Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 12:07   #16
BHPian

With my limited knowledge and with all due respect to Sony, I think these are the most overrated system courtsey all those stupid car accessories shop, who by the way cannot differentiate between a nickel or a dime. Anyways, now damage control.As frank has suggested go to good installer check the wirings,and connectors and cables, as people forget to give due importance to these. If required change it and then try to tune it according to your sound preference.I think you will be happy.@Frank to continue boost up the bass and treble, forget the mids, and play the usual dhing chaks at the top volume, and "Saab, keya system hay saab, awaaz suna apney". Happy Saab pops another grand to the installer as tips
Old 31st December 2008, 10:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
With my limited knowledge and with all due respect to Sony, I think these are the most overrated system courtsey all those stupid car accessories shop, who by the way cannot differentiate between a nickel or a dime. Anyways, now damage control.As frank has suggested go to good installer check the wirings,and connectors and cables, as people forget to give due importance to these. If required change it and then try to tune it according to your sound preference.I think you will be happy.@Frank to continue boost up the bass and treble, forget the mids, and play the usual dhing chaks at the top volume, and "Saab, keya system hay saab, awaaz suna apney". Happy Saab pops another grand to the installer as tips
Even I thought so....

One more favour. The box in my esteem.... isn't it suppose to have an air passage somewhere. I've noticed woofers in home theater systems with air outlet passages.

The box I have in my esteem is closed from all 4 sides.

Also which way the woofer should face. Towards the backseat or towards the boot opening side.

Thanks
Old 31st December 2008, 12:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

you have a sealed enclosure.
the sub you are using may be a free air, hence the output is not that satisfying.
also, subs in sealed enclosures need more power to drive them as compared to the ported(the ones with air passage) enclosures.
the sony amp will not provide much power to the sub, hence the low output. you need a new amp, if your connections are fine and you are still not happy with the sound quality.
i dunno how the shape of the enclosure is, but place the sub in different directions, and see which position has the best output
Old 31st December 2008, 12:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

since you are in dilli, you have access to some of the best ICE tuners.Team bhp's own gunbir and Low_Bass_Makker

for gunbir's stuff, try driven @ East of kailash, LBM is usually found in faridabad - its not very hard to find him, he's usually heard miles away . Just remember to fix a budget and keep your wallets, credit cards , wife and kids etc somewhere safe before you listen to their world of ICE !
Old 31st December 2008, 13:03   #20
BANNED

lol greenhorn, thats a funny tip....keep wife, kids away
Old 31st December 2008, 13:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

In general, anything of value. I would have said kidneys too, but thats not feasible
OT: when I went to emperor to ICE my car, I withdrew 18k from my card and left the card with dad. And instructed everyone with me not to lend me any money no matter what i told them

You know the greek myth about sirens right ? good ICE is something like that !

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st December 2008 at 13:16.
Old 31st December 2008, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
In general, anything of value. I would have said kidneys too, but thats not feasible
OT: when I went to emperor to ICE my car, I withdrew 18k from my card and left the card with dad. And instructed everyone with me not to lend me any money no matter what i told them

You know the greek myth about sirens right ? good ICE is something like that !
greenhorn!

Thats a mighty "best practice" there!
Its tips like these that makes Team-Bhp an awesome forum !
Old 5th January 2009, 12:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
since you are in dilli, you have access to some of the best ICE tuners.Team bhp's own gunbir and Low_Bass_Makker

for gunbir's stuff, try driven @ East of kailash, LBM is usually found in faridabad - its not very hard to find him, he's usually heard miles away . Just remember to fix a budget and keep your wallets, credit cards , wife and kids etc somewhere safe before you listen to their world of ICE !

Gunbir It is then. Thanks for the advice. I'll go this Sunday..........

And I think I'll carry my Dad's credit card
Old 7th January 2009, 22:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
Even I thought so....

One more favour. The box in my esteem.... isn't it suppose to have an air passage somewhere. I've noticed woofers in home theater systems with air outlet passages.

The box I have in my esteem is closed from all 4 sides.

Also which way the woofer should face. Towards the backseat or towards the boot opening side.

Thanks
Depending on the type of music you listen to, the box will vary. If you need tight bass then keep the same sealed box you have rightnow,other wise get the ported one (the ones like home theater ones with air outlet).
Now i would suggest that you dont sell your Sony amp cause its not that bad. With proper wiring, it can do wonders and you would not have to spend stupidly on expensive amp's which only have brand name and nothing else. Well coming back to the point, keep the sony amp,get it properly wired and keep your Pio sub too (do check the box). By doing this only, you will see a major diffrence in the output.
Let me know if you are going to Driven this sunday, then i might turn up. PM me if you are coming to Driven this weekend.
Cheers.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:24   #25
BHPian

Sub Woofer Enclosures

Sub Woofer Enclosures
The purpose of the subwoofer enclosure is to allow a subwoofer driver to produce the desired bass frequency response. Not everyone likes the same kind of bass. A 19-year-old hip-hop fan would want a different kind of sound from a 30-year-old jazz lover. The keys to getting what you want is understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each type of box and matching the right box to the right driver.

Sealed Enclosures
Sealed enclosures will take up less space in the vehicle. Use a subwoofer driver that is specifically designed for small sealed enclosures like the Polk dX and Polk/MOMO subwoofers. Sealed enclosures usually produce a flat, extended and "tight" bass response but are less efficient than ported enclosures, so you'll need a powerful amplifier to get loud bass. A sealed box is a good choice for customers looking for an accurate, more sophisticated sound. It is critical with this kind of design that the box be well constructed and absolutely airtight. Air leaks will cause noises that are easily mistaken as blown driver noises.

