Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2007, 02:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Battery woes!?

Here is the problem:

All this when the engine is at idling:

1. The light in the cabin (if you may call it that) has started enjoying the music so much, it now dances to the beat of the sub.

2. The headlamps feel the beat too, but not in lower gears (high RPM and hence the alternator feeding?)

I went to the battery shop today, the guy checked it up and he said the battery is good, but not well-charged. He asked me to leave the battery with him so that he could charge it for full 24 hours, while offering a spare one. I don't buy that idea. I somehow don't want to.

So, I have a couple of queries:

1. What should I ascertain before I think about changing the battery? Looking at the above, do you think I need to buy a new battery?

2. If I install a new battery, can I install a higher current rating battery? Baleno comes with a 35A.

The car starts even after parking it for a couple of days or playing ICE for 5-10 minutes with the engine off. Thank God!

P.S: I won't post my ICE config again, but I have a 60.4 and a 300.1. The wiring is great (which most of you have seen on the other thread).

The car has a pair of Hella horns (have a relay), headlights have an electronic relay (Philips 130/100 bulbs).
Old 10th November 2007, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

It looks like your battery has become weak, now what you also need to check whether the alternator is charging the battery at the rate it should be. You need a mech who is good at electricals. I have faced the same issue in my Zen with an Amaron bat, and it was much worse than what you are facing as the amps were more powerful, some 1400 RMS in total with 2 amps, but I could rectify it without replacing the battery.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

How old is the battery?? Also like Satya said get the Alternator checked to ensure that it's working properly & feeding the battery the right volts & charging it properly.

Otherwise, if the battery's going kaput, keep it going for a while & then change to a higher amp one based on what can be fitted in the stock slot of the Baleno.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:19   #4
BANNED

It seems to be an alternator problem. Inadequate charging, I guess. Else, there is some circuit - forgot the name- which regulates the alternator output; and that may need to be tested.

If the battery is weak / needs replacement, it would not start after leaving overnight.

In Kerala, we have a breed of mechanics - the "Auto Electricians" who deal only with electricals of automobiles. Find a good one near you.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs.

I'll head to the electrical guys right away. I'll see what is wrong and post the same here.

Thanks again everyone, have a very happy Deepavali/Diwali.
Old 10th November 2007, 14:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Roak Star - Better still, Bad Boy from London is in your town, please refer the problem to him first!!

*Hint: See MM2 Mumbai meet thread for Bad Boy's identity!

Last edited by iraghava : 10th November 2007 at 14:23.
Old 10th November 2007, 14:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Roak Star - Better still, Babd Boy from London is in your town, please refer the problem to him first!!

*Hint: See MM2 Mumbai meet thread for Bad Boy's identity!
Gotcha! That is when the Bad Boy wakes up
Old 10th November 2007, 18:47   #8
BHPian

hi raghu,

sorry for asking but what gauge wiring are you using? i had a similar problem when i was using some boss 8g craps. when i switched to a 25mm2 l&t power cable, the dancing of lights stopped.

there could be other issues and it is best to get it checked by a pro.

cheers
clip
Old 11th November 2007, 00:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi raghu,

sorry for asking but what gauge wiring are you using? i had a similar problem when i was using some boss 8g craps. when i switched to a 25mm2 l&t power cable, the dancing of lights stopped.
I am using Stinger 4-gauge power cables, Stinger distribution block and fuse holder.

You can have a look at them here:

B&T had a look at it today and told me that it is all about the battery. Will post details very soon.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 11th November 2007 at 00:27.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

The easiest way out is to remove the bulbs from all those annoying things like cabin light, head light, instrument cluster etc. Get a good maglite.

Its going to happen as a poor regular battery starts getting older. Its not a big problem until the lights dont come on ever again. And thats when you need the Maglite.. and a couple of strong friends.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The easiest way out is to remove the bulbs from all those annoying things like cabin light, head light, instrument cluster etc. Get a good maglite.
I tried that yaar. But these bloody bulbs are in the least accessible corner.

Quote:
Its going to happen as a poor regular battery starts getting older. Its not a big problem until the lights dont come on ever again. And thats when you need the Maglite.. and a couple of strong friends.
Is his issue same as what I was / am sometimes facing? When a heavy bass note kicks in only the digital clock light flickers and sometimes when I am listening to trance tracks with continuous bass notes that thump the headlights blink quite a bit but not obvious enough to sit in the drivers seat to notice. I checked by getting out of the car this time and there was a slight dimming I observed.

I really want to go for the Optima Yellow Top battery but don't have any idea who distributes them in Pune and whether I'll get warranty for a battery that costs 3-4 times the normal battery I use. And I even saw LBM's experience on the Optima Yellow Top Battery also Bass&Troubles battery woes in his Ferrari and went skeptical.

LBM, did you get a replacement? Are you using the same battery or switched to Lead-Acid?

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2007 at 16:02.
Old 12th November 2007, 16:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

LBM has not got a replacement for the Yellow Top. So to take revenge he replaced all the batteries of his cars & his friend's cars & his neighbour's cars from the same dealer for free.

Remember the ad "poore ghar ki badal daloonga!!"
Old 12th November 2007, 17:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I went to the battery shop today, the guy checked it up and he said the battery is good, but not well-charged. He asked me to leave the battery with him so that he could charge it for full 24 hours, while offering a spare one. I don't buy that idea. I somehow don't want to.
Why don't you try that ? It may be the problem that you are running on lower charged battery and the alternator is not charging it to full (because of the heavy load of ICE).Try charging it overnight like the Battery shopwala told you and check.If the battery is good then that should solve the problem.If that also don't solve it then you may need to get the alternator checked or may be changing the battery itself.
Old 12th November 2007, 21:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
LBM has not got a replacement for the Yellow Top. So to take revenge he replaced all the batteries of his cars & his friend's cars & his neighbour's cars from the same dealer for free.

Remember the ad "poore ghar ki badal daloonga!!"

Yellow tops are notorious for dying , they are no good for car audio applications, I have had 4 bats die till date, so have stopped suggesting them to people, my cousin's battery died and he has not yet got a replacement.
Old 12th November 2007, 23:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. The light in the cabin ...now dances to the beat of the sub.

2. The headlamps feel the beat too, but not in lower gears (high RPM and hence the alternator feeding?)

1. What should I ascertain before I think about changing the battery? Looking at the above, do you think I need to buy a new battery?

2. If I install a new battery, can I install a higher current rating battery? Baleno comes with a 35A..
Quote:
I am using Stinger 4-gauge power cables, Stinger distribution block and fuse holder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
When a heavy bass note kicks in only the digital clock light flickers and sometimes when I am listening to trance tracks with continuous bass notes that thump the headlights blink quite a bit but not obvious enough?
what is the gauge of wire from the alternator to the battery?

Most Viewed