Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 00:20   #1
BHPian

HU Upgarde-Utmost confusion!!!!

Hi,
I am about to change my HU(Kenwood Mp436),had shorlisted Alpine 9887,was about to but it,then i got to know about the Clarion DXZ 775 model,now i a am again in adobut specs look same but Imprint thing which cost 250$ more.If we don't consider that kit for a momment the what are your views on these two:-
Clarion:-
Clarion U.S.A. | DXZ775USB
Alpine:-
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CDA-9887
Clarion HU has a 24 bit dac but it's not burr brown.does that makes a difference which is worthwhile considering!!ANd clarion Hu has a motorised plate
Money is not an crieteira for selection,one plus clarion has it's usb connectvity with out extra cost.
Plz advice!!which one should i go for!

Last edited by Gill : 10th October 2007 at 00:23.
Old 10th October 2007, 01:14   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Run through the audio threads and see what the bandwagons opting for!
Old 10th October 2007, 01:39   #3
BHPian

More camprison.....

Detailed comparison of the featuers of both HU can be done on the basis of following links:-

Clarion DXZ775USB CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Alpine CDA-9887 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Looks wise Alpine wins all ends!!
Old 10th October 2007, 02:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Detailed comparison of the featuers of both HU can be done on the basis of following links:-

Clarion DXZ775USB CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Alpine CDA-9887 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Looks wise Alpine wins all ends!!
A week back I had the same confusion... with the very same products... What I was looking for was the cheapest HU with TA from a reputed company. I currently have a pio 6850.

The fact that the Alpine requires an additiona 250$ to really get the best out of it was a real turn off.

Clarion is known for its SQ and the Sound Restorer feature looks like it is the feature for people like me who are bound to live with mp3 but desire the recording quality of an ACD.

Also, it has TA & innumerable other settings to tweek the sound to ones taste..

Looks wise the Clarion cannot hold a candle to the Alpine and the screen sucks prime time.

The 9887 however is a great HU from Alpine, their flagship model for 2007 but I'm scared I wouldnt be able to justify the price with the Imprint software and without it I might end up always feeling that it isnt tuned the best way it can be..

Looks like the Clarion is one of the cheapest(230$) and sweetest sounding HU with TA. And I guess this might be the HU I'll end up buying if at all I.... .

Do let us know what you decide.

Cheers,
-jCube
Old 10th October 2007, 03:59   #5
BANNED

Alpine, this time has come up with a good HU line up and 9887 is a great one on top of those. I was very interested in getting one from the 2006 range of Clarion HU because they sounded great and had some excellent features, looks etc... Haven't heard the 07 range and dunno what change has happened in the new ones.

And in HUs, it doesn't always have to improve year by year. Like the case with Pioneer, Alpine etc.. Alpine HUs were just what an enthusiast would choose some years ago. Then the drastic year of 2004-05 happened when their HUs (also) started sounding a bit bright and lost it's infamous warmth and sweetness. It got better in 06 but nowhere near the pre 04 era! Now, they're slowly coming back to their originality with their 07 range.
And Pioneer had some good HUs in 06 (6850, P80/90 for example). But many (including me), were actually disappointed with their 07 range. They have lots of new features but have lost a bit in their sound signature. With some good equipment to support, they start sounding lifeless and a bit tinny. I've played around with different HUs in one same setup, and believe me, each had a character of it's own. Regarding Pios, I liked their older versions better.

Keeping this in mind, I would recommend you to first listen to a 9887 with some similar speakers setup of yours. Then see if you can get your ears on a Clarion 775. If you can't then the matter between your ears are the best deciding factor. Also remember the fact that good HUs sound more bad with bad media. Basic HUs are better with bad media. So, when you test a HU, always have the best media in your hand.

And lastly! if I were you, I would choose 9887. Just because of the fact that one cannot easily go wrong with this HU.
Old 10th October 2007, 04:12   #6
BHPian

Speedzak,
i agree with you that alpine have come up with great HU9887,but when we compare these two products where does they stand against each other!!
I am neither favouring clarion nor alpine!!moreover it's hard to get a demo fot clarion model in my area,9887 will surely be auditioned as one of my friend is getting one!
but then two how we will stack them against each other!!
Old 10th October 2007, 07:47   #7
BHPian

I used an Alpine 9873E before, now I have upgraded to Clarion DXZ575USB (thanks to blueraven for arranging HU).

I can say that Alpine is good but Clarion's SQ is slightly better than Alpine. I think Alpines give more of low end bass but Clarion focuses on SQ. Blueraven also feels the same.

If anyone in Bangalore wants to check out the Clarion HU, you are welcome to PM me!
Old 10th October 2007, 08:09   #8
BHPian

Clarion looses on looks,one of the ugliest looking hu!!!Another point of difference in their manual is XO,alpine goes to 24 db where as alpine goes to 18db Xo but the Xo are fully band passable,Peq has the same adjustable freq., with selectable widths and no limit to how close the adjusted freq. can be where as 9887 bass n treble controls can't be changed with imprint(250$ more).
Alpine has better ipod connectivity where are 775 comes with USB support
One more Marketing difference is DAC,Alpine has 24 bit DAC where as alpine has BURR BRWON?
How the 100$ price differnce justified in two head units??
I am neither in favour of clarion nor alpine,just want to decide from neutral prespective what i am buying and what for i am buying!!!!
Plz advice...
Old 10th October 2007, 10:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

While I love the Clarion sound, I hate the current Clarions for how they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I can say that Alpine is good but Clarion's SQ is slightly better than Alpine. I think Alpines give more of low end bass but Clarion focuses on SQ. Blueraven also feels the same.
Very true. The clarion will have overall balance while the Alpine will work your midbass and sub. Though that doesn't mean the Alpine is the worse of the two. Overall, everything considered, I would go for the 9887 as of now.

Last edited by gunbir : 10th October 2007 at 10:06.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:01   #10
BHPian

i was about to buy the 9887. had the money. but, it wasnt available. i got some power tools then. otherwise it would have definitely made it easier for you(gill) to decide. next month, first week, im gonna buy it for sure. i cant wait to get that thing in my car. lol

gill,

please dont buy the clarion. its ugly(IMHO). you can do better. just buy the alpine. from what i know, you wont be disappointed. hydra is using it and is extremely happy. wht more one wants. while there are no treble, bass controls iirc, its perfect for me as i prefer flat anyway.

wish i had some extra $$$ to spend. but i dont have it abhi. BTW when are you buying the HU? are you getting it from th us of a? and pleae buy it before i do so that i can listen to it before putting down my hard earned 20k on the HU(kidding) :-)

cheers
clip

edit - BTW gill, i went through the link. the clarion doesnt have an active xo. that means, you cant go active. with alpine, you can.

Last edited by clipto333 : 10th October 2007 at 12:10.
Old 10th October 2007, 17:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCube View Post
The fact that the Alpine requires an additiona 250$ to really get the best out of it was a real turn off.
Since quite a few BHPians have bought/ are planning to buy 9887, do I see a possibility of Imprint shareware? Guess we should discuss this through pm.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:08   #12
BHPian

Nura,
If i am not wrong u also have an Alpine 9987???I am surely geeting one,clip also intend to buy one,
I am in for this casue,should be start a sperate thread for this!!
Then we can see who all is in for this cause then thru PM we can settle how we goona end up doing this!!
What say guys? Collective Imprint shareware for 9987,at then end of day we all will be in benefit and settings one done won't require much change and we can pass it on to one another,and in todays world it won't reach moe then 2 days to send product anywhere in INDIA!!!!
Nura, U can count me in!!!
Let's see who all is intrested!
Old 11th October 2007, 01:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clarion looses on looks,one of the ugliest looking hu!!!
He He! A lot of guys are actually against the Clarion's hideous looks, but trust me its pretty okay to live with once you get to use one and then it does not look so bad to one's eyes.

Quote:
Another point of difference in their manual is XO,alpine goes to 24 db where as alpine goes to 18db Xo but the Xo are fully band passable,Peq has the same adjustable freq.,
I did not get this , are you comparing Alpine and Alpine ? or Clarion ?
Old 11th October 2007, 02:02   #14
BANNED

I don't think too much worry is needed about looks in HU department. It is the sound, usability and features which is going to make a lasting impression on it's owner. Yes, looks do matter a lot but not after a certain point.
And I dunno if I'm the only one but Clarion is not that ugly for my eyes.

@Gill. Your posts sometimes makes us think a lot to understand what you're trying to say. Please help us by doing some rechecks before you hit the button, Baba!
And I think it's the 9887 you mean by 9987. Alpine means Clarions. Lemons means oranges. Adn B maens A. Rihgt¿
Old 11th October 2007, 04:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I@Gill. Your posts sometimes makes us think a lot to understand what you're trying to say. Please help us by doing some rechecks before you hit the button, Baba!
And I think it's the 9887 you mean by 9987. Alpine means Clarions. Lemons means oranges. Adn B maens A. Rihgt¿
Point taken! will take care!

Most Viewed