Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2007, 15:31   #1
BHPian

speaker exposed. will dust pollution spoil it?

Dear friends

Not finding an answer in other threads, I'm asking here.

My JBL Oval C series speakers in rear parcel tray of my Palio Stile Sport 1.6 were creating rattling sound. To troubleshoot, I removed top lids; trying to identify culprit loose-fittings.

The noise was coming from loosely screwed speaker to tray + dangling scotch tape. It took me 3 hours, and 5 try-and-ride attempts to get to the root.

Problem is fixed. I'm now testing speakers with top cover not put-back. Speaker internals are exposed. I feel like sound and bass is 10% better.

Will I face future problems if I leave it this way?

Will ensure not to put items on speakers.

But I also drive with window open 20% of time. Will dust spoil my speakers?

Thanks

Amit
Old 11th November 2007, 01:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post

The noise was coming from loosely screwed speaker to tray + dangling scotch tape. It took me 3 hours, and 5 try-and-ride attempts to get to the root.

Problem is fixed. I'm now testing speakers with top cover not put-back. Speaker internals are exposed. I feel like sound and bass is 10% better.
Hi Amit! The amount of sound/bass/whatever should not be affected by the speaker grille. I'm afraid your perception is psychological.

Get an MDF tray for your rear speakers and get them installed properly by a qualified fella.

You're going to damage the speakers if a rear passenger places something on your speakers. Dust, however will remain an issue which will have to be remedied by periodic cleaning.
Old 13th November 2007, 07:28   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu
You're going to damage the speakers if a rear passenger places something on your speakers.
I don't think that the speaker will get damaged unless the object is above 2/3 KG. A small object (like a 200g book) will never damage the speaker !

But, I'm not advising anyone here to place stuffs on top of the speaker !
Old 13th November 2007, 09:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

AMit, the grille on the speaker is not dust proof. It has large holes to allow the sound to escape.
It is not possible that the speakers sound better without the grille.
I am glad you found the cause of your rattling. I now suggest you replace your grilles, to protect your speakers from physical damage.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I don't think that the speaker will get damaged unless the object is above 2/3 KG. A small object (like a 200g book) will never damage the speaker !

But, I'm not advising anyone here to place stuffs on top of the speaker !
any sharp object can damage the speaker.

Most Viewed