Ported Enclosures
Ported or "vented" boxes have the advantage of delivering high bass output with less amplifier power than is needed for a sealed enclosure. Ported boxes can have very good deep bass response but will be less "tight" sounding than a sealed box. Vented boxes are larger than a sealed enclosure. At high volume levels the port can make a "chuffing" noise because of high speed air-flow in the port tube. Ported systems with high "Vent Air Velocity" are not good choices for people who want to play their systems very loud.

Bandpass Enclosures
This type of enclosure consists of two enclosure sections. The first section is a sealed and the second section is ported. The woofer is loaded into the sealed side and then the front of the cone is firing into the ported side. This design is called "Bandpass" because it will only reproduce certain bass frequencies |within a narrow section of the audio band. The advantages of this type of enclosure are very high efficiency and steeper filtering of unwanted midrange frequencies. Bandpass boxes can produce awesome amounts of bass with very little amplifier power. But there is a price to pay for this efficiency. Bandpass boxes tend to produce "one-note," somewhat "boomy" bass and are large. People who like to listen to Bass CDs tend to like bandpass boxes. They are also a good choice in systems where another woofer handles the mid-bass chores and the bandpass is needed only for reproducing the very lowest bass range. Even though they are ported, bandpass boxes have low Vent Air Velocity and can play very loud without excessive port noise.
DON'T FORGET
To Ensure Good Bass from Your Box:
1. Pre drill all screw holes.
2. Seal all interior seams with a silicone caulking.
3. Install a gasket on the back of the basket.
M@verick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 00:12   #26
BHPian

The Subwoofer Dilemma

I am planning to upgrade audio setup in my car from 2 pairs of Infinity components to existing setup + Alpine 4 channel amplifier + 12" subwoofer. I already have the amplifier with me which was sourced from US 2-3 years back. The subwoofer search is still keeping me on my toes. Should I -

1. Go with a basstube? (Its huge - does it make a huge difference to sound also?
2. Go with a normal subwoofer and get it fitted in a vented box as suggested by a local vendor?
3. Go with a pre-fitted enclosure sub like this -
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pion...51231?pos=5;95

I will connect the front pair of components to the amplifier and also connect the subwoofer to the remaining to channels in bridged mode.
Old 28th September 2013, 01:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Subwoofer Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I am planning to upgrade audio setup in my car from 2 pairs of Infinity components to existing setup + Alpine 4 channel amplifier + 12" subwoofer. I already have the amplifier with me which was sourced from US 2-3 years back. The subwoofer search is still keeping me on my toes. Should I -

1. Go with a basstube? (Its huge - does it make a huge difference to sound also?
2. Go with a normal subwoofer and get it fitted in a vented box as suggested by a local vendor?
3. Go with a pre-fitted enclosure sub like this -
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pion...51231?pos=5;95

I will connect the front pair of components to the amplifier and also connect the subwoofer to the remaining to channels in bridged mode.
Hi Pahwa,

1. Basstubes don't sound so great (my opinion only)
2. Yes, if your vendor knows what he's doing
3. Ideally, especially if you aren't sure your vendor knows what he's doing.

Cheers!
gunbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 13:56   #28
BHPian

Re: The Subwoofer Dilemma

Basstubes are absolute boom boom with zero SQ. Just my personal opinion.

As far as enclosures go, it will completely depend on what you are looking to achieve. A vent will always add a boomy effect to the sound thereby reducing the accurate punch that you will prefer if you are more SQL than SPL. For me, a sealed enclosure works best. It gives the tight and accurate (not boomy) bass that I like.

What is also important is the dimensions of the enclosure. They should be made according to the specifications that is mentioned for the particular subwoofer. Go over and you lose out on the accuracy and tightness of bass.

Bottom line: Go with a decent brand like Rockford Fosgate or Infinity who are well known for their subs. Also find a decent installer who knows what he's doing, like Gunbir said. He will give you an appropriate installation according to your requirements.
swarnava.m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Re: Bass Tube or Woofer Enclosure

I knew someone who had a tube installed in his car and its just a big bang boom in the car. Bass in a music must be controlled and should time well with the music instead of just bouncing around. I completely agree with Gunbir saab and swarnava. If you are on a budget then you could look at subs that perform better than expected in that price range like the Bull Audio subs that I have experienced lately.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 17th November 2013 at 12:25.
Old 18th November 2013, 14:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bass Tube or Woofer Enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
... Bass in a music must be controlled and should time well with the music instead of just bouncing around. ... subs that perform better than expected in that price range like the Bull Audio subs that I have experienced lately.
Just about any sub can do that, provided one gets the right type and size of enclosure. Not just Bull, but JBL, Infinity, Polk, Kicker, Pio, etc. - and all are in the same price bracket.

Most decent installers suggest a sealed box. Some suggest a ported box if the customer is leaning towards loud bass. Only if the customer wants a lot bass at very little cost do installers suggest a bass tube - powered or unpowered. Some pre-built bass tubes give pretty decent, if slightly boomy, bass.

Once installed, one has to play with direction the sub faces as well as the phase of the sub to get good integration with front stage. Time Alignment eases the process and helps get good integration with front stage, but then that would require either an HU with built-in TA or an external DSP.

Most Viewed