Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 15:13   #1
BANNED

Speakers in my Car !

Dear Team-BHPins,

Need your help ! I have Philips Deck (Cd/ Cassette payer ) at home, it has 100w / 8 ohm speakers, Speakers are mint condition ( speakers has plastic box), As no-body was finding time listen it became remain unused for 2.5 years, Now its cd-player stop working. As player doesn’t support mp3 player, we have decided to get new Deck, Now speaker of earlier Deck will be un-used, can I use these speaker in my car? Do I need to add amplifier in my car ? I have Kenwood Head unit which I recently bought!

Thx in Advance !

Best Regards,
Jitendra
Old 8th October 2007, 15:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

Yes, you can use the speakers if they are still working fine. I assume these are home audio box speakers. You may have some trouble mounting them in your car.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi!

Yes, you can use the speakers if they are still working fine. I assume these are home audio box speakers. You may have some trouble mounting them in your car.
yes you can use them. expect to sound a bit bass shy and a tad soft since they are 8 ohms and most car amps are expecting a 4 ohm speaker.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:44   #4
BANNED

Sam,Navin,

Thx for your reply ..

Sam >> Any idea how shd i fix the box.

Navin >> Could not understand much ,, what ever you wrote,, can you explain in simple language ? will sound quality will be good ?? do i need to buy Amplifier ??

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 8th October 2007, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

you would not be needing an amplifier to power them. the sound is very subjective, loud for me may not be loud for you. It should be OK for you to actually power them and see for yourself if you like the sound (you can attach them with no problems).
Old 8th October 2007, 15:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

no your HU wil drive these speakers but they wont be very loud becuae the HU was designed to drive speaker that have a lower impedance.

if you are installing the speaker with the box (I thought you are going to remove the speakers from the box and install them) you should be better off. only i have no idea how you are going to mount the box.
Old 8th October 2007, 16:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Here's a pic of a fellow bhpians speaker setup:

Old 8th October 2007, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

gosh! when did LBM upgrade?
Old 8th October 2007, 16:37   #9
BHPian

Mount the rear speakers (with boxes) facing up - pretty much as if they were mounted like car speakers. You could even leave the speaker boxess on the floor of the boot (I assume your car is a hatchback), facing up, without actually bolting them to the floor. Do take care to remove the hat rack, if there is one.

The very good positive side of your method (of using home speaker boxes in your car), is that they work the same way even when the hatch is open in your car - very good for parking lot parties.

Impedance wise, the car HUs do not deliver as much power into a higher impedance home speakers. Hence, the comments like "shallow bass", "not loud enough" etc.

Try the Kenwood HU. If you need more bass/punch/loudness, you could always go for an amp.

PS: From what I know of speakers, mounting them as shown in picture above (from iraghava) may not be the best way, particularly in a hatchback on the move. Of course, they are good if you are going to use your car in a parking lot party!!!
Old 8th October 2007, 17:59   #10
BANNED

if i places my speaker like iraghava shown or facing up without bolting then i guess they will dance up and down when i will go from pathholes

plz suggest better way !

Regards,
JItendra
Old 9th October 2007, 09:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

for a while there I thought you were gonna post pics of Vivek's CCTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
LBM did not upgrade!

He downgraded from the set up shown in Rags's pic to the current DLS-STEG-152.7db one. :-)
Old 9th October 2007, 10:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM did not upgrade!
He downgraded from the set up shown in Rags's pic to the current DLS-STEG-152.7db one. :-)
On the ENT doctor's recommendation, one might add, answering his better half's prayers for eternal longevity for him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
if i places my speaker like iraghava shown or facing up without bolting then i guess they will dance up and down when i will go from pathholes. plz suggest better way !
There is a post by @blueraven where there are photos of ovals mounted near the quarter glass. See if your speaker boxes can be similarly mounted in the quarter glass area using L-brackets.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:37   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
On the ENT doctor's recommendation, one might add, answering his better half's prayers for eternal longevity for him!
There is a post by @blueraven where there are photos of ovals mounted near the quarter glass. See if your speaker boxes can be similarly mounted in the quarter glass area using L-brackets.
Thx for your email ! as per your advice searched the thread but could not got ! it will be great of you can forward the link
Old 9th October 2007, 10:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Thx for your email ! as per your advice searched the thread but could not got ! it will be great of you can forward the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ll-wagonr.html
Old 9th October 2007, 11:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM did not upgrade!

Seroisuly speaking I used to have two Bolton 8 inch subs in the boot and a pair of Dome tweeter (MT-30) in the front of my M800. I really used to enjoy that setup back then. It was powered by twin TDA1280 self assembled amp as kits were available in the market.

But the enclosure were not so good made as posted in the above pic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks