Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 14:06   #1
BHPian

JBL 607c my-T1 tweeter VS infinity tweeter

Would it be a good idea to replace JBL my-T1 tweeter with infinity tweeter. the tweeters of 607c are very bright even when the equlaizer curve is set for a very low level for high frequncies. Are inifnity tweeters available in india?
Old 29th October 2007, 15:05   #2
BHPian

Why dont you try a tune job at the amp? A good tuner should be able to get you the same results (or almost) & as good as replacing the tweeter (thereby saving you a few bucks!)
Old 30th October 2007, 21:16   #3
BHPian

my two bits: components are matched for a particular crossover frequency, the infinity tweeters go down to lower frequecies (~2KHz) compared to the JBLs, so they give more depth in the sound.

You would intend to replace your crossovers now, but then, what about timbre matching? Ideally, try tuning the setup, I've found the JBLs to give a peak at about 8KHz, so if you have a Parametric EQ, cut down the 8KHz band, it should help.

And one more thing, are the tweeters firing towards the windshield? If they are, try lifting them up (firing towards you) it should help, it helped a lot in my case, thanks to evo6! If you can, try placing the tweeters on the door panel!

EDIT: just saw your signature stating that you have a 7950, I think it has a Parametric EQ, read the manual, and you will understand how it works.
Set the freq to 8KHz and start of with a 2N (narrow band) and then slowly step up to 1N, 1W and 2W, listen and decide what suits you the best!

If you still find it shrill, its time to upgrade your HU mate!

Last edited by shrivz : 30th October 2007 at 21:21.
Old 30th October 2007, 22:42   #4
BHPian

The basic difference in JBL and infinity is the material of the tweeter.

JBL are Aluminium dome. They are good if you listen more to techno, Metal, hard rock. They have a kind of sharp and loud. Its for loud music

Infinity is silk dome. Those are made up of silk cloth. They are good for listening more of trans, gazal, pop, and soft rock. You can adjust the EQ as well as crossover to make them sound good. These are for crisp lyrics.
Old 30th October 2007, 22:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
my two bits: components are matched for a particular crossover frequency, the infinity tweeters go down to lower frequecies (~2KHz) compared to the JBLs, so they give more depth in the sound.
Baap Re! Tune to full research kar daalela hai JBL ke tweeter ka.

I doubt the Infinity tweeter would play lower than the JBL or anything since it is not a Low Fs tweeter. A better quality tweeter it certainly must be. Baaki, I think the swap will almost certainly improve the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
You would intend to replace your crossovers now, but then, what about timbre matching?
Pappu installer is getting into a different league altogether! Watch out you MF Drives and what not.
Old 30th October 2007, 22:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhandelwal View Post
my-T1 tweeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
JBL are Aluminium dome.
The word you seek is My-Ti, not my-T1.

The JBL tweeters are made of a composite of Mylar and Titanium. Hence My-Ti. Not Aluminium.

Quote:
Infinity is silk dome. Those are made up of silk cloth. They are good for listening more of trans, gazal, pop, and soft rock.
Trance and ghazals need similar speakers?
Old 30th October 2007, 23:25   #7
BHPian

ohh my-T1...Yes they are tinatium.

About the silk dome, yes I have compared the sound from Aluminium and Silk dome. The silk dome is soothing and aluminium dome is harsh. So IMHO it matter although depends on the individual also. I selected infinity for the silk dome tweeters.
Old 30th October 2007, 23:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
JBL are Aluminium dome. They are good if you listen more to techno...

Infinity is silk dome.They are good for listening more of trans...
No i understand what you said, my confusion was more for the above two quotes. Why would one speaker be good for techno and the other for trance. Anyways, like you said, It is a personal preference thing.
Quote:
You can adjust the EQ as well as crossover to make them sound good.
The EQ cannot be adjusted on anything other than the HU.

On the infinity the crossover can be adjusted to 0dB and +3dB.
The same arrangement is there on the JBL GTO crossover as well.

P.S. It is not my-T1 it is My-Ti Mylar-Titanium

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th October 2007 at 23:34.
Old 30th October 2007, 23:51   #9
BHPian

Yes sir got it. Its "Ti"

But somehow, when I tried listening to soft music it looses charm on aluminium, may be resonense in some frequencies due to some properties of aluminium (just a wild guess).

I failed to understand the significance of Titanium in speaker cone or tweeter construction. Is it some marketing stuff. Titanium is for reducing weight .

The basic thing remains is the Metal and cloth material.
Old 30th October 2007, 23:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I failed to understand the significance of Titanium in speaker cone or tweeter construction. Is it some marketing stuff. Titanium is for reducing weight .
Titanium is hard and light. Reducing weight is the order of the day, especially if you are creating material that needs to vibrate 20,000 times a second.

If I look, I should be able to find Dr. Floyd Toole's paper on this. If I find it I'll post it here.
Old 31st October 2007, 00:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Baap Re! Tune to full research kar daalela hai JBL ke tweeter ka.

I doubt the Infinity tweeter would play lower than the JBL or anything since it is not a Low Fs tweeter. A better quality tweeter it certainly must be. Baaki, I think the swap will almost certainly improve the sound.
Kidhar bhai, I'm learning.. making mistakes, learning. I was told by someone that the infinities play lower. Hence I said so. I could be wrong, just to clarify my doubt, sam could you please give me the technical specs of the infinity tweeters, kappa and reference.

I am not in any different league sir
Timbre matching is required, I feel so since I've seen the difference with it, again, it could be just me!

but I still stand by my philosophy: Stick to the same brand, and if possible, the same series in that brand!

Last edited by shrivz : 31st October 2007 at 00:30.
Old 31st October 2007, 00:37   #12
BHPian

A little googling, and I stand corrected!!!

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2419.html

V/S

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4306.html

The JBLs have a freq response from 2.5KHz
The Infinities however have a freq response from 3.5KHz

ohh well, It was the other way round!

somebody please whack me for posting incorrect data!
Old 31st October 2007, 00:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
somebody please whack me for posting incorrect data!
I'm sure someone will soon send Ma(n)son around to fulfill your wish
Old 31st October 2007, 11:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhandelwal View Post
Would it be a good idea to replace JBL my-T1 tweeter with infinity tweeter. the tweeters of 607c are very bright even when the equlaizer curve is set for a very low level for high frequncies. Are inifnity tweeters available in india?
why not try relocating the tweeter? if you are somewhat handy with a sodleing iron you could pad the tweeter a bit too. It is not diffcult. you just need some nice 10W resistors.
Old 31st October 2007, 13:34   #15
Team-BHP Support

You could try the Illusion Audio tweeter that comes with the EL series of components as well the co-axial systems they sell. The tweeter has a flat response and gives out a lot of detail compared to the Infinity I used. This should work with the existing JBL XO you have. Try it out and let us know the results. I have a pair lying with me which I will test using the JBL XO's in Shrivz's car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks