Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 23:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Veb give us a budget first.
Quote:
"gurus", please rectify me if I am wrong.
I'd rather not. I'm not too fond of correction via rectum.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:21   #17
BHPian

I Did give a budget!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
The budget is always in flux. Let's just say that my parents would be happy if I limited it to 10K but considering this is Team-BHP, I think it would be stretched to 15K. (i.e. 15K MAX for amp, components + everything else including wiring etc. - and if you can figure a HU with an Aux-In in there, I'll buy you dinner )
Old 6th November 2007, 23:23   #18
BANNED

2ch or 4ch amplifier

go in for the 4 ch amp, this will more or less cost you the same.

using a 4ch amp now would give you an opportunity in the future to add on further, may be a sub or 2 more speakers at rear with a sub.

think twice before you make any investment.
Old 7th November 2007, 02:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
sk456, there'd be a world of a difference between your components and what I can afford! But from what I understood, you have been upgrading your system gradually, right? So what were the first components you got, and what was your experience with them?

Thanks!
hi vebmetal..

well here goes:
Phase 1 ( Pre team bhp ) - had never heard of a component speaker ):

Infinity 6x9 ( installed in a box at back )
JBL 4 inch fronts
Blau HU
No amp
No sub
-- why i went searching for an upgrade..becasue i was sure I could do better..even after spendng 27K ( after spending which i sweated for a week )-- and i hated it after a week.

phase 2

hertz 3 ways ESK's ( replaced the jbl 4 ichers )
(gifted my 6 x9 away..as they realy messed everythign up)
Pio 6150 amp
--and i felt as if iwas in heaven

Phase 3
added a sub IDQ10
-That was i thought as far i wud ever go with ICE....

Phase 4
HU got stolen ,,so got me a KCD 01

Phase 5
well tht u know......

I hope theres no phase 6
Old 7th November 2007, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Thanks, sk456!! The DSK-165s (6.5") are more in my budget, rather than the ESKs, so do you think with those I would also get a good sound in terms of my requirement for some dhug / thump?

Also, would love some more response from everyone on the other questions:
  1. How would the sound be if I have front components amped but rear coaxials driven from a (basic) HU?
  2. Am I correct in the assumption that adding a basic but decent sub would be Rs. 10K+ (sub, enclosure, amp, wiring, - and damping would be essential too, right)?
  3. Is it fair to say that a 2Ch amp should cost 60% (give or take) of its 4Ch variant? (Note: I want to go with B&W as far as possible).
  4. Do all amps (/brands) add volume and SQ to a sound setup or are some restricted to just adding volume? (In the latter case which brands are these because I shouldn't buy them).
  5. How does a setup with only front (amplified) components and a sub sound (i.e. all running off a 4Ch amp)?
Old 7th November 2007, 16:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, sk456!! The DSK-165s (6.5") are more in my budget, rather than the ESKs, so do you think with those I would also get a good sound in terms of my requirement for some dhug / thump?

Also, would love some more response from everyone on the other questions:
  1. How would the sound be if I have front components amped but rear coaxials driven from a (basic) HU?
  2. Am I correct in the assumption that adding a basic but decent sub would be Rs. 10K+ (sub, enclosure, amp, wiring, - and damping would be essential too, right)?
  3. Is it fair to say that a 2Ch amp should cost 60% (give or take) of its 4Ch variant? (Note: I want to go with B&W as far as possible).
  4. Do all amps (/brands) add volume and SQ to a sound setup or are some restricted to just adding volume? (In the latter case which brands are these because I shouldn't buy them).
  5. How does a setup with only front (amplified) components and a sub sound (i.e. all running off a 4Ch amp)?
veb-
To answer your question about the thump-- you wont get the "subwoofer" type thump from a component speaker - if thats what you are looking for.. but you can get pretty good bass nevertheless.. cant comment abt the dsk's cause i dotn remeber hearign them...I may have in soemones car or teh other but cannot recall hearing them...Gunman /jb will be better able to guide you there.

1. a rear fill is really not needed... unless you have people at the back..even then IMO the front soundstage would suffice.

I cannot answer for points 2 & 3 as I am bad with prices bu for point 2 yes 10K should be a decent ball park figure one should take for a good set up.

4. Amps do in general add SQ as well as volume. Good speakers start sounding nicer at higher volumes..Avoid the Sony amps... pio,Kenwood,jbl all make decent amps and are good vfm.

5. 4 ch amp+ front comps+sub is the way to go....go for it ..
Old 7th November 2007, 16:10   #22
BHPian

4 ch amp+ front comps+sub it is!!

Can anyone else comment on whether I would need damping for my Zen Estilo in case I put a sub in it? If so, that's another 3-4K, right?

Also, subs seem to be cheaper in the states - if I get one from there, how much more would I have to spend on getting an enclosure?
Old 7th November 2007, 17:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 ch amp+ front comps+sub it is!!

Can anyone else comment on whether I would need damping for my Zen Estilo in case I put a sub in it? If so, that's another 3-4K, right?
You seem to be already at double your budget

Quote:
how much more would I have to spend on getting an enclosure?
Probably within 2K.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:18   #24
BHPian

^ double the budget - yes, unfortunately, but am whittling it down (i.e. by going for cheaper components / amps). As for the sub, I think I may be able to have someone get one for me from outside - there is a very wide variety of 10" and 12" subs (with very good reviews) between $70 and $90. (Will start a different thread for that )

But let's say, hypothetically, I went for the new JBL GT5 components (650C) and hooked up a JBL GT5 amp (A604) - would that also be able to sufficiently power a 12" sub?

And question still remains - does installing a Sub mean that you have to definitely get damping done, or does it depend on the car? If so, would an Estilo need it? And how much would said damping cost?
Old 9th November 2007, 08:35   #25
naj
BHPian

2 amp sytem in ikon 1.6

Good day to all t-bhp members.
I have a 2 ch amp fitted in my Ikon 1.6.
I have a 1.6 Exi and had a cassette HU as standard and had factory fitted 4 speaker as OEM at the time of purchase.
Last Nov I decided to upgrade to a USB MP3 HU and had a desire to fit a amp too.I did not have a budget in mind (was willing to spend ) but did a little market research and found out that with around bet 15 k and 20 k one can get the best,provided where you buy the system and the technical know-how/awareness of the retailer.
I went to Kirti car decor in Pune.And had a fruitful discussion with him.He asked me what I want.I told him - I want a good HU with good sound clarity,I want music for people inside the car and not outside,I want bass punch on demand as I mostly listen to rock/metal,I am a family man not a college freak.
He told me that if I went for a 4 channel system with more amplified wattage ,I will have to change the speakers to component speakers and they are costly.
For my requirements he suggested me to go for a 2 channel amp for rear speakers and have non amped existing front speakers.I went in for a jvc usb HU and a JVC amp.He wanted me to change the rear speakers to component speakers but I decided against it and I will change if they go for a toss.And touch wood they havent.
The advantage I have got is when I listen to Rock,mostly I put the fwd spks in use and the rear speakers take the necessary bass.sometimes when I am in the mood for some trance I keep all the 4 speakers in use at zero settings.Aditionally can Use the controls of the HU to manipulate the bass/tebble.And the result of this ia a amazing sound output,clear and punchy when required.I was apprehensive of the JVC setup as there are other very good brands available,but the retailer assured me of good performance and gave a demo by changing with different brand HU and amps.
The HU cost me 8500/2 ch amp 2500 /wires and fuses 150....This was Nov 2006.I am happy
I have booked a i10 and will be delivered on 13 Nov 2007.will be going to kirti again for a HU.
Can any one guide me on what set up I should I go in for this time.
Naj
Old 9th November 2007, 09:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But let's say, hypothetically, I went for the new JBL GT5 components (650C) and hooked up a JBL GT5 amp (A604) - would that also be able to sufficiently power a 12" sub?

And question still remains - does installing a Sub mean that you have to definitely get damping done, or does it depend on the car? If so, would an Estilo need it? And how much would said damping cost?
The GT5 4-channel would be able to power a 12", but IMO would be underpowered to sufficiently power it.

If you can afford it at the initial stage or if you find some rattling, please get some damping done. I've seen the interiors of the Estilo, I think damping would be necessary.

veb, there is a separate thread on damping here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...er-thread.html
Old 9th November 2007, 12:55   #27
BHPian

By sufficiently power it, do you mean with regard to SQ or SPL? Because loudness is not a requirement of mine. I just like the sound to be wholesome, and that's why I need the bass. I don't want to throw a party in my car

For the last 2 months I have been driving around without an ICE system, and I am aching to get one because even the faintest of creak or rattle is becoming audible to me, and I want to hear music not creak and rattles. It would be damn ironic if getting an ICE would lead to more creaks and rattles!!

How much can I anticipate damping to cost me for the minimum job required?
Old 9th November 2007, 18:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
As for the sub, I think I may be able to have someone get one for me from outside - there is a very wide variety of 10" and 12" subs (with very good reviews) between $70 and $90. (Will start a different thread for that )
Keeping put to the title of the thread, while you are at it, also get an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amp like a 500a2 (250x2). They go for $100 on eBay, and have loads of power. Their (2 ch Punch) reputation as sub-amps are excellent.

Quote:
A sub like GT5-12 or 12xx is rated 200-250w RMS, but some manufacturers like Infinity (same family, alright) say 50-250w RMS. So bridged channels of a 60.4 (120w RMS on paper) can power the sub, but just enough to make them move. To get decent juice out of such an equation, you probably will have to go for an IB install than boxes (ported or sealed).

Quote:
I have booked a i10 and will be delivered on 13 Nov 2007.will be going to kirti again for a HU. Can any one guide me on what set up I should I go in for this time. Naj
Naj, check the mother of all ICE threads called "Audio Advice from Gurus..." This is a wrong place to pop this question :-)
Old 9th November 2007, 18:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Keeping put to the title of the thread, while you are at it, also get an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch amp like a 500a2 (250x2). They go for $100 on eBay, and have loads of power. Their (2 ch Punch) reputation as sub-amps are excellent.
I don't want to buy a separate amp for the sub. I want to get a 4Ch amp to power the components, and power the sub. Will the GT5 do that?
Old 9th November 2007, 19:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to buy a separate amp for the sub. I want to get a 4Ch amp to power the components, and power the sub. Will the GT5 do that?
since you don't wanna throw a party in your car, why don't you go for a pre-monoblock-amplified sub or tube? have you checked it out? this will help you save money and invest in better front components cause i guess you aren't looking for that boom boom, as also save you the trouble of MDF plate etc.

it's better to ignore damping given your budget, unless you plan to upgrade your car at a future date.

i know a friend who's got BA front comps + rear sub and wld be glad to show off but his system is on a cassette player since the gentleman is senior and mostly has a cassette collection. it's a very basic setup...

Most Viewed