Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Sony 554 problem!

Hi all!

Well, i have a sony 554 in my zen(2000)mpfi, connect to my pio 12" sub and 2 pio 6X9s. I have some crappy sony 6.5s in the front which run off my kenwood dpx701 HU.

Thing is that about 3 weeks back my rear speakers and sub suddenly stopped working. They would work for about 1.5 secs and then just conk off everytime i would start the car. I went to the market at koliwada(mumbai) as it is just next to where i stay. There i was told that "aapka amp short ho raha hai" and i asked the guy to fix it as i had no warranty. The guy told me that some transistors needed to be changed and an IC needed to be changed too. Too fed up of everything going on around me i told him to do the needful. I gave him 500 bucks and he put the thing back in the car and it worked like a charm.

Now, again the same issue has cropped up only difference being that the sound comes and goes for about 1-2 secs. What could be the possible problem?

When i was getting the amp repaired i was told that this is a known problem in 554s and was even shown about 6-8 554s in his tiny workshop which had the same prob and needed to be repaired.

What went wrong?

THANKU!
Old 24th October 2007, 06:28   #2
BHPian

Hi Vidurm I am also planning to buy a SONY [COLOR=#0000ff]XM-554ZR[/COLOR] .. can you tell me how much did it cost you in grey market. The asking price here in grey market is Rs3800 (MRP on box is Rs 5990)
Old 24th October 2007, 06:30   #3
BHPian

Also can you please let me know how much did you pick up the PIO sub 12" and Pio 6*9 for as I am planning a similar setup in my Ford Ikon Flair
Old 24th October 2007, 09:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidurm View Post
They would work for about 1.5 secs..I gave him 500 bucks and he put the thing back in the car and it worked like a charm.

Now, again the same issue has cropped up only difference being that the sound comes and goes for about 1-2 secs. What could be the possible problem?
1. check all your wiring.
2. it is very diffcult for anyne to say without taking a looksie so you best trust your existing person or find someone you can.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmi View Post
Also can you please let me know how much did you pick up the PIO sub 12" and Pio 6*9 for as I am planning a similar setup in my Ford Ikon Flair
Hi Hashmi,
I have no idea about the cost of the amp or speakers. The car is actually shared between me and my roomie, and my roomie's uncle owns a car parts ka warehouse/godown like thing. so, well, you can figure out the rest
Old 24th October 2007, 10:48   #6
BHPian

Well, according to the MGA chaps, Sony "best hai, ji, best" so I'm surprised.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Vidrum check out your wiring before going to get the amp repaired.
Old 24th October 2007, 15:22   #8
BANNED

i have this same amp, since more then 1 year. i have tortured it to all extents. but it still works fine!
i hope you are not putting a 2 ohm load on it.

Most Viewed