Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2007, 00:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am not always one of them.
And that always makes atleast two of us like you very correctly yourself presumed.
Old 5th October 2007, 00:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Being an Audiophile is not a good thing.
when you are a music lover you listen to music, when you are an audiophile you listen to the defects
that said I remember a saying
"Music fans listen to music, Audiophiles listen to stereos"

Anyways this 1M$ award is to prove that if you spend 7000$+ will you get better sound than 700$+?
Old 5th October 2007, 00:59   #18
BHPian

Sorry for being dumb. What exactly is a Line Level Cable?
Personally i dont believe in doing up the car ICE.
A basic one will suffice for me. However i believe in proper IHE (In house Entertainment) and i have an ONKYO DTS receiver with dgitial coax (mine is 5 years old and does not have HDMI) and stock ONKYO cables for my ONKYO speakers. I did not spend more than 700 bucks on the digital coax cable. I did not believe that anything higher would make much difference (for some reason... .don't ask me to justify what is the logic behind 700 rs as the upper logical limit on spending )
Would you say that it would be difficult to tell the diff if i swapped this with a 2000 rupee unit?
Are you saying the same about speaker cables too?

Now here is a related question. Sometimes i find that when listening music on radio certain songs sound very different and i'm able to pickup music tones hitherto unheard in normal CD units at home or elsewhere in general. This happens only with select radio stations.

Is this because these stations have some ultra high end CD players? or is it something else?

Here is another naive question. a car is an inherently a noisy place and has all elements to reduce fidelity. Why does one spend all cash on an ICE. Wont it fetch better results when spent on an In house entertainment?

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 5th October 2007 at 01:05.
Old 5th October 2007, 01:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Being an Audiophile is not a good thing.
when you are a music lover you listen to music, when you are an audiophile you listen to the defects
that said I remember a saying
"Music fans listen to music, Audiophiles listen to stereos"

Anyways this 1M$ award is to prove that if you spend 7000$+ will you get better sound than 700$+?
Audiophiles will say yes.

Others would say, an engine-wengine upgrade ( why not turbo too) with that money
Old 5th October 2007, 01:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

It's the same with engines man. Somebody replaces some stupid hose pipe and everyone pretends he got 1 horse more and the car is madly faster.
It's the Emperor's new Clothes!
Old 5th October 2007, 01:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Sorry for being dumb. What exactly is a Line Level Cable?
the RCA cable which is from HU to the AMP.
Old 5th October 2007, 01:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • I'm saying I can hear the difference, because otherwise you'll think I'm completely stupid and tone-deaf.
  • I am saying I can hear the difference, because I already paid for the wire and people will laugh at me if I say I can't make out the difference.
  • I am saying I can hear the difference, so you'll finally shut the hell up.

That is true, the hype is must greater than the actual result achieved.
Old 5th October 2007, 02:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Here is another naive question. a car is an inherently a noisy place and has all elements to reduce fidelity. Why does one spend all cash on an ICE. Wont it fetch better results when spent on an In house entertainment?
Yes it will fetch far better results on an In house entertainment system. Once we figure out how to access the superb sounding, extremely expensive IHE systems on our daily commutes / long drives etc. we'll put all these bloody Car Entertainment companies out of business
Old 5th October 2007, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Thanks folks for the enlightenment Do people focus on soundproofing cars as much as they do on the equipment?
Old 5th October 2007, 11:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks for the enlightenment Do people focus on soundproofing cars as much as they do on the equipment?
Yes they do.
But this is not to soundproof the car (i.e. to prevent the sound from being heard outside the car) but to prevent the car from vibrating and rattling when loud music is played, lol.
Old 5th October 2007, 11:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But given the same system, same hardware, same line-level cables and same level - the difference between decent speaker wire from a good brand and good speaker wire from a good brand is something very few people can point out.
Sam, this does depend on the entire audio chain, from the CD being played to all the electronics and eventually the speakers and the room itself. These changes are often more noticeable on certain genres of music (acapella, baroque, acoustic piano) played on certain speakers.

Clarifiation: I am not a disciple of Peter Belt and co.
Old 5th October 2007, 11:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes they do.
But this is not to soundproof the car (i.e. to prevent the sound from being heard outside the car) but to prevent the car from vibrating and rattling when loud music is played, lol.
Well much of the damping done to the firewall and to the floor board is to reduce road noise.

trafic noise however will always be present. It is dangerous to have a car that is so silent as to not have any aural cues of the traffic.
Old 5th October 2007, 15:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
These changes are often more noticeable on certain genres of music (acapella, baroque, acoustic piano) played on certain speakers.
Clarifiation: I am not a disciple of Peter Belt and co.
Sure. Right. OK. We believe you.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:35   #29
BHPian

I have a good friend of mine who only determines audio quality by technical terminology of the components (and hence must be good) - it is sort of similar to wine (or whiskey - is the $100 difference between 18 year and 20 years worth it?).. I can determine if the wine is crappy, decent, good or excellent and that's all there is to it. Audio is similar.. There is no end to the money you can spend.. Some of it is wasted if you have wax collection ;-).. For those who do not want to spend a lot of money on speaker cables, go to the electrical shop - ask for oxygen free cables and get a thick copper one. They should give you decent to good quality..
Old 5th October 2007, 20:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ok 2-3 "audiophiles" have already posted in, but no conclusive answers to the test yet....where are rest of the bunch who can justify that this spending is worthwhile, going on the premise "more expensive....better it is"!! They once sold me a port for Rs. 850-900 saying that this could do wonders and results would be comparable to night and day. I bought that and never looked back, sound was similar to another port that costed me Rs. 80. End of the day, I lost a friend for making him buy that XYZ brand.

Last edited by panky12345 : 5th October 2007 at 20:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks