Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:24   #16

GM had it on at the auto expo

GM had a tavera fitted with the sat tv system at the Auto expo, cost was 80k more over a normal tavera.

I have worked on the SAT TV system you mentioned on Kingfisher airlines, and it needs a GPS input to get the position and heading of the aircraft,( in this case the car ) , and calculates where is it exactly, and in which direction to point the antenna to receive the signal.
Its pretty complicated for aircrafts, though they turn and bank less frequently than cars ( change in direction of travel ) because there is about a seconds lag for the antenna to respond to the change in direction and be rotated.

There are special servo motors fitted, which rotate it in azimuth and elevation to ensure that it remains pointing in the direction of the satellite.

Its possible on a miniature level for a car, but i feel its gonna be successful only on the open highways, where there are no obstructions on the sides, like tall buildings, trees etc, and the vehicle will not be doing so many direction changes as well.

Imagine if you were driving in a city, and had to change directions of travel frequently, which is normal, doing roundabouts, and u turns, and the antenna system would just get messed up tryin to align itself.

My 2 cents..

Jai
Old 24th January 2008, 10:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Forget TV, as yet even Satellite Radio (like Worldspace) is not available for cars in this country.
I thought Worldspace plays in cars??!! I remember the Worldspace shop guy telling me this and he infact also showed me one HU for that.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:16   #18
BHPian

Sat TV is now available for cars. However the price of the unit is quite high, may go down with time. More details @ Dish Tv India: Watch Live TV in Your Car anywhere in India
Old 15th December 2017, 12:41   #19
BHPian

Re: Watching SAT TV from the car?

Picking up this very very old thread to see where have we advanced on this. Kids are demanding TV in the car and it would be great to hear what both OEM/OTS and DIY solutions BHPIans have used lately.

As for me, I am in the lookout for cheapest (both initial and running cost )yet an elegant solution . Preference would obviously be towards a ready-to-install OEM solution.
Old 15th December 2017, 13:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Picking up this very very old thread to see where have we advanced on this. Kids are demanding TV in the car and it would be great to hear what both OEM/OTS and DIY solutions BHPIans have used lately.

As for me, I am in the lookout for cheapest (both initial and running cost )yet an elegant solution . Preference would obviously be towards a ready-to-install OEM solution.

Just get an IPad with a holder, wifi dongle and get Tata Sky live tv. Cheapest solution.
Old 15th December 2017, 13:59   #21
BHPian

Re: Watching SAT TV from the car?

You can opt for Android HU these days which have the capability to run TV in your car (with additional component) - its not that expensive on AliExpress and you can run a plethora of additional features in your car- acts as a one stop solution for one's ICE needs in a car.

Most Viewed