Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 18:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
When connecting an Ipod to a USB inout, be warned. It may not work.
An iPod does not use the simple FAT32 or FAT16 format present on USB memory devices. A device that can read the information off an iPod from a USB has to have a special software to be able to do that.
To successfully read an iPod, you will probably need an iPod specific data cable.
Simple using the cable that you use to update your iPod, plugged into the USB of your car stereo may not give you what you want.
One small correction :

Ipods use the FAT32 system. I have a 4gb mini and I know it for a fact. You can use it as a mass storage drive ( read : like a pen drive ) and I have used it like this many times to carry data from my college comp to my home.

However, it is futile to use an Ipod in this way, the reason being the way the files are organized.
Ipods use xml indices to store the file info and then store the actual mp3 files with weird names hidden inside multiple directories. So, it is going to be very difficult to find any song at all.
Old 7th November 2007, 19:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
One small correction :

Ipods use the FAT32 system. .
If formatted using a PC. Mine is formatted in Mac OS.
Old 7th November 2007, 19:34   #33
BHPian

Completely skipped my mind. Yes, the mac formatted ones use the mac file format. That's why apple clearly mentions not to use a mac formatted ipod on a windows machine and vice versa

I wonder what will happen if we connect a mac formatted ipod directly to the usb Is there any chance of it getting corrupted ?

Last edited by akg7091 : 7th November 2007 at 19:36.
Old 7th November 2007, 20:01   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
I wonder what will happen if we connect a mac formatted ipod directly to the usb Is there any chance of it getting corrupted ?
If you connect it to a HU with a USB input? Nothing happens, only the iPod charges.
Old 11th November 2007, 11:37   #35
BHPian

iPod is not generic - but it's made so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ditto. I hate people who blast (and I use that term loosely) ****ty music on their cell phones in public places. I wish I could have some excuse, like medical insanity, to go around breaking their phones.

And I know that iPod is a very specific and trademarked term. Most people don't and refer to any manner of DAP as an 'iPod' and that's what I was wondering was meant by Danny or not.
iPod i pretty much know is not a generic name for a MP3 player or a PMP, but these days every player is called so, also when there are better players than the iPod people prefer to call every radio an iPod!

Well it is hard to explain people a Rio or iRiver or a Creative Zen or an Archos player is! So i prefer to just say iPod, and hey sure i do not have an iPod! I hate iPods! I prefer a better player with better damn good features. Check out Archos and some Creative PMPs - you would agree!
Old 12th November 2007, 00:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
iPod i pretty much know is not a generic name for a MP3 player or a PMP, but these days every player is called so, also when there are better players than the iPod people prefer to call every radio an iPod!

Well it is hard to explain people a Rio or iRiver or a Creative Zen or an Archos player is! So i prefer to just say iPod, and hey sure i do not have an iPod! I hate iPods! I prefer a better player with better damn good features. Check out Archos and some Creative PMPs - you would agree!

that's the FMA (First Mover Advantage). you don't create brands, you create categories.

"cadbury" = dairy milk chocolate, "bisleri" = packaged mineral water, "goodknight" = mosquito mat, "kachua" = mosquito coil. "iPod" = mp3 player. the beauty of it is people come and say "mortein ka kachua dena". i'm sure you can tell them "yeh archos ka iPod hai" and they would understand. ;-)
Old 12th November 2007, 02:16   #37
BHPian

Can't stop laughing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post

that's the FMA (First Mover Advantage). you don't create brands, you create categories.

"cadbury" = dairy milk chocolate, "bisleri" = packaged mineral water, "goodknight" = mosquito mat, "kachua" = mosquito coil. "iPod" = mp3 player. the beauty of it is people come and say "mortein ka kachua dena". i'm sure you can tell them "yeh archos ka iPod hai" and they would understand. ;-)
You missed the best of all! = XEROX = photo copy!!
Old 12th November 2007, 09:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Ipod+amplifier+speakers will work fine.
If all your music is on IPOD, this is your best solution. Why waste money on a HU!
Old 12th November 2007, 13:09   #39
BHPian

And the "bestest" of all: WALKMAN
...as in "I have a Philips walkman"
Excuse me for being
Old 20th December 2007, 18:13   #40
NIP
Senior - BHPian

OT: how about 'XEROX IN ALL LANGUAGES' !
Old 20th December 2007, 18:45   #41
BHPian

Is it possible to use the Bluetooth usb stick in car HU and make use of the BT capability?
Old 20th December 2007, 23:06   #42
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
It would be neater and cooler to use an FM transmitter, but you'd probably lose 2hrs of playtime from your 10 hr Ipod(battery drain by FM transmitter-can be remedied by ipod car charger)

Its cheaper to get a 3.5 mm connected to the aux input(if you have aux input on your HU and the sound quality seems better too

OR

get the stereo mechanic to solder 3.5 mm to the input from the AM antenna which none of us use anyway. cost me Rs 300 (my sony HU didnt have an aux input) The soldering according to the stereo techie, is delicate work and can be unreliable if not done properly

Some stereos dont have an aux input in front, but have inputs inside the housing (most of the pioneer MP3 models) and dont need any extensive work

Like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the only drawback to this method is that u need to change songs and playlists on the ipod

I dont mind cos i have special playlists for each drive

Highways- classic rock and metal
City and heavy, slow moving frustrating traffic-coldplay,gomez and the like
travelling with relatives- regional language playlists in hindi tamil and malayalm

DIY USB input into your HU??? way out of my league!

I was looking at if someone in Bangalore has got that done. I want the same for my OEM Sony Cassette player.
i posted the query in another thread but got no response :-(
Old 20th August 2008, 21:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
And the "bestest" of all: WALKMAN
...as in "I have a Philips walkman"
Excuse me for being

Mods,sorry for being off-topic and I dont know whether this will amount to spam,but couldn't stop myself from adding this->'Band-Aid' = Adhesive medicated tapes!
Old 28th October 2008, 14:03   #44
BHPian

USB drive in a cassette player

Hi BHPians,

I recently bought a second hand Santro Xing which contains only a cassette player, not a CD player. Is it possible to install a USB plug/port into my existing system so that I can by-pass the CD/DVD player thing and directly listen to songs from my USB drive.
Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2008 at 14:29. Reason: Search please
Old 17th November 2008, 07:48   #45
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Iam not sure if you guys know this, There is a Cassette available which has a 3.5mm input jack. It looks like a normal cassette but its has no tape in it. I dont know the technicality of it.
Wel to get to the point, if you have an ipod or any MP3 Player for that matter and with a 3.5mm jack input all you have to to do is connect the cassette to the mp3 player and insert the cassette into the headunit and walla its done.
Just play the songs that you wish through the mp3 player and your cars speakers are sounding music.

And the cost is like 200 to 300rs max, they call it the Cassette Adapter (chennai-Richie Street).

One of my friend is using it and it works fine (just make sure you go to a good shop and get that).

Most Viewed