Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2007, 01:31   #1
BHPian

Audiophilia Nervosa!!!

I've recently been considering an ICE upgrade and have had sleepless nights over the same!

I'm no audiophile, not even close to one, but
I've been thinking about different brands, which would sound better.
I've been trying to fine tune my existing JBL setup so that they don't sound as bright!
And I've recently got a whacky idea of doing a cheap DIY for 3-way components in the front!

I've not been enjoying my music! I've been scrutinizing my speakers. Listening to the speakers and not the song! changing settings on every track!

GOSH!!

Suhail calmed me down today! Finally!

and come to think of it! am I a victim of Audiophilia Nervosa!!??

for those who don't know what audiophilia nervosa is, check this out: The Audiophilia Nervosa Test

Where has the music gone! why am I not singing along (that's something I loved doing)
Am I just being too critical about things! Why?? Is it actually worth it!!

Trust me, I was much happier the day I got my install completed and had my EQ set to +4 bass, +4 mid and +2 High, with loudness and sla on full!!

Are/Have any of you experiencing/experienced this sort of behaviour, where everything begins and ends at your audio system? Please share your bit and assure me that I'm not the only mad man around!
Old 13th October 2007, 01:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Please share your bit and assure me that I'm not the only mad man around!
You met me in the evening and you still feel you're the only one?
Old 13th October 2007, 08:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I've recently got a whacky idea of doing a cheap DIY for 3-way components in the front!
Ah, good! Not whacky, but praiseworthy. Looking forward to seeing a new thread

Quote:
Are/Have any of you experiencing/experienced this sort of behaviour, where everything begins and ends at your audio system? Please share your bit and assure me that I'm not the only mad man around!
Welcome to the club! But I think you have been among the oldest members anyway. Just that you didn't quite know it
Old 13th October 2007, 09:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aah it aint only you. I have gone through this and still continue to do once in a while.

What I did was stopped fiddling around too much with the tuning part of the ICE and shifted to hip-hop and rock.

This is what happens when you listen to loadsa trance .
Old 13th October 2007, 09:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I've recently been considering an ICE upgrade and have had sleepless nights over the same!

I've been thinking about different brands, which would sound better.

I've been trying to fine tune my existing JBL setup so that they don't sound as bright!

I've not been enjoying my music! I've been scrutinizing my speakers. Listening to the speakers and not the song!

Where has the music gone! why am I not singing along (that's something I loved doing)

@shrivz

Happens to the best of us - I remember how great the music sounded when I setup my ICE, now I think of imaging, soundstaging, tonality etcetc...if I may venture a suggestion - why dont you get some new music, especially stuff you are not too familiar with?

Personally I've found that 'audiophilia nervosa' symptons are more acute (lol) when one is listening to music one has heard many times before...
Old 13th October 2007, 09:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Believe me boys, I've been saying this since I got to this section a few years ago.
It's about the music. Nothing else.

Let it go. Buy yourself a decent system and forget about it. Buy the best you can afford - then forget about it. It's not the JBL, Illusion, ID and Blaupunkt that complete the experience.
It's Jean-Luc Ponty, Dave Matthews, Jagjit Singh and Eminem.

Don't lose that. Ever. Otherwise your whole ICE is just a waste.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:04   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's not the JBL, Illusion, ID and Blaupunkt that complete the experience.
Priceless statement! Well said and just so true.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:06   #8
BHPian

See Shrivz, i did exactly like Sam just said, got whatever i could in my budget and i am happily listening to music and enjoying it
Old 13th October 2007, 10:51   #9
BANNED

Shrivz,

You are not alone. Even I am going nuts figuring out why I am not enjoying the music when the same setup in another car used to sound good and powerful. In the present scenario I find the system inadequately powered and not sounding good.

I dont know what to blame and what to upgrade if required.

Viper

Quote:

I've not been enjoying my music! I've been scrutinizing my speakers. Listening to the speakers and not the song! changing settings on every track!

Where has the music gone! why am I not singing along (that's something I loved doing) Am I just being too critical about things! Why?? Is it actually worth it!!

Old 13th October 2007, 10:55   #10
BHPian

@ Viper,
I am no audio guru but dont you already have a very very sweet setup ?
Although i havent had the pleasure of listening to your setup, i am sure it sounds great.

With that kind of setup, you are still not happy ?
Old 13th October 2007, 11:37   #11
BHPian

Thanks guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam
Believe me boys, I've been saying this since I got to this section a few years ago.
It's about the music. Nothing else.

Let it go. Buy yourself a decent system and forget about it. Buy the best you can afford - then forget about it. It's not the JBL, Illusion, ID and Blaupunkt that complete the experience.

Don't lose that. Ever. Otherwise your whole ICE is just a waste.
I'm back to being myself!!
Just going to complete my setup by adding a subwoofer and thats the end of it! no 3-way **** shat.. no nothing.. its just the music now!!

phew.. what a relief!

Thanks!
Old 13th October 2007, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Good, nice to know, you are returning back to normal :P

Btw which sub ? GZ, JBL ???
Old 13th October 2007, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Ah, good! Not whacky, but praiseworthy. Looking forward to seeing a new thread
sorry mate! thats not happening!

I'd rather spend that money on doing up the interiors.. to enhance the overall experience!
Old 13th October 2007, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Good, nice to know, you are returning back to normal :P

Btw which sub ? GZ, JBL ???
"Stick to one brand and the same series in that brand"
Old 13th October 2007, 11:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

I've been chasing the holy grail for a bit now.

1. If the system does not get your foot tapping, your heart singing, and your body swaying (no matter how stoic you are) I'd say dump it and get something that does.

2. Dont buy brands. Buy the Magic. Long ago I decided that most brands have lost the Magic or worse still never really had it. Everything is built to a price point and by accident a particular combination of components ends up sounding good in a particular enviroment with specific music. Hence I went AWOL (read as DIY).

With DIY you can configure the sound to your tastes, to your room, to your music and to your budget. Now Sam will come in and warn everyone that Navin is taking all of you off the deep end and not to listen to the Mad Piper. Maybe you shouldn't but as for me I am enjoying my jorney. If I never get to the destination it is fine, I'll just savor the moments of Magic along the way.

3. Stop chasing numbers. On this forum there is a thread on SNR and Distortion. Numbers dont make good music and besides are you going to listen to your system while looking at an oscilloscope. Start listening. Really listening. Go to every live concert (preferably with acoustic instruments) you can cause even that monkey man with the simple hand drum (the one with the 2 skins and strings) can make more listenable sounds than a Wilson Audio-Jeff Rowland/Krell combo.

Most Viewed