Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 20:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE equipment from abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Thanks sir

Was just having a look at some ebay listings, where 4 channel amps from brands like rockford, alpine, polk audio and stuff were all < $200.
Are they so cheap in india as well ?

You mentioned at i should fetch an amp from india only.
Can i really get pio/sony/kenwood below 6 K ?

Even if i can, are they equally good as aplines and rockfords ?

Btw If not ice i'll ask him to get me an iPhone 5
* Some of them are cheaper in India, or very close

* Yes, they are <=6K

* Kenwood is very sweet sounding. Pio is quite decent. RF amps are costlier, but maybe no distinct advantage. Alpines are almost the same as Kenwood. Anyhow, whether one is better than the other or not, only your ears can decide

* iPhone 5 from US - definitely not. You might have carrier problems. Hasn't been tried yet whether the US LTE one works in India (Airtel has rolled out LTE in some cities). If it doesn't work, you will have an expensive iPod!
Old 15th September 2012, 21:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
* Some of them are cheaper in India, or very close

* Yes, they are <=6K

* Kenwood is very sweet sounding. Pio is quite decent. RF amps are costlier, but maybe no distinct advantage. Alpines are almost the same as Kenwood. Anyhow, whether one is better than the other or not, only your ears can decide

* iPhone 5 from US - definitely not. You might have carrier problems. Hasn't been tried yet whether the US LTE one works in India (Airtel has rolled out LTE in some cities). If it doesn't work, you will have an expensive iPod!
In that case i'll prefer going with the iPhone i guess ;p

Btw i will be getting the unlocked version ($649), i dont seem i'll have any issues working here in india.

I have heard kenwood in person, and i m satisfied with the quality. If there isn't much of a difference i'll prefer upgrading from kenwood to kenwood only.

U mentioned earlier that use the 2 channel with the sub and drive the speakers from the 4 channel, lately i have felt that the output from the sub is not what i desired.
I am a bass lover, not the boom boom stuff but i like loud thumps.
My current amp seems under powered.
Its 2 channel 350W connected only to the sub.
All the stuff in the car is original an with bill and warranty.

What exactly should i do ?
I have evn tried changing the gain settings, but it still seems under powered.

What do i need to do apart from getting new components. ?

Thanks in advance
Old 15th September 2012, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

What all do you have in your car currently? Makes and models please.
Old 16th September 2012, 00:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
What all do you have in your car currently? Makes and models please.
Sir I currently have the following setup in my cars :

Santro :
1. Pioneer HU MVH- 1490UB
2. Kenwood amp KAC-M525
3. JBL Sub CS1215 in a sealed box.
4. Sony 6x9 speakers on the parcel tray XS-GTF69372
5. Sony 4" coaxial speakers (dont remember the model no) at the stock location.

Swift :

1. Sony HU CDX-GT44U
2. Sony 6" Coaxial speakers at the front XS-GTF16272
3. Sony 6x9 speakers on the parcel tray XS-GTF69372

Now what all do I need to add to get a better punch of bass and a better sound quality.
4" components are already on my list.
Will upgrade the ones on the swift once I plan to add a sub in the car or shift the amp from the santro if a get a new one.

An off the topic query as well, sir what if a get a 2/4 channel amp and a 12" sub and add it to a civic on the stock system ?
Just asking
Actually was thinking for a cheap solution for the bass thing on the civic as well.
I guess I am totally obsessed with it.

Sorry for asking such noobie questions.
Old 16th September 2012, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... An off the topic query as well, sir what if a get a 2/4 channel amp and a 12" sub and add it to a civic on the stock system ?
... Actually was thinking for a cheap solution for the bass thing on the civic as well.
I guess I am totally obsessed with it. ...
Obsessed you must be. Wrongly, one must add. With your Santro setup, I wonder if you hear any music at all - only thumps I guess, and that also you are dissatisfied with!

The right way of adding a sub into any system is to first make sure your fronts are amplified so that the bass appears in proportion to the music that is being played. Whether Santro, Swift or Civic. The least one can add to a stock system is a 4-channel amp - 2 channels to drive the fronts, 2 bridged to drive the sub. The rears can be driven off the HU.

Quote:
... Now what all do I need to add to get a better punch of bass and a better sound quality.
4" components are already on my list.
Will upgrade the ones on the swift once I plan to add a sub in the car or shift the amp from the santro if a get a new one.
One step at a time. Let us get the bass going first.

The cheapest solution in your case is to change the box to a ported one. The Kenwood is not a slouch with 175W rms in bridge mode. Ask your dealer / installer if they can demo a ported box. If so, just shift your sub into it and see if you like the increased bass.

The alternative would be a mono amp and a more powerful ported sub - both new. Would be substantially costlier. But first, just try the box change. Meanwhile, get the Infinity components and a 4 channel amp to replace the 2 channel one in the Santro. Use the 2 channel in the Swift to amplify the front components.
Old 16th September 2012, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Obsessed you must be. Wrongly, one must add. With your Santro setup, I wonder if you hear any music at all - only thumps I guess, and that also you are dissatisfied with!

The right way of adding a sub into any system is to first make sure your fronts are amplified so that the bass appears in proportion to the music that is being played. Whether Santro, Swift or Civic. The least one can add to a stock system is a 4-channel amp - 2 channels to drive the fronts, 2 bridged to drive the sub. The rears can be driven off the HU.

One step at a time. Let us get the bass going first.

The cheapest solution in your case is to change the box to a ported one. The Kenwood is not a slouch with 175W rms in bridge mode. Ask your dealer / installer if they can demo a ported box. If so, just shift your sub into it and see if you like the increased bass.

The alternative would be a mono amp and a more powerful ported sub - both new. Would be substantially costlier. But first, just try the box change. Meanwhile, get the Infinity components and a 4 channel amp to replace the 2 channel one in the Santro. Use the 2 channel in the Swift to amplify the front components.
As far as the santro is concerned yes majorly thumps are what i hear, the mids are a bit on the lower side, and the treble is okish rather i m not a fan of treble it kinda hurts my ear.
But yes i agree to the point that the low notes are more predominant over the others.

Is there a major difference between a ported box and a sealed enclosure ?
Coz if that solves the purpose, i suppose that can be done right away and i go with a new amp and new compos on the santro.

So finally what all do you suggest i should order from the US ?
4" components ?
Any idea how much is that gonna cost me ?

Can you give me a rough idea about the mono amp ? The brands , the price , the benefit over a 4 channel amp ?
Shall i source it from the US or buy it here ?

I seem to have irritated you to the core by asking such questions.
But team-bhp is the only source where i can learn about such stuff

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 16th September 2012 at 14:06.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

4" components ?
I reckon that you're keen on 4" components because the santro has 4" speaker provisions in the dash.

But, I'd strongly recommend 6.5" components in the front, amplifying them and mounting them on well damped doors.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I reckon that you're keen on 4" components because the santro has 4" speaker provisions in the dash.

But, I'd strongly recommend 6.5" components in the front, amplifying them and mounting them on well damped doors.
Sir the thing is that, when i got a sub in my car i thought of getting normal 6" coaxial speakers in the front.
The car is about 5 years years old and i wont mind getting my door panels cut and stuff like that.
But the thing is that the model i have (XO) doesn't have proper space for adding a 6"speaker.
There is a armrest, a door handle, and at the bottom there is a space to keep stuff like newspapers, cleaning cloths.
So even if i get them they wont fit them in my car, the only option would be to get them fitted on the rear doors but i don't thing it would make any sense.

Apart from this the second thing, wont they be bulky to carry ? (just a thought).
Old 17th September 2012, 17:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Is there a major difference between a ported box and a sealed enclosure ? ...
4" components ?

Can you give me a rough idea about the mono amp ? The brands , the price , the benefit over a 4 channel amp ?
Shall i source it from the US or buy it here ? ...
Ported boxes are more efficient than sealed - that's why they go louder. Sealed are usually more accurate than ported, but not as loud.

For 6.5" components, you have to cut the inside metal of the door to allow the magnet and the part of the frame of the mid-bass to fit. Read this thread by @nura - it has pics. Your choice whether you want 6.5" or 4" components.

Apologies, I was wrong - Infinity doesn't make those 4" components any more. What you can get now is another great - DLS Performance C4 for $120 on Sonic Electronix, or DLS Reference R4 for $170. Shipping is free in US, according to the website. You can also check eBay and Amazon if someone is selling these at a lower price.

The greatest advantage Mono amps have over 4-channels is their current dumping ability, and monos usually have a larger power rating than the bridged power rating of 2/4 channel amps. Also, some monos can handle less than 2 ohm loads (e.g. 1ohm stable), which almost none of the regular 2/4 channels can't.

There are quite a few monos available in the local market, starting with JBL - you need to ask around. Better to buy here - it is usually a pain to carry.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Ported boxes are more efficient than sealed - that's why they go louder. Sealed are usually more accurate than ported, but not as loud.

For 6.5" components, you have to cut the inside metal of the door to allow the magnet and the part of the frame of the mid-bass to fit. Read this thread by @nura - it has pics. Your choice whether you want 6.5" or 4" components.

Apologies, I was wrong - Infinity doesn't make those 4" components any more. What you can get now is another great - DLS Performance C4 for $120 on Sonic Electronix, or DLS Reference R4 for $170. Shipping is free in US, according to the website. You can also check eBay and Amazon if someone is selling these at a lower price.

The greatest advantage Mono amps have over 4-channels is their current dumping ability, and monos usually have a larger power rating than the bridged power rating of 2/4 channel amps. Also, some monos can handle less than 2 ohm loads (e.g. 1ohm stable), which almost none of the regular 2/4 channels can't.

There are quite a few monos available in the local market, starting with JBL - you need to ask around. Better to buy here - it is usually a pain to carry.
Thanks a lot sir for taking out time and putting in your valueable inputs. :-)

So finally i have made my mind as to what i have to do with my ice setup.

I'am personally not in favour of cutting out the metal portion so i'll stick to the 4'' components.
I'll look for a decent deal on ebay/amazon
And will ask your opinion on it for sure.

The second thing i'll be doing is to get a demo of a ported box.
Most probably will be getting one soon.

As far as the mono amp is concerned i guess i'll have to convince my parents to get funds for it

So its a 4'' compo set and an iPhone 5 from the US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks