpine 9830

Need help with my HU , which has suddenly stopped working. Previously there was a missing display it later re appeared but used to flicker (on and off) so I switched it off , now the problem is it does'nt come on anymore .

Any idea what the problem could be ? Need information on service center in Pune or Mumbai ( Pune preferably)

The car comes with a two year warranty , would this hold good for the HU as well ?? or would warranty terms differ ?

Appreciate any help..
Old 12th October 2007, 14:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

rchimni, PM Shrivz, he has the contact number for Alpine authorized service in Pune. He recently used their service to get his Alpine HU fixed.
Old 12th October 2007, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Here's the contact info:

Alpine, AUZO, JVC, clarion authorized service centre

Avi Electronics,
Shop No. 2,
A.J. Complex,
281 Sadashiv Peth, Near Navi Peth Talim,
Opp. Philips Showroom,
Pune - 411030

Tel: 020 69491206, 26328227
Mob: 9226471858
Mr. Ajay Gole
Old 15th November 2007, 16:16   #13
BHPian

Finally decided to upgrade my ice in my car ( skoda vRS), went to Pune motors and here is what I saw ..The reason I am getting this done in Pune is more because of service related issues should anything go wrong despite people recommending Mumbai..

I still have to listen to diffent brands however Vineet ( pune motors) tells me the only option I have is between the JBL, Hertz and kicker components reason being the magnets of the othere are too big and will interfere with the power window winder mechanism is that true ??

If so is there a way around it ?? I would ideally like to retain the original grill.

Here are the prices he gave me , all items are with bill and warranty could the "gurus" validate for me ?

Amp - JBL 75.4 - 11500
Comp- GTO 607C - 6000 ( For the front )
coax- GTO 507 - 2750 ( Rear)
Monstor cable - 3400 ( 3x1150)
power cable and fuse link - 1000
Damping - 1000 ( Front doors only )
Subwoofer GT5 series - 7500
Installation - 1000

Pioneer 8950 - 16000 ( grey market ) I suspect this is on the higher side, the reason I chose this is because it has a bluetooth and ipod interface.

Are there other HU's which have both features ?
Suggestions from the guru's would be much appreciated..

Last edited by rchimni : 15th November 2007 at 16:18.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni View Post
Subwoofer GT5 series - 7500
Dude, I hope that is a discounted price for a pair. And not an inflated price for a piece.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:38   #15
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance.. but he mentioned Its the new GT series enclosed subwoofer .. Any input on the HU and the rest of the stuff>>

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks