Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:14   #1

Car Audio Advice for Indica XETA

Hi. I would appreciate help on selecting speakers (rear, front door and/or dashboard) for my Indica XETA. I have a HU with the following specifications.
Sony MEX 1GP:
Overall Max Frequency Response: 20 kHz
Overall Min Frequency Response: 10 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio: 120 dB
Maximum Power Output: 52 W/channel
RMS Power Output: 17 W/channel
There are two sets of 4-volt pre-amp outputs that are selectable between the rear channels or a subwoofer. When a subwoofer is selected, a crossover and independent volume control are activated.

I do not intend to go in for a subwoofer at this point in time, maybe later. The budget is around 10k and can be stretched to 15k.
I have the following questions:
1. What would be good combination for speakers. If I go in for 6x9 oval spearkers in the rear, will it be a good idea to have door or dashboard speakers in the front ?
2. Will Blaupunkt (Blaupunkt THX 693 speakers) or JBL (JBL Car & Marine Audio) or Pioneer(5 way) be good ? (with around 70 to 100 RMS for the rear speaker).
3. Will my Sony HU support front speakers (40RMS * 2) and rear speakers (70-100 RMS * 2) or will I need to add an AMP. I am not planning to have a separate sub.
4. Do I go in for comp speakers in the front (in that case do I need an amp)
5. Please suggest a setup with model nos and price if poss.
6. Can someone also suggest a place near Andheri/Bandra (Mumbai) where I could get a good demo of the above mentioned brands.

Thanks. AAD
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:49   #2
BHPian

Please refer to this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...dica-xeta.html
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aad2007
1. What would be good combination for speakers. If I go in for 6x9 oval spearkers in the rear, will it be a good idea to have door or dashboard speakers in the front ?
Since you are not getting a sub, do install 6x9s in the rear. You will get better bass.

Quote:
2. Will Blaupunkt (Blaupunkt THX 693 speakers) or JBL (JBL Car & Marine Audio) or Pioneer(5 way) be good ? (with around 70 to 100 RMS for the rear speaker).
Amongst those three, the JBL is my favourite. I wouldn't even consider Pioneer.

Quote:
3. Will my Sony HU support front speakers (40RMS * 2) and rear speakers (70-100 RMS * 2) or will I need to add an AMP. I am not planning to have a separate sub.
The head unit will "support" the speakers, but an amp will do far better.

Quote:
Component speakers are also speakers. Will work as well as coaxes driven off the head unit. Better if used with an amp.

Quote:
6. Can someone also suggest a place near Andheri/Bandra (Mumbai) where I could get a good demo of the above mentioned brands.
There are many good stores in that area. I am not sure everyone will be able to offer a demo though. I think MA Car Studio would be able to organize a demo of JBL while Soundcraft next door to MA at Andheri itself should be able to organize for Blaupunkt (both are official dealers for the brands in concern). But call and confirm that they will give a demo.
Old 24th October 2007, 22:38   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. A few more questions please.
Q1.
With reference to the 6x9, these are the specs of the recommended two:

a. Blaupunkt THx 693
Max. power 280 watts
Nominal power 70 watts
Frequency response 40 Hz - 22,000Hz (Better?)
Sensitivity 93 dB
Nominal impedance 4 ohms

b. JBL GTO937Power Handling, RMS100 Watts (Better?)Power Handling, Peak300 Watts Frequency Response (±3dB)50Hz-21,000HzSensitivity94dBImpedance2 Ohms
My understanding is that the watts of JBL is better whereas the Frequency response of Blau is better. Just to understand a bit better, how much would the difference in Frequency Reponse affect. Also out of Sensitivity/Impedance which is better technically and how much would these 2 parameters affect.

Q2. Can you pls recommend whether to have dash or door speakers for front and the brand and approx price for that. Also whether to go in for coaxial or component ?

Q3. Can you pls recommend an amp (brand and price) and would having an amp make a big difference to sound quality ? Would an amp be like mandatory for comp spk and optional for coaxial spk ?
Old 25th October 2007, 01:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aad2007 View Post
Q1.
With reference to the 6x9, these are the specs of the recommended two:

a. Blaupunkt THx 693
b. JBL GTO937

Q2. Can you pls recommend whether to have dash or door speakers for front and the brand and approx price for that. Also whether to go in for coaxial or component ?

Q3. Can you pls recommend an amp (brand and price) and would having an amp make a big difference to sound quality ? Would an amp be like mandatory for comp spk and optional for coaxial spk ?
Q1. Out of the 2, I would recommend the JBL - not by specs, but by my experiece - they sound very good.

Q2. Not sure about the Indica dash speaker size - but you could do with a 4" component (Illusion 4.1) or you could opt for better midbass by installing a 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" in the doors. In the larger segment, you would have a lot of options like Illusion, Hertz, JBL, etc.

Q3. Your first part of the question - the JBL amplifiers are recommended for VFM. You may try the GT5 series or you can get the more expensive GTO series. The prices would be about 7.5k and 12k respectively (approx). The second part - it is not absolutely necessary, but good speakers, whether components or co-axials, sound way better with an amplifier.
Old 25th October 2007, 19:25   #6

Since indica xeta is a hatch back please do not install the 6x9 speakers at the rear. also since you are planning a subwoofer later avoid the 6x9 at the rear. the 6x9's generally need a good enclosure to produce good bass.
Old 25th October 2007, 21:15   #7

Is that correct ? I saw a lot of posts suggesting 6x9s in hatchbacks or compact cars.
Old 26th October 2007, 00:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that correct ? I saw a lot of posts suggesting 6x9s in hatchbacks or compact cars.
6X9s are not really necessary if you get a sub. It also requires an MDF tray that adds to the cost.

It is generally recommended where subwoofer cannot be accommodated due to budget/space constraints - nothing in particular to do with the size of the car. However, it would reduce the height of bootspace available in a hatch because of the tray.
Old 26th October 2007, 09:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The budget is around 10k and can be stretched to 15k.
I have the following questions:
1. ..If I go in for 6x9 oval spearkers in the rear, will it be a good idea to have door or dashboard speakers in the front ?
2. Will Blaupunkt or JBL or Pioneer(5 way) be good ? (with around 70 to 100 RMS for the rear speaker).
3. Will my Sony HU support front speakers or will I need to add an AMP. I am not planning to have a separate sub.
Quote:
My understanding is that the watts of JBL is better whereas the Frequency response of Blau is better.

Q2. Can you pls recommend whether to have dash or door speakers for front and the brand and approx price for that.

Q3. Can you pls recommend an amp (brand and price)
Quote:
I was wondering where i saw those initial before and then realised that it is the SPARS code found on many CD covers (Analog Recorder used (usually tape), Analog mixdown & editing, Digital mastering)!

Now getting back on topic...
If you are not getting a sub 6x9 will offer you a more balanced sound as they will provide more bass. You will need to change the rear deckt o one made of MDF and the hatch might not be able to lift this deck but the original fiber deck will resonate like crazy if used. Remember that adding 2 6x9 and a MDF board instead of the existing rear deck makes it heavy but it offers the 6x9 a solid platform.

In general 2-3 way speakers sound better than 4-5 way speakers, atleast to my tired ears. Do not worry abot power handling or number of "ways". It is only about the music.

Get the HU and 4 speakers as suggested by B&T. B&T also represents Illusion and hence cannot recommend them but I can! :-) I am not sure if Illusion Electra (the cheapest Illusion seris) will fit in your price range though. They are worth a listen.

Once you get the HU + 4 speakers see if you are pushing your HU past's it's half way mark if so then get an amp. If not then you are doing fine. Blaupunkt makes a good at called the GT4 for about 7K. Pio's 6300, Kenwoods 8401, JBL's GT5 are other alternates. I heard 2 of them, the 8401 seems to work harder but the GT4 sounds smoother to me.
Old 27th October 2007, 23:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I was wondering where i saw those initial before and then realised that it is the SPARS code found on many CD covers (Analog Recorder used (usually tape), Analog mixdown & editing, Digital mastering)!
My my! I think his name is Amit, and the remaining A & D would be the first alphabets of his middle and last name.

But I'll let you take a shot at what 2007 must probably stand for.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
My my! I think his name is Amit, and the remaining A & D would be the first alphabets of his middle and last name.

AAD also stands for the American Academy of Dermatology. Maybe a fellowship in 2007?
Old 29th October 2007, 09:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
now you are stressing my brain out. I have no idea.
Old 14th February 2009, 13:04   #13

Hi All,
I know this is quite a delayed response and sorry for that! I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions/advice which was really helpful. I know I started out with a small budget which has been far surpassed.
Below is the configuration that I have finally installed in my car:
HU: Sony MEX 1GP
Maximum Power Output: 52 W/channel
RMS Power Output: 17 W/channel
Two sets of 4-volt pre-amp outputs
Rear Speakers: Blaupunkt THx693
Subwoofer (yes, i went for it): GT5-12 (275 RMS, 1100 Peak Output)
Amplifier (4 channel): JBL GT5-A604
The current setup I believe has 2 ch for the Subwoofer and 2 ch for the rear speakers.
Now what I still do not have is the front speakers. Could someone please let me know if there will be a lot of difference in SQ if I use coaxial or if I use comps? Also can someone also recommend brand/model/prices for front speakers?
Also I believe that the amp can then power the subwoofer (2 ch) and the comps (2 ch) (if I decide to go in for comps) and the head unit can power the rear speakers. Pls let me know if my understanding is correct. Thanks. AAD
Old 14th February 2009, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now what I still do not have is the front speakers. Could someone please let me know if there will be a lot of difference in SQ if I use coaxial or if I use comps? Also can someone also recommend brand/model/prices for front speakers?
Also I believe that the amp can then power the subwoofer (2 ch) and the comps (2 ch) (if I decide to go in for comps) and the head unit can power the rear speakers. Pls let me know if my understanding is correct. Thanks. AAD
SInce you have Blaupunkt THx in the back, would suggest you try out Blaupunkt THc Components. yes, the amp can drive them, while the HU drives the rear coaxes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks