Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 01:35   #1
BHPian

The Amplifier Cable Thread

Could the Gurus / ICE enthusiasts here please post which brands of amplifier cabling (power, ground, RCAs etc.) are well recommended (i.e. VFM), and which brands one should absolutely avoid? (Prices would be nice too! ).

I know that this information may be available in bits and pieces throughout threads in the ICE section, but I think ICE novices such as myself would find it very useful to have this information consolidated in one thread.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Most here would you these brands: Monster Cable, Connection Audison, Scosche, Tsunami, Stinger, Streetwires. These are all available in India.

Avoid: Boss, Fakes of JBL, Sony etc.
Old 9th November 2007, 11:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you wanna go for VFM option use finolex, L&T (safe & sure) for the power cable as it will cost you 6-8 cheaper than the branded car audio power cable.

For speaker and RCA go for branded as they are sold separate packs also.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
If you wanna go for VFM option use finolex, L&T (safe & sure) for the power cable as it will cost you 6-8 cheaper than the branded car audio power cable.

For speaker and RCA go for branded as they are sold separate packs also.
Correct! LBM himself uses 0 gauge i think for his high powered setup, costing near 150 rs./m
Old 9th November 2007, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Correct! LBM himself uses 0 gauge i think for his high powered setup, costing near 150 rs./m
here are the prices of the power cables..

0 gauge - 50 mm.sq - Rs 238 per meter
2 gauge - 35 mm.sq - Rs 164 per meter
4 gauge - 25 mm.sq - Rs 123 per meter
6 gauge - 16 mm.sq - Rs 76 per meter
8 gauge - 10 mm.sq - Rs 76 per meter
Old 11th November 2007, 13:22   #6
BHPian

what does the gauge mean, how does it make a difference in SQ?
what is it's significance?
Old 11th November 2007, 14:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
what does the gauge mean, how does it make a difference in SQ? what is it's significance?
This will help:

gunbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2007, 14:44   #8
BHPian

hi danny,

gauge is the thickness of wire. the thicker the wire the better the current flow, less resistance etc. but you shouldn't go overboard. for e.g. a 75w x 4ch amp will need 25mm2 max thickness. you don't need a 35mm2 for that amp.

there a conversion tables given on some other thread(gauge to mm2) and tables for optimum thickness one need for a particular amp.

LBM, can you please post the tables here?

cheers
clip
Old 11th November 2007, 17:29   #9
BHPian

Are Boss, Dapic etc fake? I mean, Are these companies reputed and are faked in India or they are some cheap Chinese/Delhi Brand?
Old 11th November 2007, 17:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Are Boss, Dapic etc fake? I mean, Are these companies reputed and are faked in India or they are some cheap Chinese/Delhi Brand?
Yes most of the BOSS AND DIPAC are fake. BOSS with Yellow BOX is total fake costs around 300 - 400 but it does the job.
Old 11th November 2007, 17:58   #11
BHPian

This may sound really stupid...But will fake wires make such a huge difference compared to original wires of the same gauge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yes most of the BOSS AND DIPAC are fake. BOSS with Yellow BOX is total fake costs around 300 - 400 but it does the job.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
This may sound really stupid...But will fake wires make such a huge difference compared to original wires of the same gauge ?
Now here's the catch. most imitations (read which have a huge price difference) "appear" to be same gauge whereas they are generally not, they tend to have same thickness, but more of plastic and less of wire.

Stick to branded quality cables.
Old 11th November 2007, 19:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

This might help you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
2g cable 6 mtrs
2G Grounding cable 1 mtr
outputs to amps use 4g cable 2 mtrs
outputs to amps use 4g cable 2 mtrs
Distribution Block 1 no
Grounding Terminal
waterproof fuse holder near battery:
Fuses : 3 nos
4ch Interconnects
2 ch Interconnects
Speaker wire 14 mtrs
Sub Wire 2 mtrs

first us see what is your requirment and what you require....

from the above specs sheet we can see that the 1.400 requires 55 amps when wired at 1 ohms and the 4.300 requires 16.5 amps only....these are the max musical power demands if sine waves are played the amperes will increase more so a little more thick wire will be fine....

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes

from the above chart we can see that these are the normal current carring capacity of a wire or we can say max a wire can take so always take a upsize...so we can take a upsize ...

for the 1.400 we can take gauge 8 cable or 4 will be more than sufficent and will be more than extra for the purpose...but I will recommend 4 gauge....

for the 4.300 we can take a 8 gauge for the job even if you use a 2 ohms speaker or a 4 ohms one.....

I would suggest drop the distribution block idea as it will require a good expert to do it and more joints will be there in the path....

for your job take two wire put the fuses in the engine bay and run the two wires where the amps are going to be mounted.....connect the main positive directly to the amp and ground the amp with a soild earth point like the seat belt bolt which is directly goes into the car chassis....

for the speaker wires and rca leads you can get them easily as they dont make a major amount.....

for the power wire you can use finolex as they come in mmsq size you can consider 16 mmsq or 25 mmsq for the 1.400 and 10 mmsq for the 4.300...

for more good option you can go for LAPP cable they are German product used in merc car wireing....the LAPP cable is about 40 % cosltier than the regular finolex cable....

the finolex 10mmsq one meter is for approx 60-70 rupess and the lapp would be approx 90 -100 rupes...the 16mmsq and the 25 mmsq prices I dont remember but would be in the range of 125 and 175 respectively....

for the termination you can get good thimbles made out of Oxgen free copper terminals made by Jainson avalable at any good electrical shop....they would avalable in ring-type, u-type, pin type....use the appropiate at the place required...like the ring type for connection at the battery terminal and the pin type for the ampilfier connection..here is a pic for the reference....
Old 12th November 2007, 02:15   #14
BHPian

thank you people.

I wonder how many INSTALLERS are educated enough to understand these and do a proper install. I would like to ask fellow members to post some reputed installers in Mumbai Bandra/Santacruz/Kalina/Milan/Juhu area!
Old 7th May 2008, 19:41   #15
BHPian

What would be a good brand for Fuse holder ?

I was being offered BOSS fuse holder for 350/- but i didnt buy it because its junk. Any better quality alternatives ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks