Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 00:13   #1
BHPian

Crazy Idea 2- using pc speakers rather subwoofers - Will this work???

can i connect the pc speakers rather subwoofers(2.1 or 5.1) setup to an mp3 player and power it through car battery. the adapter converts the ac current to dc current. so instead of using an adapter we can directy power it through battery. will this work??? this way there will be no need of a HU and an amp. need suggestions.....
Old 14th November 2007, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaks7 View Post
can i connect the pc speakers rather subwoofers(2.1 or 5.1) setup to an mp3 player and power it through car battery. the adapter converts the ac current to dc current. so instead of using an adapter we can directy power it through battery. will this work??? this way there will be no need of a HU and an amp. need suggestions.....
Should work if the input voltage requirement is 12V. And you would have to take care of spikes and surges, connecting directly without any protection could result in clicks & crackles and might even blow up your amp (inside the PC speakers).
But no harm in trying.
Old 14th November 2007, 15:34   #3
BHPian

Rather than trying to use the 12V from the battery, I think it will be much simpler to use a 220V inverter. It'll be easy to get and you can use the same adaptor.

Quote:
Old 14th November 2007, 17:31   #4
BHPian

yeah the input voltage is 12v only.... can this setup harm car battery also like short circuit etc.???

@aditya

and wats a 220V inverter??? where do we connect it?? is it easily available?? and wats the price???
Old 14th November 2007, 18:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
yeah the input voltage is 12v only.... can this setup harm car battery also like short circuit etc.???

@aditya

and wats a 220V inverter??? where do we connect it?? is it easily available?? and wats the price???

Its a thing which plugs into the 12V cigarette lighter socket and has a 220V Outlet, like the ones we have at have at home. I dont know about the price.
Old 14th November 2007, 19:09   #6
BHPian

!!! duh !!!
what's with the ICE section suddenly?
first this...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sting-ice.html

and now this thread
Old 14th November 2007, 19:10   #7

Invertor steps up the 12V input to 220V output.

You could get an invertor locally made for about Rs 3000. These are a little bulky will take up space. If you need a small, sleek one, if someone is travelling abroad you could get one for about 75$ US.

Using a power strip from the invertor output you can connect multiple 220V devices to it. The key is the wattage spec, do not exceed this it will damage the invertor. If the fuse is not correct it can cause a short in your car electricals.
Old 14th November 2007, 19:37   #8
BHPian

I think it's got to do with ICE audio equipment being much much more expensive than home / computer audio equipment.
Old 15th November 2007, 01:15   #9
BANNED

what's wrong in this section now.. from JBL, ID, Audison, Groundzero. we have moved on to creative or intex speakers in cars?
and I used to crib about sony!! duh!
Old 21st November 2007, 01:17   #10
BHPian

I think the point made is valid. There are some kickass computer speaker systems that you can get for 10K (Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative) which will give you 2.1 (or even 5.1) sound. With mainstream car audio gear, if you want a sub, it means having to spend at least 25K, which (no offence to anyone here) is excessive to many people. My heart always skips a beat when I hear about people spending 50K - 1 Lakh on ICE!

I for one would love to just pop my Logitech 2.1 system in my car, connect it to my mp3 player, and get a very VFM setup for a basic but wholesome sound (i.e. it does the job better than Sony, and doesn't put me below the poverty line). Unfortunately the logistics of doing that renders it totally unfeasible.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I think the point made is valid. There are some kickass computer speaker systems that you can get for 10K (Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative) which will give you 2.1 (or even 5.1) sound. With mainstream car audio gear, if you want a sub, it means having to spend at least 25K, which (no offence to anyone here) is excessive to many people. My heart always skips a beat when I hear about people spending 50K - 1 Lakh on ICE!
People who have spent that much know very well that those 10k x.1 speakers are no good for car audio. Acoustics have to kept in mind. Just like you can't use the 10k speakers in a car, these car speakers can't be used in a cinema hall. I think you understand that I mean.

Besides, I don't know if someone would install a x.1 desktop speakers by sticking the speakers on the dash. lol.
Old 21st November 2007, 13:37   #12
BHPian

But there are people (like me) who cannot afford huge scores but wanted a better audio in their car and also they don't complain about the SQ they get from these desktop x.1 (like Creative). So probably nothing wrong i guess if they think for opting the existing ones instead of spending another 15k plus. I Request Gurus (rockstarraghu, vebmetal, navin, dealtr, aditya ......) not think bad or otherwise for my view and also to help all the people who come up with innovative ideas. Beside we can use the 12v DC from the car ( guess better to use with fuse !) to connect the system (donno abt audio connections though as the system has stereo input). Pls correct me if I am wrong. I would be lucky enough if SAM sir gives his comment on this issue.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
I Request Gurus (rockstarraghu, vebmetal, navin, dealtr, aditya ......)
Oh, hell! I am nowhere near that category!! You couldn't be more wrong!! I am a total ICE noob, km120!
Old 21st November 2007, 14:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Oh, hell! I am nowhere near that category!! You couldn't be more wrong!! I am a total ICE noob, km120!
Dont worry, he is just listing everyone who responded in this thread

Anyways, interesting points but when you look at actual utility of these systems. Each is designed for its special purpose and that cannot be reversed in most cases. For e.g: car audio is specifically designed for closed interiors and therefore SQ will differ to a large extent. ICE Gurus, please add your inputs
Old 21st November 2007, 14:45   #15
BHPian

I'll tell you what... one of these days I am going to get frustrated and take an extension cord and hook up my logitech 2.1 system in the car while it's parked in my driveway. Will report on SQ / SPL then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks