Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2007, 13:34   #1
BHPian

Problem with Pio HU

Hi,
I have Pioneer 2950 installed in my car. Today all of sudden sound stopped coming from speakers. There was power in the HU but no sign of any sound from any speakers.
Got all the wiring checked and no issues so finally went to shop to get the HU checked. There guy told me that there is a sound I.C. went dead in the HU and it needs to be replaced. When I asked the reason for it, he said that it happens when you do not have AMP and you are running your speakers directly from power from HU and on very high volume.
Earlier I had only coupld of rear co axials installed and few time I listed on very high volume but never had such issue but later, around two months ago,I got Hertz Compos installed in the front.
Whatever this guy told me, is this true?
Could this be the reason that now all 4 speakers are getting power from HU and overloaded would have caused this sound I.C to blow?
If this is correct, I need to get an amp soon.
Please let me know your views.
Old 16th November 2007, 13:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you were running the HU to your rear coaxial then it shouldn't be the reason for your HU to go kaput.

But, if you got the front comps along with rear speakers being powered with HU and on top of it increase the volumes to insane levels, it certainly will be the reason for it to go dead.

Get an AMP asap !
Old 16th November 2007, 14:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you were running the HU to your rear coaxial then it shouldn't be the reason for your HU to go kaput.

But, if you got the front comps along with rear speakers being powered with HU and on top of it increase the volumes to insane levels, it certainly will be the reason for it to go dead.

Get an AMP asap !

LBM, sam, gunbir / any of the ICE champs comment on this please.
Old 16th November 2007, 17:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Get an AMP asap !
Thanks Mobike,
So now I am sure that reason for this sound i.c. being blown because of the heavy load of all 4 speakers.
Before getting an amp, I need to get this HU repaired first
Old 16th November 2007, 17:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

thats the 2nd Pio 2950 complaint thats was posted here at tbhp.

mods pls merge the threads.
Old 17th November 2007, 11:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
There guy told me that there is a sound I.C. went dead in the HU and it needs to be replaced. Earlier I had only coupld of rear co axials installed and few time I listed on very high volume but never had such issue but later, around two months ago,I got Hertz Compos installed in the front.
if the 2950 has failed for this reason I suspect a poor 2950. Most HU amps are designed to drive 4 4ohm speakers. Unless there was a short in the wiring I dont think this is really the cause of the HU's IC dying. Anyway before a amp dies it will produce a lot of distortion. as long sa you keep the level to where the sound is clean you will have no problem. if you need louder levels then you need an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
thats the 2nd Pio 2950 complaint thats was posted here at tbhp. mods pls merge the threads.
the othe thread is more of an install issue than a 2950 issue. the install could refer to any HU, it just happened to be a 2950.
Old 19th November 2007, 14:26   #7
BHPian

So what do you guys suggest?
As I am planning to have an amp soon, should I go for repair of this 2950 or get a new HU like Pio 6950 or something like that.
In case if you suggest a new HU, please suggest a good HU (Please bear in mind that I am tight on budget). My only requirement is MP3 capability.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:45   #8
BHPian

I will suggest you get the 4950 if you are getting a new HU. It has 3 preouts so it will be easier to connect it to an amp and have seperate channels for front, rear and sub. It is also very cheap I think. In case you don't get a HU then take care to buy an amp which has line out. This will make it easier to add a new amp later on without using splitters.
Old 20th November 2007, 07:08   #9
BANNED

Quote:

Get an AMP asap !
Are you saying that in order to run compos(front) & 6x9 coaxials(rear) we should always buy an amp ?

And, the HU shouldn't have busted if there was coaxials(in the front) in the place of compos ?
Old 20th November 2007, 07:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I tend to agree with Navin. Playing 4 speakers very loud is unlikely to be the cause for this failure.
And anyway, an amp is never really stressed to it's max at 'very high volume'. Max stress is at about two-thirds of full output. That's where driver and output stages have to dissipate max heat.
Your HU has probably failed due to some other issue, possibly a manufacturing defect like the output chip not being adequately screwed down to the heat sink.
Of course this is all off-the-cuff. We don't even know WHICH chip has failed.
Old 20th November 2007, 21:22   #11
BHPian

I have given it for repair. Will update you guys soon
Old 14th December 2007, 20:35   #12
BHPian

Ok. Got it back and paid 700 Rs. for I.C. too high but didn't say anything as it was repaired by Driven and I trust them completely. It worked for almost 20 days and again the same problem has surfaced.
Sounds like issue with the wiring or something else?
Old 14th December 2007, 21:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Driven and I trust them completely. It worked for almost 20 days and again the same problem has surfaced.
Do a serious review on who to trust! You're being let down, mate!
Old 14th December 2007, 22:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Do a serious review on who to trust! You're being let down, mate!
Looks like you had dealt with them with not so good feedback?
Old 15th December 2007, 00:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Error in logic!

You are trusting that what the service guy said MUST be the problem. For a moment consider the following scenario (no disrespect to the abilities of the service person):
* The service guy did not analyze the problem properly, as easiest solution was also the most obvious w.r.t. the problem
* Incidentally it is NOT the sound IC which is at fault - rather another component responsible for, say, disabling the sound IC
* The other component actually has an intermittent problem. When the problem occurs for that component, it goes to the state that DISABLES the sound IC
* After the sound IC was replaced, incidentally the intermittent problem might have reached the safe state, so the new sound IC was working
* The intermittent problem reappeared later - and now for you the sound IC is not working again

Did the service guy prove to you that the sound IC was blown? Difficult. He perhaps would have very limited means of knowing whether it is actually blown or not.

Did you ask him to explain his logic (or prove it is faulty) with measurement? Most likely that will provoke some logical thinking from him.

Am I providing a solution? Sorry, NO. I am only provoking a different way of thinking.

Last edited by DerAlte : 15th December 2007 at 00:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks