Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 18:47   #1
BHPian

Audio guru's please help in fixing a amp to the OE HU of Honda Accord

Hi Gurus,

I want to connect a Sony Xplod 500W amplifer to the OE Head unit of my accord. But the system does not have any RCA outs. The details of my set up are as follows

1. Head unit: Clarion ADX5555z (OE system 45*4 watts)
2. JBL GTO 937 rear speakers (Coaxial oval)
3. JBL GTO 607C Front speakers (Component)
4. Sony Xplod 504z 500W 4 channel amplifier.

I am not using any sub woofer. I want to connect my front and rear speakers through my amp.

Since there are no RCA outs, i thought of using line level inputs (which is a option in my amp). But many of my friends and my electrician tell that there will be a humming noise if i use line level input. Also the quality of sound will not be good.

Then i thought of using
[COLOR=#800080]SPEAKER /LINE LEVEL to RCA CONVERTER -ADJUSTABLE OUTPUT[/COLOR] from Scosche. But it is not available in india. I want to know whether we get Speaker /line level to RCA converter in india. If yes, where in Bangalore??

If i use this will there be no hissing noise and will the quaility of output be good.

Now my next question is, does my honda accord has remote turn on. If yes how do i find it out. There is no blue color wire in my car. I can see red for 12V and Black for ground. If there is no remote trun on what are the other alternatives??

Please help me in this
Old 5th November 2007, 23:26   #2
BHPian

As long as you use good quality cabling, I can assure you there will be ZERO humming noise that your friends warn you about.

Basic flaw is that nobody pays any attention to quality. Everyone is looking for basic functioning at cheapest possible cost. That is why you have to compromise on most fronts.
Other problems in non availability of good products at most places. Just MOST of the people giving out advices (this includes your friends and the electrician) have never heard of a decent system worth it's salt.

Hope you understand the point.

Offtopic:- I didnt want to say this, but aww what the hell. Dear mate power_slave. Did you have this Sony lying around unused and you are going to put it to some use?
OR
You brought this amp to use in an expensive, upmarket car like the Accord? Did the same "friends" or "electrician" guide you for this purchase?
Old 6th November 2007, 00:52   #3
BHPian

Humming in an Accord is actually a Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
As long as you use good quality cabling, I can assure you there will be ZERO humming noise that your friends warn you about.
humming can be for various reasons and having good wires is not a solution for them.
parallel ground wiring creating different resistances could be one. signal interference could be another. cabling the power and RC wire together through the same side could be the third... and so and and so forth.

Quote:
Basic flaw is that nobody pays any attention to quality. Everyone is looking for basic functioning at cheapest possible cost. That is why you have to compromise on most fronts.
to begin with, if one knows what one doesn't know, one doesn't go around changing OE of an ACCORD.

It's one sweet car with Alpine as OE. And you wouldn't imagine the automation in it. In the US ACCORD, the alternator is computerised, it activates only if and when the battery needs a charge, and cuts off on long drives reducing the load on the engine, enhancing life of components and mileage. Besides this, I'm sure you must know that automakers make use of several technologies, especially in hi-end cars. There's a noise cancellation funda, a fabric/leather/carpet sound absorption funda etc etc.

Cost is another learning in life. Saving cost, one does pay a price at the end of the day. And a 'heavy' one at that. From simply losing the car's warranty to risking your life in it.

Quote:
Other problems in non availability of good products at most places. Just MOST of the people giving out advices (this includes your friends and the electrician) have never heard of a decent system worth it's salt.
While goods and ace-installers may not be easy to find, it doesn't mean they can't be sourced or they don't exist. I see your point though, in a positive light, lucky for you. For I've known people spending a lakh on their car with no clue on what goes inside.

Quote:
Hope you understand the point.

Offtopic:- I didnt want to say this, but aww what the hell. Dear mate power_slave. Did you have this Sony lying around unused and you are going to put it to some use?
OR
You brought this amp to use in an expensive, upmarket car like the Accord? Did the same "friends" or "electrician" guide you for this purchase?
Well, people do have their reasons don't they! From mediocrity, to laziness to being misers, to being gifted an Accord and not having the money to buy a good amp... the poor rich kid like Sam said in one of his posts! No offense meant my friend. I recommend you save for a better day. And ScarySkulls is scared of whoever advised you into doing what you are doing. Me thinks the gurus would know someone in Ludhiana and you might just see light.

Here's to the title.
Old 6th November 2007, 01:51   #4
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

ah mistake. scary skulls is from ludhiana, sorry. power slave, in a place like bangy there is no dearth of experts. you could try PFM for one by Deepak Asrani. and the other day i saw a polk setup somewhere here on this forum by someone called anwar in bangy. gunbir and navin have posted a Blau 4 & 5 channel amp which takes speaker level inputs. swap that for your sony. guess that will solve your problem. gee, i seem to have drifted completely elsewhere, that Accord kinda hurt.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2011 at 13:17. Reason: Do NOT use ABUSIVE language on this forum
montyguru is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th November 2007, 06:38   #5
BHPian

Hi montyguru and ScarySkulls,

Thanks for the quick reply. This sony Xplod XM-504Z was removed from my previous car. It was lying at home, so me thought why waste it.

My OE head unit is not able to power the JBL speakers. The nominal handling power of the JBL speakers are 70W RMS and my system nominal handling power is 20W RMS. So i thought of providing some more power to the speakers. The sony amp has a nominal handling power of 50W RMS.
Old 6th November 2007, 13:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
humming can be for various reasons and having good wires is not a solution for them.
parallel ground wiring creating different resistances could be one. signal interference could be another. cabling the power and RC wire together through the same side could be the third... and so and and so forth.
Thanks for the additions mate.
I posted assuming basics of wiring are correct since he has many people to consult to.
Things like wiring, installations tips can be had easily on net.
E.g. Installation Videos

Most people do their homework first and if there is still a problem, they turn to look for help in forums.
Things like availability of good equipment in your area OR your trusted shop is THE BIGGEST difficulty.
And hence my post.

I'll make it a point to write my assumptions too in future. As of now, thanks for covering me up
Old 6th November 2007, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Can you please update me the model number of the Blau amp. I would preferably buy a 5 channel amp.

FYI i had taken my car to Anwar only and it was he who suggested not to use the line level inputs . He told me to source scosche SLC-4 line level to RCA convertor. But in Bangalore it is not available or i am not trying in the right place. So wanted to know if any one can help me in sourcing the Scosche SLC-4.
Old 6th November 2007, 14:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
to begin with, if one knows what one doesn't know, one doesn't go around changing OE of an ACCORD.
Are you stating that it isnt a good idea to change OE system?
Please correct me if I interpreted it wrong.

Quote:
In the US ACCORD, the alternator is computerised, it activates only if and when the battery needs a charge, and cuts off on long drives reducing the load on the engine, enhancing life of components and mileage.
Had no idea about this. Thanks!

Quote:
I'm sure you must know that automakers make use of several technologies, especially in hi-end cars. There's a noise cancellation funda, a fabric/leather/carpet sound absorption funda etc etc.
Yes. And that's good enough for most customers.
No idea about US Accord, but Indian Accord OE system is sure is good enough for most people. But only that. Not smile inducing.

Quote:
Cost is another learning in life. Saving cost, one does pay a price at the end of the day. And a 'heavy' one at that. From simply losing the car's warranty to risking your life in it.
Amen!

Quote:
While goods and ace-installers may not be easy to find, it doesn't mean they can't be sourced or they don't exist. I see your point though, in a positive light, lucky for you. For I've known people spending a lakh on their car with no clue on what goes inside.
Ofcourse. If one is determined enough and plans well, then everything can be sourced.
Point is, how many know the difference between ok, good and very good? And hence they end up going to wrong places.
This thread is worth a look. Surely. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...-installs.html

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 6th November 2007 at 14:25.
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:54   #9
BHPian

Upgrade To Stock Accord Music System

I have recently picked up a used Accord (2006), which has the original stock music setup. I am looking to make changes here, as the output is nowhere close to what I’d like.

What I am looking for:

1 – Moderate costs (no going over the top)

2 – Good clear output

3 – Decently loud (no intent to be heard two blocks away though)

In my OHC I have a Pioneer Head Unit (DEH-2050MPG), 2 Pioneer coaxial speakers (TS-G622) in the front doors, and 2 JBL speakers (GTO Series – Maybe GTO937) in the rear. I’ve had it for about 2 years now and am
quite happy with it.

For the Accord I am looking to go a little higher; considering Component speakers, maybe a sub-woofer, and an amp as required. Please give me some direction and suggestions here. Thanks. I reside in Chennai and thus need to be able to get the work done here.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Re: Audio guru's please help in fixing a amp to the OE HU of Honda Accord

The following is the reply to the question sent by virtualdanger to me as for some wierd reason he cannot receive PM from me.

I think your Brake problem can be related to Two things. First could be that there is small amount of air in the braking system that can be fixed by bleeding.
Bleeding the brakes will take the air out of the system. Check the pedal when he is doing the bleeding and tell him to stop once you feel comfortable. Do remember to keep the engine on while doing bleeding.

The Second problem could be that there is play in your brake pedal. I have never driven the OHC so I cannot say how much play the pedal should have.

Thirdly check your tyres. If your tyres are old then they will have less braking ability.

There are also times that you have to live through some of the small problems and adjust your driving style to it. I also like the brakes to be Super Sharp but do not like to lock the wheels as it makes you look stupid in traffic.

btw Do not always rush to get things changed as you end up losing money. I always try to first identify the problem.

Please reply back and maybe I will have some more ideas till then.

btw I always have looked for quality of music instead of loudness. I have personally seen that having 10 speakers really does not make that much of a difference as the system is very expensive just look for some good quality manufacturer like Blaupankt.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed