Team-BHP - Pioneer DEH-P7950UB firmware upgrade
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Pioneer DEH-P7950UB firmware upgrade (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/30568-pioneer-deh-p7950ub-firmware-upgrade.html)

Hi
I just bought this really good HU in gray. However I did notice that the HU was "Made in China" - anyone bought this unit with Bill & Warranty? If yes do you remember where it is was made? (You can find this info on a sticker stuck on the underside of the HU.)

Also when I was playing with it at one point the volume control stopped working (all other functions were working but turning the rotary knob wouldn't do anything). I know I was in the correct mode. Finally I had to reset the HU to get it to work fine. This brings me to the point of asking is it possible to firmware upgrade the S/W on it? I googled for this information and found there is a service manual available which states firmware upgrades are possible - anyone have any idea?

---
San

That incident must have been a glitch. Otherwise, Pio HUs don't have too many problems.

What would you expect to be upgraded in the HU if firmware download were to be possible? Since the functions for which the firmware was written are not going to change, and neither is any hardware component swappable / upgradeable, one would not expect any advantage if firmware were to be upgradeable.

The "Made in China" part is not a negative factor, most mass production is outsourced to China; it would have costed at least 100% more had it been manufactured in Japan, 50% more if Singapore. If it were to be designed and manufactured (or a duplicate produced) by a Chinese company, then one would be in muddy waters.

hi,
wanted to know if your pioneer headset is bluetooth if yes how do you transfer your phone book need help regarding this. thanks sam

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansjunk (Post 608270)
Hi
I just bought this really good HU in gray. However I did notice that the HU was "Made in China" - anyone bought this unit with Bill & Warranty? If yes do you remember where it is was made? (You can find this info on a sticker stuck on the underside of the HU.)

Also when I was playing with it at one point the volume control stopped working (all other functions were working but turning the rotary knob wouldn't do anything). I know I was in the correct mode. Finally I had to reset the HU to get it to work fine. This brings me to the point of asking is it possible to firmware upgrade the S/W on it? I googled for this information and found there is a service manual available which states firmware upgrades are possible - anyone have any idea?

---
San

@DerAlte: Thanks for the information. I was a bit apprehensive seeing the "Made in China" sticker. However I wonder if an imitation can really imitate *all* the features and do it so well :)

@sameerv: This is a UB model (indicating it directly supports USB only). The models that end with BT directly supports Bluetooth. However this model (UB) is BT ready - you would need to buy a BT adaptor for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansjunk (Post 608726)
However I wonder if an imitation can really imitate *all* the features and do it so well

Nah, that would mean a direct copy. Rather difficult and uneconomical to do, what with component procurement (especially mask/factory programmable ICs) and software support needed .

Most of the "imitations" are based on older models where there are far less such problems. These "imitations" give urban markets a wide berth and appear in mofussil markets, where chances of detection are very low. Also, in most cases they are visually similar / misleading (not a precise copy), with different internals.

[@sameerv: This is a UB model (indicating it directly supports USB only). The models that end with BT directly supports Bluetooth. However this model (UB) is BT ready - you would need to buy a BT adaptor for it.[/quote]

Do you have any idea as to how much the BT adapter should cost?

Any one know how to do a one stop "pause" in this HU?

@sansjunk vbmenu_register("postmenu_608270", true); congrats on you purchase.
I have the same HU but its made in Malaysia.
I bought it in gray for 9.5K around 2 months back.
How much did you pay for it?

@sqwall: I purchased gray and paid 9.2K for it. Amazing HU. I am currently looking to hook up a 2.5" 5 Gig HDD lying around with an enclosure so I don't have to fill up my car with CDs :)

@gkrishn: Looks like you cannot pause (or do an att) from the face plate. However on the remote the PGM button does pause (for USB and CD source).

@sabertooth: I think this adaptor is hard to find and if I am not wrong costs upwards of 5 K (remember seeing this price on this forum somewhere)

for pausing, use multicontrol to select "pause" in function menu. then press multicontrol again for pausing and releasing.

Guys how do i use a USB with this HU ? do i get a cable or something and plug it to the iPod connector in the HU?

@dr_chill: It's a breeze to use USB on this HU. There is a small dongle cable at the back and they provide you an extension cable - you just plug in your USB memory stick to the end of it and your off :) Note: all this advice applies to 7950UB (UB is important since that is the only model currently in India that is USB ready).

Also if you are interested in hooking up a more greedy-for-power USB device (such as a USB enclosure containing a hard-drive) you'll be on the edge since the HU can supply max 500 mA while your enclosure demands about 500 mA so sometimes it works and sometimes not. In this case you would have to power it externally. I had this problem and sorted it out by doing some nifty wiring. If time permits I'll put up what I did on the DIY sub-forum :)

@panky12345: Yes I forgot that way coz its so cumbersome - they should at least provided a ATT button on the face plate.

Sansjunk : sorry i just found out that mine was 6950 and not 7950ub anyway i will be going to driven tomorrow and hopefully i'll get the cable thanks anyway my mistake.

If one can press a button on the faceplate, how difficult is to turn the volume knob all the way left?

Anyway, there is an option wire provided, which can mute the HU when connected. Check it out. I was thinking of adding an extra switch on the dash to enable this functionality, but never got around to it.

I got a steering remote installed, and it has a mute button. Problem Solved!!!!