Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Amplifier - 2Ch or 4Ch?

Is there anyone here who has a ICE setup with just a 2Ch Amp and a pair of speakers? (i.e. only front or rear speakers, not both)

Due to my limited budget I am initially probably going to install just an amp, front components (and maybe or maybe not, a HU) in my Zen Estilo.

99% of the time I am driving myself and maximum have one passenger, that too in the front, which is why I am leaning towards spending more on getting good front components rather than 4 average coaxials.

But at the same time, I don't want to regret this setup, so I would appreciate your input on the following questions:
  1. If I was to only get a 2Ch amp and front components now, and in the future, if the requirement be so, upgrade to a cheap HU (say a Pioneer 2000 or 4000 series HU) and coaxials for the rear, how would the sound be? (as in front components amped but rear coaxials not)
  2. Would front components give me any thump at all? I don't need the boom-boom of a sub, but I do want to feel the dhug-dhug of the bass drum (I hope that makes sense ). I don't care about volume as much as I care for my rapidly deteriorating hearing, so I want clear bass, but it doesn't need to be loud.
  3. Am I correct in the assumption that adding a basic but decent sub would be Rs. 10K+ (sub, enclosure, amp, wiring, - and damping would be essential too, right)?
  4. Is it fair to say that a 2Ch amp should cost 60% (give or take) of its 4Ch variant? (Note: I want to go with B&W as far as possible).
  5. Do all amps (/brands) add volume and SQ to a sound setup or are some restricted to just adding volume? (In the latter case which brands are these because I shouldn't buy them).
Old 6th November 2007, 15:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal
If I was to only get a 2Ch amp and front components now, and in the future, if the requirement be so, upgrade to a cheap HU (say a Pioneer 2000 or 4000 series HU) and coaxials for the rear, how would the sound be? (as in front components amped but rear coaxials not)
It depends upon where you want the sound to be more clear. Most of the "gurus" here, suggest to power up the front speakers with amplifier and rear speakers with HU. This enables more clarity in the front. As you mentioned that, you drive most of the times, so this option suits for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal
Do all amps (/brands) add volume and SQ to a sound setup or are some restricted to just adding volume? (In the latter case which brands are these because I shouldn't buy them).
I feel that SQ or SPL depends upon tuning of amplifier, rather than the amplifier itself.

"gurus", please rectify me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Krato : 6th November 2007 at 15:37.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Good, but get a pair of good 6X9s if you don't get a sub for yourself.

2. If what I understand from your post about the bass is right, then you'll find it to be too flat and inadequate.

3. Excluding damping, around 10k will get you a sub and a 2-channel - why would you want to add a 2-channel now and another 2-channel later? You can wait and straightaway get a 4-channel. It would be much more VFM that way.

Another way is to get a 2-channel now and get a good 4-channel later. The 2-channel can be used to drive the co-axials later on.

4. Not too sure, but kinda yes.

5. Most of them. It is better to avoid Sony amplifiers.

veb, why don't you get a pair of components, a pair of 6X9s and a 2-channel now. That would suffice your bass requirement IMO.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 6th November 2007 at 15:38.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:52   #4
BHPian

2 ch vs 4 ch

@Vebmetal,

I too faced this dilemma when i first began my ICE journey. Trust me it makes much more sense to wait and go in for a 4 ch amp over a 2 ch. Electronics do not have any resale value and the marginal increase in price that you pay for a 4 ch is well worth the peace of mind.

My two cents,

Wait for a few weeks for the launch of Jbl's GT5 range of Amps, you should be able to get something that fits your budget.
Then, you can go in for GT5 ovals and GT5 compos and run them off the 4 ch amp.

Guru's correct me if i am wrong.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi I would suggest that you get the following setup:

- Get agood HU with 3 pre outs
- Get a pair of front Componants, (trust me many of my friends are happy with just these as not every one is fond of loud music.)
- If you have money left geta pair of 6X9 at rear

The pio 75, & 7 series HUs allow the rear speakers to be used as Sub & 6X9 will do a fair job..

Later when you have moolah you can add amp & sub as per your budget.

If you must have an amp then HU(with pre outs since you want amp) + Comps + 2 ch amp

hope this helps
Old 6th November 2007, 16:59   #6
BHPian

Thanks all. Two problems:

a) I don't want to get 6x9s primarily because I value the boot space of my car, and don't want to fit a MDF board there. The rear provisions in the car is AFAIK officially 4" but others such as Krato have got 6.5" speakers in there with no major problem. So if anything, I would want to just put speakers there.

b) If adding a sub means 10k without damping then it puts it way out of my budget currently and in the forseeable future.

So am I basically screwed and without options?

p.s.: I do have the option of ordering stuff from abroad via relatives, so pls keep that in mind too.

Also, how does a setup with only front (amplified) components and a sub sound?

Last edited by vebmetal : 6th November 2007 at 17:06.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can have the 6X9s installed on rear door panel witah wooden plank. I have heard such setup in Wagon R & it sounded great.

I would suggest go for it one by one som that every new addition will be valuable & you can enjoy the difference.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

@veb, IMO gurus would be able to advise better if you mentioned your current budget.
Old 6th November 2007, 18:40   #9
BHPian

The budget is always in flux. Let's just say that my parents would be happy if I limited it to 10K but considering this is Team-BHP, I think it would be stretched to 15K. (i.e. 15K MAX for amp, components + everything else including wiring etc. - and if you can figure a HU with an Aux-In in there, I'll buy you dinner )
Old 6th November 2007, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
and if you can figure a HU with an Aux-In in there, I'll buy you dinner )
I suggest you put a ceiling on how much you will spend for dinner because otherwise v1p3r might come along and claim the prize. Paisa vasool in that case
Old 6th November 2007, 22:36   #11
BHPian

econo front seat ICE setup.

A. take a HU

(i) cassette HU (2-3k)
(ii) CD-MP3 HU (4k onwards)
(iii) CD-MP3 + USB HU (5.5k onwards)

Option 1.

B. take a 2-channel Amp (i guess 4k onwards)

C. take front components (since you drive yourself). (5.5k onwards)

D. take a pre-mono amplified base tube like audiobahn/soomoku, base box like soomoku. (6.5k onwards)

(cheaper, not for loud bass, great tonal qualities for the price)

OR

Option 2.

B. take a 4-channel Amp (i guess 6-7k onwards)

C. use two channels to drive front components (since you drive yourself). (5.5k onwards)

D. bridge two channels to drive a sub. (3k onwards)

(slightly more expensive, more bass)
Old 6th November 2007, 22:58   #12
BHPian

Veb Metal - An amp and front components should do you jsut fine .. although try to get 6.5 inchers as a larger midbass driver could get you soem extra bass. SUB+SUB amp you could do later as part of an upgrade.
6x9 really make no sense to me.if you are driving,front components should be adequate.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
"gurus", please rectify me if I am wrong.
You sure, @krato? Think many times: it is an irreversible change.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:12   #14
BHPian

System @ 15k

Pioneer DEH-4950MP
-CD/MP3/WMA player
-MOSFET 50Wx4 amplifier
-3 sets pre amp output : Front + Rear + Sub
-Direct Head unit subwoofer control
-Detachable Face plate(security feature)
-3 Band Parametric equalizer
-AUX input
-IP Bus control
-Supertuner III D
-Comes in full set with remote control!

@ Vebmetal,

This Head Unit is priced at 5K in the Grey market.

Next, your front speakers, try JBL GTO Or GT5 Components. Another option is Helix components. Don't know if anyone's heard of them, but i'm using them and am pretty much happy with them.

These sould cost you around 4.5 to 5K

The remaining 5k spend it on a Blaupunkt Gt series 4 channel amp.

If you pick all the above components from the same vendor, you could get a further discount which could be spent on wiring and RCA's.

If that doesn't come through, then budget 1.5k for the same. There, in keeping with the ICE tradition, i've managed to possibly stretch your budget .

Cheers pal.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:16   #15
BHPian

sk456, there'd be a world of a difference between your components and what I can afford! But from what I understood, you have been upgrading your system gradually, right? So what were the first components you got, and what was your experience with them?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks