Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 14:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

so many innovative ideas floating here..... good! ICE section needs people like these.
Old 21st November 2007, 17:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I think the point made is valid. There are some kickass computer speaker systems that you can get for 10K (Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative) which will give you 2.1 (or even 5.1) sound. With mainstream car audio gear, if you want a sub, it means having to spend at least 25K, which (no offence to anyone here) is excessive to many people. My heart always skips a beat when I hear about people spending 50K - 1 Lakh on ICE!

I for one would love to just pop my Logitech 2.1 system in my car, connect it to my mp3 player, and get a very VFM setup for a basic but wholesome sound (i.e. it does the job better than Sony, and doesn't put me below the poverty line). Unfortunately the logistics of doing that renders it totally unfeasible.
no dear. check the RMS of the logitech systems you are talking about. at 10k, i'd go the other way round. pick up car audio stuff from grey and make a system. better still... take 8 ohm subs with good specs, good speakers, a local amp... ...kya baat kar rahe ho aap sir, aap agar ek auto-rickshaw ka system bhi theek se tune kar do, uski zaroorat se zyada bass aur treble to kam kar do, tab bhi woh creative ko kahin ka nahin chodega. the only problem is that we believe in 'brands'... if i give you johny walker in a desi bottle... you'll crib... but if you get a mcdowell's in a johny bottle, you'll go gaga over it!!

cheers:
Old 21st November 2007, 18:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

There are other ways of getting ICE (true-blue car speakers, HU etc) into your car for say, 8K, the price of a good pair of 2.1s.

A LOT of people discard their OE speakers from their cars everyday. They drive to the installer, get the OE speakers removed, and fit aftermarket speakers. The OE speakers are usually left with the installer. If you hunt around a few car accessories shops, you will get these speakers for close to nothing. These speakers will be much, much better than any 2.1 computer/Home speakers in an in-car environment. They will sound better and last longer, and they will not look out-of-place.

The same applies to the HU. Lots of OE HUs with CD players get left with installers daily. You'll get them for as low as 1 to 1.5K if you bargain. Even HUs with cassette players are OK. If you do want to do some jugaad, get an aux-in done for a cassette player HU and use an MP3 player with that HU.

If you don't want to go the OE stuff way, there's always lots of second-hand stuff available (because of upgrades) with installers/car accessory shops. If its a shop you know, you'll get good stuff real cheap.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
@hydrashok:
A LOT of people discard their OE speakers from their cars everyday. They drive to the installer, get the OE speakers removed, and fit aftermarket speakers. The OE speakers are usually left with the installer. If you hunt around a few car accessories shops, you will get these speakers for close to nothing. These speakers will be much, much better than any 2.1 computer/Home speakers in an in-car environment. They will sound better and last longer, and they will not look out-of-place.

The same applies to the HU. Lots of OE HUs with CD players get left with installers daily. You'll get them for as low as 1 to 1.5K if you bargain. Even HUs with cassette players are OK. If you do want to do some jugaad, get an aux-in done for a cassette player HU and use an MP3 player with that HU.

If you don't want to go the OE stuff way, there's always lots of second-hand stuff available (because of upgrades) with installers/car accessory shops. If its a shop you know, you'll get good stuff real cheap.
Hydrashock Sir sometimes people may feel a bit embarrassed to ask for them in these shops. And the dealer may price the used one at high end rates for making profits. If people here don't mind why don't we start a thread for resale of ICE city wise. So that all BHPian's get more out of our forum. As the owner does his research for the new ICE he might place his deal i guess. Sorry if this is already implemented but i didn't find any thread so far.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, hell! I am nowhere near that category!! You couldn't be more wrong!! I am a total ICE noob, km120!
Don't worry vebmetal u can make it up to the list very soon.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
no dear. check the RMS of the logitech systems you are talking about. at 10k, i'd go the other way round. pick up car audio stuff from grey and make a system. better still... take 8 ohm subs with good specs, good speakers, a local amp... ...kya baat kar rahe ho aap sir, aap agar ek auto-rickshaw ka system bhi theek se tune kar do, uski zaroorat se zyada bass aur treble to kam kar do, tab bhi woh creative ko kahin ka nahin chodega. the only problem is that we believe in 'brands'... if i give you johny walker in a desi bottle... you'll crib... but if you get a mcdowell's in a johny bottle, you'll go gaga over it!!

cheers:
I don't know about car audio, but it's an open secret in the guitar amplifier world that wattage only signifies the quality of sound to a certain extent. To take your own example, I could tell you that Johnnie Walker is 42% alcohol and McDowell is 53%, and if you were to conclude that McDowell must be a better whiskey, you would be wrong. The only real proof is in the proverbial pudding, i.e. your taste buds or, bringing it back to car audio, your ears.

Creative / Logitech / Altec Lansing et al make a large variety of audio systems, not just the sasta 2.1 (or 2.0) speakers found in most people's homes.

Anyway, my point is about VFM, and not sonic superiority.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Creative / Logitech / Altec Lansing et al make a large variety of audio systems, not just the sasta 2.1 (or 2.0) speakers found in most people's homes.

Anyway, my point is about VFM, and not sonic superiority.
and i'm debating the idea that an altec or a logitech or a creative "computer speaker system" is VFM in a car. :-)

may the gurus guide you!!
Old 21st November 2007, 20:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by km120 View Post
Hydrashock Sir sometimes people may feel a bit embarrassed to ask for them in these shops. And the dealer may price the used one at high end rates for making profits. If people here don't mind why don't we start a thread for resale of ICE city wise. So that all BHPian's get more out of our forum. As the owner does his research for the new ICE he might place his deal i guess. Sorry if this is already implemented but i didn't find any thread so far.
there is a market place section where you can put up your used ICE for sale. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-market/
Old 21st November 2007, 20:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Even these which u can quoted are under 5k vebmetal and still deliver bright SQ.
Old 21st November 2007, 21:47   #25
BHPian

I have a 24 W RMS Philips Subwoofer. The impedance is 8 ohm.
Can I use it in my car without an amp ?

EDIT: And thats my 100th Post cheers:

Last edited by adityamunshi : 21st November 2007 at 21:49.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Request Gurus (rockstarraghu, vebmetal, navin, dealtr, aditya ......)
Nor am I!

I am just an avid follower of ICE and an active member.
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I Request Gurus (rockstarraghu, vebmetal, navin, dealtr, aditya ......)

Neither am I !!
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
. if i give you johny walker in a desi bottle... you'll crib... but if you get a mcdowell's in a johny bottle, you'll go gaga over it!!

cheers:
no, i wouldn't since AFAIK it is johnnie walker & not johny walker, so i would know straightaway that it's a fake. cheers:
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
no, i wouldn't since AFAIK it is johnnie walker & not johny walker
Correct.

Old 22nd November 2007, 21:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I have a 24 W RMS Philips Subwoofer. The impedance is 8 ohm. Can I use it in my car without an amp ?
First of all, it is not clear whether you are referring to a Driver, or a ready-made box-unit (maybe with an internal amp). What was it before coming to the re-use state?

If a driver (even in a box, without internal amp), it could be connected across one of the speakers FL/LR, RL/RR - but then it would change the effective impedance of that channel to the HU and the apparent loudness of that channel. You have to bravely experiment. Just make sure you don't short-out any speaker connection - that will be a costly error.

Not knowing the output stage of the HU, don't know what will happen if you bridge the both the L and R of either the front or rear pairs. Navin-ji?

Might work, but it is not likely to produce much loudness - might get drowned in road noise.

Most Viewed