Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toe in the M34i so that their axis cross about a foot in front of you.
1 foot in front is it? How does it make a diff compared to having the axis right where you sit? I thought music sounds best when the speakers are placed in-line with the listener.

Is the axis position diff for stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc?

And where should the axis for the surround speakers be? Slightly behind the listener?

Quote:
stick the sub in the center of the 2 speakers about 2 feet form the rear wall.
Will this work with a 5.1 setup as well? If so, then the sub has to be placed between the surround speakers right?

Shan2nu
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't it be great if speakers could come with tiny lazers. This way, you could actually see where the axis is, instead of guessing it. Lazer guided speakers!!! Hehe

Shan2nu
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
1 foot in front is it? How does it make a diff compared to having the axis right where you sit? I thought music sounds best when the speakers are placed in-line with the listener.
There is no rule. I don't know about the 1 foot in front of the listener, but Navin certainly is the champ in such matters. In a lot of cases, speakers sound just fine without any toeing-in. If there is too much reflections off the side walls, then toeing-in helps.

Quote:
Quote:
Will this work with a 5.1 setup as well? If so, then the sub has to be placed between the surround speakers right?
By 'rear wall', Navin means the wall behind the speakers. i.e. the wall in front of the listener. I think you misunderstood it to be the wall behind you.
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Wouldn't it be great if speakers could come with tiny lazers. This way, you could actually see where the axis is, instead of guessing it. Lazer guided speakers!!! Hehe

Shan2nu
People do actually use laser pointers to place speakers.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
People do actually use laser pointers to place speakers.
Wow! and all I use are my ears. I wish I had laser pointers in my ears! Now that'd be something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
1 foot in front is it? How does it make a diff compared to having the axis right where you sit?

I happen to have heard the M34i (granted with different electronics) and know they are bright. By toeing them a bit more than usual you are compensating for the glare that is more obvious when you are listening on axis.

It is not diffcult to toe in for any position. Just move your chair 1 foot back after you have got the speakers toed in on axis. The toe in suggestion for for Rudra's speakers in Rudra's room with the music he listens to. Maybe I should have PMed him instead. I am sorry to have confused you, Shan2nu.

5.1/7.1 etc thrive on a diffused soundfield and delays. the same rules that apply to 2 ch stereo do not nessacarily apply to home theater.

For 5.1 etc... I always propose more than 1 sub as well as full range speakers in all of the 5/6/7 fullrange channels. Todays signals are far more sophiticated and thanks to advances in technology there is no need for compromises like there were in the days of LPs and cassette. To enjoy the effects of modern movies one needs speakers that are capable of reproducing all that is recorded.
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Wow! and all I use are my ears. I wish I had laser pointers in my ears! Now that'd be something.
Yeah. You in drag on the Brooklyn bridge with laser pointers in your ears. Sure that would be something!
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always propose more than 1 sub as well as full range speakers in all of the 5/6/7 fullrange channels.
By full range do you mean that all speakers should be of the same model and size? Coz my surround/center speakers are of the same model but they're tiny compared to the front main speakers.

This is not my room, but i have the exact same setup including sub and amp.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:47   #23
BHPian

Re: Need help understanding subwoofer controls.

Bumping up a very old thread.

I am getting a Focal Solid 4 amp for my ICE now, yet to receive it. I can see that it has an RJ45 port, and it is for remote subwoofer control. I have attached a photo of the same.

Need help understanding subwoofer controls.-solid4.jpg

I did search on TBHP and Google it, but could not find anything relevant that shows the subwoofer control unit that I can use with this. A friend of mine told me that the unit can be used to turn the sub on/off and also control the level, but beyond that even he doesn't have much idea.

Any help?
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I can see that it has an RJ45 port, and it is for remote subwoofer control.
Yes, that port is meant for the wired bass controller. I have a Focal Solid 1 (which is a mono) and the controller is connected to this port. It provides remote gain level control for the subwoofer.

This is the only info I have about this (I've begun my ICE ordeal quite recently, so still a learner ). AFAIK, the controller is only supplied with monoblocks and not 4 channels (atleast here). You could try sourcing a universal controller (Scosche has 1 but not sure if its available in India) and see how it goes.

Last edited by 97_Octane : 3rd January 2013 at 17:28.
97_Octane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Yes, that port is meant for the wired bass controller. I have a Focal Solid 1 (which is a mono) and the controller is connected to this port. It provides remote gain level control for the subwoofer.

This is the only info I have about this (I've begun my ICE ordeal quite recently, so still a learner ). AFAIK, the controller is only supplied with monoblocks and not 4 channels (atleast here). You could try sourcing a universal controller (Scosche has 1 but not sure if its available in India) and see how it goes.
Many thanks. Could you kindly post a picture of the controller that you have?
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:00   #26
BHPian

I don't have a pic of it with me. But this is the exact same one I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Need help understanding subwoofer controls.-focal20solid20420bass20control.jpg  

97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:34   #27
BHPian

Well. I have both Focal solid 1 mono amp & a Solid 4 amp as well. Got wired remotes and connecting wires with both of them ( as mentioned on the packaging box).

The remote is used to control gain levels for the subwoofer in both amps.
Will control woofer levels in Solid 4 if both the rear channels together, in mono, are connected to a subwoofer.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks