Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 09:22   #1
BHPian

Diff btw buying 2 2CH vs 1 4CH AMPs

I was wondering what is the differene in SQ, Ease, Logic and all aspects in buying 2 pieces of 2CH AMPS VS buying one 4CH Amp?
Old 5th December 2007, 09:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
I was wondering what is the differene in SQ, Ease, Logic and all aspects in buying 2 pieces of 2CH AMPS VS buying one 4CH Amp?
I dont think we can cover all this in a forum. The best way to find an answer to this question and all such questions is to listen to as many good installs as possible. hang around good installers and sooner or later they will let you into their world. installers like to show of their installs.
Old 5th December 2007, 11:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. In entry to mid level amps, there wont be a huge difference in SQ

2. Purist amps will usually be 2-channel, or dual mono.

3. A 2 channel will be harder to sell off once you're done with it.

4. 2 x 2 channels of the same power as a single 4 channel will occupy a slightly larger combined installation space and twice the amount of power hardware. But the fact that they are two entities can be used to advantage also, in places where the installation of one large amp is not possible. Say for instance, under the seat, a huge 4-channel may not fit, but you could use 2 x 2 channels and place one under each seat.

5. Most importantly, 2 x 2-ch amps of the same make/ power as one 4-ch will be more expensive. No doubt about that.
Old 5th December 2007, 12:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

OOps I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I thoguht you were coparing the EASE, SQ, LOGIC of 2 and 4 ch amps but waht you were asking is which makes most sense.

For most cases (as a thumb rule you can assume this to be amps under 30K) a multi channel amp makes more sense. It is only inthe case of the "Uber" amps that using 2 x 2 ch. amps is a meaningful upgrade compared to a 1 x 4ch. amp.

B&T, you seem to be getting younger as the days pass. Since I seem to be aging as fast as you are getting younger can you please share your secrets? :-) LOL.
Old 5th December 2007, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T, you seem to be getting younger as the days pass. Since I seem to be aging as fast as you are getting younger can you please share your secrets? :-) LOL.

Navin-ji, you wired in an irreversible change when you got married! Now, no matter what you do, you will carry the "uncle" tag, whereas B&T will still be in the "boy" category (as in the marriage ads).
Old 5th December 2007, 13:36   #6
BHPian

Navin Sir, I too was confused when I read your first reply, then i went back and read my Question

B&T almost covered all the aspects i asked for! Good keen observation, even in terms of space utilization etc..

I thought this would be nice platform to discuss on. Love to hear from more friends on this.

Where is JKDas, hydrasok, speedZak bhai, derAlte, Sam, LBM?
Old 5th December 2007, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Since I seem to be aging as fast as you are getting younger can you please share your secrets? :-) LOL.
Navin just has to say this to his wife. Verbatim.
Old 5th December 2007, 23:10   #8
BHPian

A lot of folks use a 4ch amp with two channels for speakers and the other two channels bridged for a sub. How does that setup compare with using two separate 2ch amps to accomplish the same task?

I figure using separate amps would be better cuz then you can match the amps to the speakers more effectively.
Old 5th December 2007, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Where is JKDas, hydrasok, speedZak bhai, derAlte, Sam, LBM?
I think B&T's covered it all
Old 5th December 2007, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
A lot of folks use a 4ch amp with two channels for speakers and the other two channels bridged for a sub. How does that setup compare with using two separate 2ch amps to accomplish the same task?

I figure using separate amps would be better cuz then you can match the amps to the speakers more effectively.
If what I understand from your post is correct, then IMO there would be no difference.

Matching the amps to the speakers? You mean tuning the amplifiers? It would still be the same since they have separate RCA inputs, gain controls and crossovers.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 5th December 2007 at 23:18.
Old 6th December 2007, 12:06   #11
BHPian

To add to the confusion:

I use:

1. one 2 chaneel bridged to a sub
2. one four channel - 2 channels to tweets and midbass
- 2 channels to the midrange.
Old 6th December 2007, 13:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
what make and model?

a 2 channel dedicated subwoofer amp will have a subsonic filter, a provision for remote, and will have the capacity for high reserves of power.

even i thought about the same. for the setup i wanted, it worked great coz one 2x130w was for the speakers... and the other 2x300w was a dedicated amp just for the sub (probably 2 subs). will update you soon.

in the lower segments, doesn't make any sense to me, though i 100% agree with all that B&T said. 2 x2 amps would also take more time for a thief to steal, and since it would be difficult for him to sell in any case, your set up would be that much safer. :-)

so now 3 qns. which make and model. which car. and what security in the car? hehehee.
Old 6th December 2007, 15:59   #13
BANNED

Why am I always being called a B H A I ?
Old 6th December 2007, 16:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Why am I always being called a B H A I ?
@speedzak-ben would not be appropriate, now would it?
Old 6th December 2007, 16:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

The power cabling would also be double I guess if you had 2 X 2 channel amps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks