Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 23:01   #1
BHPian

Estilo - SQ Setup - jump in to help!

Hey Friends,

Just bought the Zen Estilo. I love music, and dont have a good audio system at home yet been eyeing on some decent bookshelves for more than 7 years now. Well through that now, I have had good PMP's all along, bow I want a decent step by step setup for my first car.

I listen to a lot of Rock, sometimes metal, sometimes Rap, sometimes jazz, sometimes regional, sometimes soundtracks, sometimes dance and trance, sometimes instrumental - so the taste is lot of rock and I prefer all music, music I think is soul and relieves tension for me and lot of us

To be specific, I would listen to Richard marx, Bryan adams, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Sade, Enigma, Eagles, lennie kravitz, Elton John, Robbie Williams, Bon Jovi - so the list goes on.... but you can get the ide from the list.

Zen Estilo is a small tallboy model car, it has 6.5" door panels(moulded grill). I like to place component speakers on the doors [tell me if cutting them and dampening void any warranty? if so whats the risk?]. I think there is a lot of noise inside the car, and hence some dampening is needed.

I have listened to Hertz[briefly] and Illusion Electra 6" Compos [thanks Ajay Bhai] and in the hunt for audiotining the rest of them like JBL, Blau, Infinity and if time permits Polk too. [[ If someone has any of the above and willing to allow me to listen to them for about 15 to 20 mins i will be greatful, please mention here or PM me.]]

Stge by stage plan:

Step1: = Buy 6.5" Components for the front doors + [around 6000]
Step1.1 = 4way AMP + [around 5000]
Step1.2 = wiring kit [around 3000]
total = Rs.14,000 [whoa it's crossed my budget of 10k ]
[we will discuss only step1 here now.]

Step2: Buy 6x9" for the rear.
Step3: Buy a Enclosed Subwoofer.

Note: I'm not buying a HU now, I prefer to run the setup from my MP3 player due to it's ease in playlisting and searching for tracks. I hate to keep stack of CDs and scratch them.! I would buy a HU when I feel it is inevitable! may be @ step4

Ok now you guys tell me how we can proceed!
Old 4th December 2007, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people are trying to bypass the HU nowadays

Some threads:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...will-work.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-10-000-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ier-price.html
Old 4th December 2007, 23:31   #3
BHPian

I think I can be blamed for starting the trend of Estilo owners not wanting HUs!!
(Ironically after all that discussion, I am most probably going to get a HU!)

@millionswords, from what all I have gathered from T-Bhp, I think you can skip stage 2 (i.e. don't get the 6x9s) and instead either save your money or spend it on getting a better amp.
Old 4th December 2007, 23:36   #4
BHPian

Who will be on the back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I think I can be blamed for starting the trend of Estilo owners not wanting HUs!!
(Ironically after all that discussion, I am most probably going to get a HU!)

@millionswords, from what all I have gathered from T-Bhp, I think you can skip stage 2 (i.e. don't get the 6x9s) and instead either save your money or spend it on getting a better amp.
Then what will fill the gap from behind?
Old 5th December 2007, 00:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the better way would be:

1. HU with iPod support + 4 speakers
2. 4 Channel Amplifier and good wiring
3. If not possible with step 2, add the sub here
4. Monoblock, bling, blah blah.

I don't think you'll get a good 4-channel amplifier for 5k - in which case, you won't really need 3k wiring.
Old 5th December 2007, 00:14   #6
BHPian

better if u suggest?

Hydra, it owuld be nicer if you suggest some nice components and thro some light on the setup. You are a good contributor and you can add value, jot just in jerry's thread.

Love to hear from JKDas also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Old 5th December 2007, 00:18   #7
BHPian

Kenwood 8401

Raghu, I thought about the Kenwood 8401 AMPs in greay for around 5000/-
I cannot afford anything more than that now, so I was looking at the Kenwood, Blau, or JBL

I spoke to Pankaj bhai of ZFMDrive today and he said kenwood 64xx series costs Rs.5800 or so

what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
IMO, the better way would be:

2. 4 Channel Amplifier and good wiring
3. If not possible with step 2, add the sub here
4. Monoblock, bling, blah blah.

I don't think you'll get a good 4-channel amplifier for 5k - in which case, you won't really need 3k wiring.
Old 5th December 2007, 01:03   #8
BHPian

Update: good low-end whack, clear mids and treble, decent thump - this is what suits me best. I will be driving, and hence the front Compos get first preference first!

As the SQ knowledge and requirement grows, I will rope in the moolah and get going.
Old 5th December 2007, 01:05   #9
BHPian

From whatever (little) I know, a good amp + wiring will run you 10K. You can reduce it to say 8K or so if you go grey.
Old 5th December 2007, 01:18   #10
BHPian

Raghu bhai,

I would love to invest well on a good 3 pre-out HU, that has nice features to adjust SQ from the HU, and tuning features. I dont want to settle for some "just ok" HU, IMO should be the careful investment and choice.

I fiddle with the EQ and other settings till I get the right sound. Will the HU you suggested under my budget deliver these? [I mean the 5 -6k HUs]

People who talk in metaphors ought to shampoo my crotch.
-Jack Nicholson
As Good as It Gets (1997) - MAN I love that movie and ofcourse all Jack Nicholson's movies, my best vote for "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", 1975! waaav!

@vebmetal - what in your definition is a good amp?

Good Amps can cost 1lakh too, we need to set a budget and work around it! Im not over ambitious and want to go step by step.

Though I would like to get a Merc, I can afford only on a Maruti today - hope u get the point, every one would love the best gadgets!
Old 5th December 2007, 02:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Raghu, I thought about the Kenwood 8401 AMPs in greay for around 5000/-
I haven't tried that amp, so I can't comment. From what I've heard from the gurus, Kenwood amplifiers are generally good VFM and perform well.

Quote:
Raghu bhai,

I would love to invest well on a good 3 pre-out HU, that has nice features to adjust SQ from the HU, and tuning features. I dont want to settle for some "just ok" HU, IMO should be the careful investment and choice.

I fiddle with the EQ and other settings till I get the right sound. Will the HU you suggested under my budget deliver these? [I mean the 5 -6k HUs]
I don't think you can get a 3 pre-out HU with iPod support at 6k. You may consider Pioneer 6950 which costs around 7k.

Pioneer HUs are known for a whole lot of features bundled in them. You may fiddle away to glory. In fact, I have seen that Pioneer provides maximum number of settings for any brand HU (at that price).
Old 5th December 2007, 03:24   #12
BANNED

I am really impressed by the way you have planned to do your setup in step by step. Ofcourse, there would be some corrections I may like to make. But going the step by step way is very very correct if you are short in moolah.

I'd say, get the components and amp first. Run it off from the MP3 player (is it an iPod?). Use 2channels from the 4channel amp for this. Then (when your moolah permits) you should get a subwoofer and run it off the other 2channels from the amp. Get some damping job on the doors and boot. You should be SET by now.
You may want to add a HU soon. Infact, you should get one. Fiddling with the mp3 player menu while driving is not something I would recommend. Get a good HU with some sort of mp3 player connectivity (iPod control, if it is). Whatever the world may say about compressed formats, there can't be anything more satisfying than the good ol' audio cds. I would recommend you to get the HU as soon as possible.
After you've done so much, then you may also add some sort of rear fills. Usual 6.5" coaxial speakers from the same range as your components would do. Run it off from the HU itself. You may also increase your damping a bit as necessary. Now, you should've reached a full SET system. Bilkul SET!

Let some more moolah come in. It's time to get some good wiring. Yes! Earlier, you could've even used any normal wiring such as Twister, visionik etc.... Now, you can spend some hard earned greens on brands like Monster, Connection Audison, EFX etc... Get good power wires, RCAs and speaker cables.
More moolah? Time to add another amp to your setup. Yes! A good monoblock which can bring out the real music out of your sub. Switch off the internal IC of your HU, power all the speakers thru the 4channel amp and the sub via monoblock. You will also have to add a distribution block to the power line between the amps.
Now, You'll have a full perfect setup. But being the upgrade bug bitten you, it'll be not long before you think about better, bigger amps/components/sub etc... But for that, you need a bigger/better car as well. You're always welcome to come back here then and we'll be glad to help you in what car section and once again here, in the Wicked ICE section.

Regarding good brands to look out for while shopping;
HU: Pioneer comes first choice in features and VFM, Alpine comes in for good SQ, build quality and higher costs, JVC for good VFM and so does the Kenwoods.
Components: JBL comes first in VFM, Hertz and Illusions are famous for their mindblowing SQ with a bit higher prices and you can stay away from Pioneer, Fusion etc...
Amp: The Kenwood you have chosen will do it's job well. You may also check the JBLs, Pioneers, Alpines, Audisons, Genesis etc... Stay away from Sony, Auzo, Fusion and other unknown brands.
Your next car: Mercs are a good choice but expensive for ICE. Maruti cars are ok for ICE but they tend to rattle a lot that means more damping. Hyundai makes good cars for ICE. After zen estilo, the perfect car to upgrade would be the ...... Huh! This is the ICE section. As I told earlier, Let's discuss that in What car section later.

Some more guidelines which just came to my mind.
1. Regardless of the brand, choose what your mind is happy with.
2. Don't take any shortcuts by buying many lower quality stuff together and regretting later. Buy the best with your hard earned money and keep the rest aside for the next upgrade/step.
3. When you're done with/doing the setup, we will be very happy to read about it and see pictures of it. That actually makes our day more than anything.
4. All the above words are according to my liking and thinking. Think twice and hard before you decide to implement any.

All the Good lucks with your ICEing!
Old 5th December 2007, 08:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Step1: = Buy 6.5" Components for the front doors + [around 6000]
Step1.1 = 4way AMP + [around 5000]
Step1.2 = wiring kit [around 3000]
total = Rs.14,000 [whoa it's crossed my budget of 10k ]
[we will discuss only step1 here now.]

Step2: Buy 6x9" for the rear.
Step3: Buy a Enclosed Subwoofer.

Note: I'm not buying a HU now, I prefer to run the setup from my MP3 player due to it's ease in playlisting and searching for tracks. I hate to keep stack of CDs and scratch them.! I would buy a HU when I feel it is inevitable! may be @ step4
@MillionSwords:

Good plan to proceed step by step.

1. What is the total amount that you want to spend on your ICE?
2. Over what time period?
3. what would be your outlay at each step?

e.g. Rs.45k over 8 months in in 4 stages - Rs.15k in stage 1 and Rs.10k at each subsequent stage?
Old 5th December 2007, 08:39   #14
BHPian

@FlyingBong - 6k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
@MillionSwords:

Good plan to proceed step by step.

1. What is the total amount that you want to spend on your ICE?
2. Over what time period?
3. what would be your outlay at each step?

e.g. Rs.45k over 8 months in in 4 stages - Rs.15k in stage 1 and Rs.10k at each subsequent stage?
6k Every 2 months gap, if nothing else comes up [like Flying to a friend's/relatives marriage, medical bills, getting a household, wife buying some wacky saree or dress, or getting some accessory for the camera etc dont come up]

See the idea is to get them as and when the necessity arises. I don't want to total and see the setup cost in full, [ it might set me back] I only want to see the small figures, so i wont scare off my wife too!

Hope you get the idea?
Old 5th December 2007, 08:42   #15
BHPian

@hydrashok - I'm not bypassing the HU, I'm saving for a better HU, I thought If I buy a HU and 4 speakers I would never upgrade. So I'm making way for a upgrade from day one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks