Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 23:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

Are expensive speaker cables better? 1M$ if you can prove that

James Randi offered US$ 1 million to anyone who can prove that a pair of $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables is any better than ordinary Monster Cables.

The reward : James Randi's Swift - September 28, 2007
The reason this was offered? Because somebody posted a review that expensive speaker cables are better
anjou

Sure there are going to be lots of opinions, and if you really agree that expensive cables will give you better results, why not try for a million dollars?
Old 4th October 2007, 23:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is like the same Richard Clark amp experiment but he offered $ 20,000...
Old 4th October 2007, 23:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is like the same Richard Clark amp experiment but he offered $ 20,000...
That won't be enough to ICE your swift, I guess a million is the minimum you need.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
a pair of $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables is any better than ordinary Monster Cables.
If its any good, atleast someone thinks Monster is ordinary.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can we consider this wonderful thread here? I was enlightened about the difference because of what Sam explained excellently here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html

As far as experimenting and debating goes, we all know that under strange restricted conditions, people may or may not able to differentiate between two products.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Well he thinks monster is overpriced to be accurate.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Can we consider this wonderful thread here? I was enlightened about the difference because of what Sam explained excellently here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html

As far as experimenting and debating goes, we all know that under strange restricted conditions, people may or may not able to differentiate between two products.
The question here is not thick or thin wires buddy.
But the question is whether a 7000$ thick wire better than a 100$ thick wire.

As for conditions, if you can prove the above statement, you get a million dollars.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Well he thinks monster is overpriced to be accurate.
The CEO of Monstor is a neighbor of a friend of mine. His house has the max. number of home theaters - you know where all that money is going!
Old 4th October 2007, 23:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Deja Vu!

LBM and Autophile had a similar discussion about amplifier comparison and a theory saying 'A watt is a watt'.

Anyway, the challenge is something that I can't imagine taking up. Let the gurus start, while I join the audience.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Deja Vu!

LBM and Autophile had a similar discussion about amplifier comparison and a theory saying 'A watt is a watt'.

Anyway, the challenge is something that I can't imagine taking up. Let the gurus start, while I join the audience.
from whatever communitcations engineering I have done, designing an amplifier is much more complex than designing a shielded cable.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:54   #11
BHPian

Well according to Mr.Van del Hul himself spending more than 20% of system cost on cables would be gettign diminishing returns on money spent. A budget of 10-15% of system cost should be minimum according to him.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from whatever communitcations engineering I have done, designing an amplifier is much more complex than designing a shielded cable.
Agreed. We're not talking about the complexity of the products. If you try to run a setup with either a badly designed amplifier or a cable, the end result is a considerable amount of difference. Perceivable or not is the question.

I therefore have a doubt, that when it comes to 'perceivable' difference, the topic becomes debatable.
Old 5th October 2007, 00:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I therefore have a doubt, that when it comes to 'perceivable' difference, the topic becomes debatable.

Some times it is more like a EGO issue with some people that even after failing a ABX test they will not agree on the same.

Again this is a very sensitive topic I will must stay away from it.
Old 5th October 2007, 00:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

some thing related to expensive cables ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...-underway.html
Old 5th October 2007, 00:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me state this much. I truly believe Audiophile is an overused and much abused term.

Neither B&T (if I may), nor I consider ourselves to be audiophiles. In fact personally I abhor the term. Another thing I think happens in high end audio - is the urge to justify to oneself or to others why you spent $600 on speaker wire. Then a silly delusion creeps into the scene where people pretend to understand what's going on and pretend that they can understand the difference and say "ooohhh" and "aaahhh". Like the Emperor's new clothes.

You say - "Dekha??Haan? Suna???" and I say- "Yeah yeah, big difference - superb" Which basically means either:
  • I'm saying I can hear the difference, because otherwise you'll think I'm completely stupid and tone-deaf.
  • I am saying I can hear the difference, because I already paid for the wire and people will laugh at me if I say I can't make out the difference.
  • I am saying I can hear the difference, so you'll finally shut the hell up.
IMO:

The critical wire, where anyone can hear a clear difference is line level. RCA cable. I never compromise here, ever.

Given the same amplifier, same cd player and same speakers, a different line-level cable sound completely different. ANYONE can hear the difference.

Power is critical too - but only in terms of quality and the cross sectional diameter of the conductor used.

But speaker wire? Take cheap dirty speaker wire - like the kind that comes free-in-the-box of cheap car speakers. Now take any good speaker wire from a decent brand.
The difference is clear. This I agree with.

But given the same system, same hardware, same line-level cables and same level - the difference between decent speaker wire from a good brand and good speaker wire from a good brand is something very few people can point out.

I am not always one of them.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th October 2007 at 00:47.

Most Viewed