Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 14:53   #1
BHPian

My Audio Upgrades...

Hi,

Im in the process of revamping my ICE. Now this is going to be my upgrade thread. ill post whatever i upgrade here.

For now, i have built a new enclosure for my Hertz ES380 15" sub. its a ported enclosure with an Audison Port. Its an almost 60 Litre Enclosure. this was done a month ago. i bought tools worth around 8k to do the job.

Here are some pics of the enclosure with sub installed. it looks nice.

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 8th December 2007 at 15:12.
Old 8th December 2007, 15:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Clip please post pics of the full enlcosure and not the close ups...

something about the location of the port..

Also the location of the port can be on any face of the enclosure not necessary on the same side of the enclosure on which the sub is mounted.
Old 8th December 2007, 15:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Clip please post pics of the full enlcosure and not the close ups...

something about the location of the port..

Also the location of the port can be on any face of the enclosure not necessary on the same side of the enclosure on which the sub is mounted.
sorry, i forgot. ill click some more pics. here is one which i s a little blurred.

the rear has a slant angle of around 70 d. i haven't tested by varying the length of the port but i will do it shortly.

i have kept the height minimum as i have plans to do up the floor with mdf. maybe ill mount the amp on the floor as well.

if you need more details lemme know.

vaise how did you like the finish. everything is done by me. carpeting included.

i will remove the enclosure from the car and click pics from every angle. i posted the close ups cause i thought they really came nice.

as you can see, the port is located on the baffle. i did it this way cause i like the looks. also since i was not sure of what would happen if i locate the port on top firing into the cabin through the hole in the parcel tray, i played it safe and installed it there.

i built the enclosure just to see if the sq suffers. i don't play the sub loud. i don't like boosted bass. im an sq guy(my taste has changed alot.)

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 8th December 2007 at 15:43.
Old 8th December 2007, 16:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

if you need more details lemme know.

Ya sure do post here as everyone will profit from it.

vaise how did you like the finish. everything is done by me. carpeting included.

Very good finish for a DIY job.

i will remove the enclosure from the car and click pics from every angle. i posted the close ups cause i thought they really came nice.

will be waiting for the same.

as you can see, the port is located on the baffle. i did it this way cause i like the looks. also since i was not sure of what would happen if i locate the port on top firing into the cabin through the hole in the parcel tray, i played it safe and installed it there.

I would suggest to try it on the top like in my car. It might improve the sound.

i built the enclosure just to see if the sq suffers. i don't play the sub loud. i don't like boosted bass. im an sq guy(my taste has changed alot.)

But some times the SPL takes over. So what is your result did the sound suffered or it is better now.
Old 8th December 2007, 16:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

clip very nice enlcosure (i think this is the one rajat was talking about some days ago).

So whats the next upgrade ? 9887 or something more better ?

OT is your CRDi back on road ?
Old 8th December 2007, 16:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
It boggles my mind why someone as eduacted and resourceful as you would go through all that labour, but that does not take away from the fact that it looks splendid indeed.
Old 8th December 2007, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good going clip! The enclosure does look very well finished. Great job!
Old 8th December 2007, 21:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It boggles my mind why someone as eduacted and resourceful as you would go through all that labour, but that does not take away from the fact that it looks splendid indeed.
I understand that my dear. It holds very true for a hobbyist/DIYer.

But when you have to do it to earn a living, knowing the practicals as good as the theory part is well worth it.
It tells with perfect accuracy, how much material to use. How to exactly use. How much time it will take. I feel these lessons cant be learnt unless you have dirtied your hands well enough.
What if your assistants are doing some other work and you need to build an enclosure for a customer in hurry? Only with lots of prior practice can you do that with best accuracy in shortest possible time.

Learnt this from my biking days. Before I can work my customer/friend's bikes, I need to know basics myself first.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 8th December 2007 at 21:30.
Old 8th December 2007, 22:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
B&T, don't know what to say. its my hobby and i love it. plus like ss said, im gonna soon do it professionally. so i need to have practical experience. this is what i have learned from my elders.

when i joined my factory, i started with the machines. i operated every machine till i knew how to adjust them and get the best out of them. till you don't do it yourself, you can't learn anything. practical knowledge is as important as education. whats the use of education when can't put it to use? :-) i hope you understand now.

also, whats so bad about building an enclosure? isn't it a part of audio? i will say it again. i love ICE and i love to do it myself. :-)

Thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Good going clip! The enclosure does look very well finished. Great job!
thanks hydra. btw how far is your city from pondicherry? i visit pondy quite often and when i come next time, i would love to visit all you guys. im dying to audition your setup. it gives me goose bumps just watching your install pics and i watch them every now and the. :-) its beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
I understand that my dear. It holds very true for a hobbyist/DIYer.

But when you have to do it to earn a living, knowing the practicals as good as the theory part is well worth it.
It tells with perfect accuracy, how much material to use. How to exactly use. How much time it will take. I feel these lessons cant be learnt unless you have dirtied your hands well enough.
What if your assistants are doing some other work and you need to build an enclosure for a customer in hurry? Only with lots of prior practice can you do that with best accuracy in shortest possible time.

Learnt this from my biking days. Before I can work my customer/friend's bikes, I need to know basics myself first.
egjactlyyyy. lol

LBM, here are the details.

i started with a board of Green Stamp Nuwud MDF. its .75" thick. i used combination of nails and self tapping screws with fevicol. used saw dust and fevicol to seal the edges.

the cost of the boar was around 1200 rs. the port was for around 800rs. the carpet i got was quite thick. it was quite difficult to handle but in the end, it looks better than the standard carpet used by the local installers.

the enclosure volume is around 60l. rightnow, im using the full length of the port. port dia is 80mm iirc.

there is no kind of damping used currently inside the enclosure. im thinking of using polyfill. what do you say? does it make a difference?

now the sq. yes there is a difference. the lower end is much louder but the sealed enclosure had a little more definition. the sealed enclosure was like more in control. its was smoother. i would go sealed when i get a more powerful amplifier. like you said, sometimes, spl takes over. i would not say its bad. it still is very good. the integration with the front stage has suffered though. IMO even a 5% difference in integration is a big difference. i know this is not the way to differentiate but didn't know how to explain.

cheers
clip
Old 8th December 2007, 23:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
now the sq. yes there is a difference. the lower end is much louder but the sealed enclosure had a little more definition. the sealed enclosure was like more in control. its was smoother. i would go sealed when i get a more powerful amplifier. like you said, sometimes, spl takes over. i would not say its bad. it still is very good. the integration with the front stage has suffered though. IMO even a 5% difference in integration is a big difference. i know this is not the way to differentiate but didn't know how to explain.
Try doing some TA and see the difference. It will blow away the sealed any day. And guys what will make you understand that ported does not mean that the SQ is hampered in any way.
Old 9th December 2007, 01:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely done Clip. I appreciate your effort and hard work. Well done. Do post pics of the carpet joints. Thats where we'll know how good you are...
Old 9th December 2007, 02:38   #12
BANNED

very well done clip..now to the questions bro -

did you buy an electric jig saw too? what is the port length?
the MDF base for the trunk sounds good, i am also planning to do that!
why do you have a hole in the parcel tray?

LBM - if the port is on top, wont i make more vibrations?
is it necessary to keep the 4 inch distance in the port from the box?
Old 9th December 2007, 04:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post

No it will not make vibrations. But good damping is required in both the cases.

It is good to keep the distance according to the size of the port. If you are using 3 inch port then 3 inch from the wall is enough.
Old 9th December 2007, 14:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Very nicely done Clip. I appreciate your effort and hard work. Well done. Do post pics of the carpet joints. Thats where we'll know how good you are...
thanks gunman. yes i will do that in a while. you know who taught me the carpeting thing? Mukul Patel. i was watching him do up the carpeting. otherwise i could have never done it my self. the joints are quite neat considering the thickness of that thing. it had a jute backing kind of a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post

thanks. yes i bought an electric jig saw. port lenght is around...mmm..ill let you know in a while. rest lbm has replied.

cheers
clip
Old 9th December 2007, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Try doing some TA and see the difference. It will blow away the sealed any day. And guys what will make you understand that ported does not mean that the SQ is hampered in any way.
are you sure it makes that much of a difference? i will see for sure when i get the 9887. or you can gift your pio p880 you can even send me the rux+701.

have you sold the subs? the maxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks