Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:50   #1
BHPian

suggestions regarding making of subwoofer box

hi friends

i really don't know whether I should post this query in DIY section but that is what I figured out.

I'd be buying a sub soon and I need suggestion regarding its making. I think suggestion on these areas would also help other fellow TBhpians when they get these sub boxes made up (specially people from relatively smaller cities)

Its obvious that I am not making the box myself, I'd just arrange the following things and take care about it when my local ICE dealer would set out making the box because I am damn sure that he'd give me just a "dabba" for my sub not a even an average sub box (but acc. to him it would be one the best boxes he'd ever made). Following are a few things i could figure out and I need suggestions on it (Please include any other if I have missed out on any which i am sure I have already done):

1. the type of wood or board used (brand or any specific type or special wood required, etc that can be readily bought) i can get any type of wood but don't know whether it'll be easy procuring special boards made just for ICE and subs. and also the thickness of the wood or board.

2. what should be the inner covering and the outer covering made up of (if inner and outer covering are actually required), please mention the material type or brand whatever be the case.

3. any special attention apart from the exact dimensions as mentioned in the Sub manual.

4. any other area to take care of? (like any special adhesive to be used or any other thing, can't think of anything more)

regards
gaurav
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

For the box I would recommend 18mm MDF, marine grade. This is easy to work with.

Outer covering is mostly cosmetic - You could use a nice carpet. The inner cover serves no purpose, but in some cases a fibre fill or glass wool may be suggested.

No, just stick to the dimensions suggested by the Mfr.

Brace the box, run cross bar braces inside the box. Remember a good box does not vibrate with the bass. Bracing, cross bracing is important. Also make sure that the joints are super tight. I find that running a finger with white m-seal ALL around the inner edges of the box make it stronger and firmer.

Remember to use a proper terminal for the wires, not a hole in the box with wires coming out. Alternatively you could mount a female speakon in the enclosure.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Alternatively you could mount a female speakon in the enclosure.
Oh really?!
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I find that running a finger with white m-seal ALL around the inner edges of the box make it stronger and firmer.
It is a nice option but one can mix Saw-dust and fevicol to make a paste to fill the inner edges. Also the silicone sealent used to fix windshield will also work fine.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:12   #5

Sam i have heard that filling the box with household pillow "kapoos" or cotton wool gives better bass. Is it right?
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Sam i have heard that filling the box with household pillow "kapoos" or cotton wool gives better bass. Is it right?
dacron (polyfil) a la those pillows made by Vimal/Reliance works better. use about 0.5lb - 1lb per cu. ft. too much is not good.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:52   #7
BHPian

As per experiences of members, what are the common mistakes committed in enclosure building?

I am asking because I built an enclosure for my friend once. All dimensions perfect. Just that it was leaking somewhere and I didnt know why or how :-(
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
As per experiences of members, what are the common mistakes committed in enclosure building?(
the most common mistake I have made is over estimating my skill in making boxes.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:51   #9

is it possible to connect to connect speaker box (3way) for a tape deck like aiwa or sony directly to an car amp in car ? the spk box is already in a closed box with the deck.
Old 5th October 2007, 22:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the most common mistake I have made is over estimating my skill in making boxes.
I understand. Can we still have a list of common mistakes made?

I tried with all my might. Got all dimensions perfect. Sealed up the insides with a mix of the dust and fevicol. Then topped it with silicone sealant.
Still leak in the end
Old 6th October 2007, 01:37   #11
BHPian

How ca one detect leak in sub enc,mine sub makes some nois which is normal when it's played loud and heavy bass note is played at moderate level it's quite normal...

Last edited by Gill : 6th October 2007 at 01:40. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 6th October 2007, 09:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I understand. Can we still have a list of common mistakes made?

I tried with all my might. Got all dimensions perfect. Sealed up the insides with a mix of the dust and fevicol. Then topped it with silicone sealant.
Still leak in the end
try sealing the woofer basket with a rubber grommet. this is where the woofer meets the wood. If you dont have a rubber grommet (i make mine by cutting concentric circles out of rubber) you can use silicone glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastaway View Post
is it possible to connect to connect speaker box (3way) for a tape deck like aiwa or sony directly to an car amp in car ? the spk box is already in a closed box with the deck.
No. a home tape deck does NOT have a built-in power amp like car tape decks have.
Old 6th October 2007, 10:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still leak in the end
Scary, what screws did you use... and how many per joint side. Got any pics?
Old 6th October 2007, 12:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still leak in the end
Don't tell me you have a ported box.

Anyway, if you did the fevicol + saw dust mix and used silicon sealant there should not be any leakages. Which part of the box is leaking? Is it the edges, around the driver mounting, or where the cable terminal cup is mounted? These areas are most prone to causing trouble.
Old 6th October 2007, 15:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Scary, what screws did you use... and how many per joint side. Got any pics?
Used self tapping screws for the terminal cup, woofer mounting.

For the enclosure, dont know the exact name. Were lying at the place where I built it.
Screws were used a 70:30 proportion (nails:screws)

Was that too less? What is the exact benefit offered by screws?

Can someone post their version on a guide to Enclosure building?
I'm making a new enclosure in a few days so want to do maximum homework before getting down to the work this time.

Nope. No pics. Will click this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Don't tell me you have a ported box.
Nope. It's supposed to be a sealed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Which part of the box is leaking? Is it the edges, around the driver mounting, or where the cable terminal cup is mounted? These areas are most prone to causing trouble.
Box is not in front of me. So cant detect the exact place of the leakage. Nor do I know the exact method on how to detect leaks.

Terminal cup is rubberised at the part which comes in contact with wood. That makes it a sort of rubber gasket.
How to mount the driver properly then?
As I already requested, a step by step guide on the building process would be wonderful.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 6th October 2007 at 15:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks