Team-BHP - HU and SPk trouble in Maruthi 800.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   HU and SPk trouble in Maruthi 800. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/31389-hu-spk-trouble-maruthi-800-a.html)

Hello Everyone here ! I cannot explain how happy I am to find such a ideal forum. Thanks to one and all for their supporting attitude and a very helping nature. Above all its a fantastic experience to be in this forum. I was introduced to BHP by a person I met at a private service station ( ALI & Sons) in koramangla, BLR. Thanks to him a lot. From then I couldn't able to stop myself browsing the forum at least twice a day. The threads are informative , post are interesting and people are so good that no one can ever find a better help than here.
Well this is my first post as I was waiting to understand the environment here and also the boundaries. The fact is that I don't know the ABCD ( Not American Born Confused Desi though!) of Automobile. But guess now I am taking up my lessons . I have a problem and thought of approaching you people as you are desperate in solving than just hear it.

We have a Maruthi 800 in which the ICE config is :

HU : SONY XR-C550 (CD/MD Changer Cassette Player) 1998 Model.
Rear Speakers : SONY 6x9" 3 way and
Front Speakers : SONY XS-GF1022X 4" (2 way speaker).

As car is used by my uncle till last month and I am unaware of when and how I got a rear speaker screwed up with a hole in it. Unknowing about it I recently bought the front speakers which is b4 looking at this forum, and realized that I have done a great blunder. Earlier we used only FM with out loud option or bass. Since I am using it now I am coming across different probs now when I turn on bass and Loud option. I heard Jarring sound if bass is increased. When i checked the speaker I noticed a hole in it. The snaps are below. And while fixing the front speakers the mechanic told me that the rear line from HU has no signal and the rear speakers are connected to the front line from HU. So he bridged the front and rear speakers with the front line. Now sound quality is poor and no use of new speakers. I cannot afford a head unit or speakers right now. Can I get the speaker fixed as the hole is in the surround material and can i get my HU fixed so that there is signal in both the lines. I am new to Bangalore so hardly know about anyone who fixes HU and Sprks.:confused:

The HU.

Hole in the 6x9".

A closer look.

The new 4" fronts installed in the dash.

I am rather dumb :Frustrati to buy those fronts without any suggestion. Sorry for poor photo clarity as I shot with my mobile cam.Also please advice with any other method apart from canned air to clean the speaker off dust. Finally I thank you for your time buddies and for your advices in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by km120 (Post 627958)
Since I am using it now I am coming across different probs now when I turn on bass and Loud option. I heard Jarring sound if bass is increased. When i checked the speaker I noticed a hole in it. The snaps are below. And while fixing the front speakers the mechanic told me that the rear line from HU has no signal and the rear speakers are connected to the front line from HU. So he bridged the front and rear speakers with the front line. Now sound quality is poor and no use of new speakers. I cannot afford a head unit or speakers right now. Can I get the speaker fixed as the hole is in the surround material and can i get my HU fixed so that there is signal in both the lines. I am new to Bangalore so hardly know about anyone who fixes HU and Sprks.

The hole in the speaker is not the cause of the problems that you are facing. At most, over time the speaker surround will deteriorate. Looks like the surround in that speaker is also paper. Let it be for the time being.

Driving the rear and front speakers in parallel from the front output of the HU has worsened your problem. The HU you have is not capable of handling that low-impedance load and distorts at the earliest opportunity. With loudness on, everything must be fluttering like butterfly's wings.

The main cause is the HU itself. If you do not want to replace it perhaps you should go to SP Lane (behind SJP Road in the City Market area) and ask one the many small repair shops to look into the problem of the HU. Go early on a Saturday and you will find a parking place nearby. Most likely the rear channels of the HU have gone phut. If it is '98 vintage, maybe someone can repair it.

Quote:

Also please advice with any other method apart from canned air to clean the speaker off dust

Air would be the best method - anything else would spoil the speaker materials. Be careful not to use high pressure - might do more harm than good.

Thank you very much DerAlte, I shud be going for what u said. I'll go tomorrow for SJP road and try to get it fixed. If I can save on HU may be at later time I can go for JBL GTO 937 set may be next month.:)

km, IMO, replacing HU and all 4 speakers is a better alternative. They seem too old to produce decent bass.

@km120 Sorry for going a bit OT.

Where can i buy a can of air ? stupid:

Quote:

Also please advice with any other method apart from canned air to clean the speaker off dust. Finally I thank you for your time buddies and for your advices in advance.

@Aditya : Where can i buy a can of air ? stupid:[/quote]

Sorry Aditya, I am supposed to ask the same quest.:D

Donno where can I get it in BLR and how to blow off through the speakerslol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by km120 (Post 629219)
@Aditya : Where can i buy a can of air ? stupid:

Sorry Aditya, I am supposed to ask the same quest.:D

Donno where can I get it in BLR and how to blow off through the speakerslol:

The easiest is to buy one of those cheap foot pumps for bicycles from Big Bazar. It comes with a plastic nozzle for blowing up balloons and footb@lls.

Othewise, take a short length of thin pipe like the petrol pipe and blow with your mouth. Even a common drink straw would do at a pinch.

If the speaker is already unmounted, you could take it to the petrol bunk and ask the air filling guy to do it for you.

This "thing" can also help. I dunno what it's called (we call it "pssss pssss" at home) :D
I use it to clean my keyboard/s and it works wonders. Totally manual action though (heh, heh).

Frankly I don't remember where I got it from either (it is at least 5 years old). Maybe somebody can help there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 629685)
This "thing" can also help. I dunno what it's called (we call it "pssss pssss" at home) :D
I use it to clean my keyboard/s and it works wonders. Totally manual action though (heh, heh).

Frankly I don't remember where I got it from either (it is at least 5 years old). Maybe somebody can help there?

I thought you lived in Kochi, @hydrashok. This looks like a photo from Mars!!! :Shockked:

I have something similar - with a brush at the business end - a lens cleaner for camera lenses. Bought that with my first SLR 20 years back.

Another alternative: on most vacuum cleaners, one can shift the pipe to blower mode. The pressure is enough to dislodge dirt and dust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 629733)
I thought you lived in Kochi, @hydrashok. This looks like a photo from Mars!!! :Shockked:

Sab Kuch reddish huh? :D

BTW, the "psssss psssss"'s official name is Hurricane Blower, made by "Ginni". The name was uh, embossed right on the item (DUHHHH!!!). "Hurricane Blower" is a bit ambitious a name for this thing though.

Thank you hydrashock for the clues but guess I am out of it. Today I removed the jarring speaker 6X9" from the box and placed upside down and played again with bass. Noise was quite aloud now and I have blown some air with hand blower. I think the speakers are too old to get them repaired. So I disconnected the problematic one. I hope to get the HU unit fixed soon and Also will go for jbl Gto 937. By the way any one can tell the update price of 937 both grey and with B/W.