Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 23:53   #1
BHPian

Video Player setup for SX4 Zxi

I executed search, no thread seems to exist on this topic.

My family wants to have Movie/DVD Player setup. I need your inputs, Gurus!

Let me answer standard questions:

1. My Car: SX4 Zxi

2. My current setup: None for video. Nothing changed so far wrt audio setup (I am ok with stock HU and speakers).

3. My Budget: To be frank, I haven't decided it yet. I want to know how much a decent setup would cost. From your replies, I can come to know of it to decide.

4. Do I drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive it always.

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): I think this is not applicable for video setup.

6. Am I ready to sacrifice boot space/modify door panels? : Since I am looking for 'roof mounted DVD player', boot space needn't be compromised, but may be ok with door panels modification.

Now, these are few questions I can think of:
1. Which company player is good? Model & Cost?
2. How much will insurance cost for the player? (I've read parked threads)
3. To start with simple setup, can the player output be directed to stock speakers? If not, what setup will be needed & cost?
4. I hope 'roof mounted' one is economical & better than the headrest or other setups, is it right?
5. In bumpy rides, will there be any buffering/delay in playback?
6. Lastly, which is good place to get it done in Bangalore?
Old 8th December 2007, 23:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
3. To start with simple setup, can the player output be directed to stock speakers? If not, what setup will be needed & cost?
4. I hope 'roof mounted' one is economical & better than the headrest or other setups, is it right?
Pio makes a nice DVD HU for 15K. hook it up the a roof mounted screen or perferably to 2 head rest mounted screens (the roof mounted screen anc impair rear visibility when used) and the audio will pay back via you existing speakers.

an alternate method is to have a DVD changer in the trunk that plays audio via an FM modulator and your current HU.
Old 9th December 2007, 05:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

replace your stock HU with a DVD HU. Don't buy Sony (I have), get JVC or Pio. The better option is to mount the screens on the headrest, but if budget does not permit, get the roof mounted screen & fit it just above the front seats, not in front of the driver. Roof mounted screens costs between 4k to 9k for brands like necvox etc, but a jvc or sony would cost quite a bit. there is no problem during bumpy rides.
Old 9th December 2007, 09:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

guys, im an ice noob but wouldnt it be better if he dosent change the hu since itll look very odd. what if he just buys a roof mounted dvd player? the one which has the dvd player and the screen on the roof itself?
Old 9th December 2007, 20:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I executed search, no thread seems to exist on this topic.

My family wants to have Movie/DVD Player setup. I need your inputs, Gurus!

Let me answer standard questions:

1. My Car: SX4 Zxi

2. My current setup: None for video. Nothing changed so far wrt audio setup (I am ok with stock HU and speakers).

3. My Budget: To be frank, I haven't decided it yet. I want to know how much a decent setup would cost. From your replies, I can come to know of it to decide.

4. Do I drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive it always.

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): I think this is not applicable for video setup.

6. Am I ready to sacrifice boot space/modify door panels? : Since I am looking for 'roof mounted DVD player', boot space needn't be compromised, but may be ok with door panels modification.

Now, these are few questions I can think of:
front screens, HUs not recommended for drivers, risk of life. roof top is good for family. single screen is better if there is usually a single person behind, so the screen faces him or her directly. it's also more comfortable on long drives to see, and with individual headphones, you don't disturb everyone, the others can doze off and you can watch the movie.

get a good DVD HU. then get screens in grey. they are very expensive officially. you'll need a scosche kit which will fit in sx4 OEM space and give you a neat DIN slot/s. if you are keen to play pirated DVDs then get an amp and upgrade speakers, as most of them would not have clean hi-level recordings. if not, then you may use the existing speaker setup. though it'll be better to upgrade.
Old 10th December 2007, 21:42   #6
BHPian

Thanks folks for replies.

1. I need it only for rear passengers, normally 2 people will be there, sometimes 3.
2. Rear view obstruction is something I need to worry about if I place it in centre of roof (near centre light switch). Already I have very less visibility.
3. Two monitors behind headrests will make it costlier & difficult for person in middle seat to watch. How much would such extra monitor cost? Where will HU be installed in this case? Can it be in roof without limiting rear visibility (since it won't have screen, just HU)?
4. If I place DVD changer (is HU also the same?) in trunk, changing discs needs me stop the car :-(.

BTW, @Montyguru: Which space do you mention as OEM space in SX4? Stock HU slot?

Can you provide more inputs? I am confused.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 10th December 2007 at 21:44.
Old 17th December 2007, 03:50   #7
BHPian

hey satya if money is a not a very big issue then theres no need to go into such details.
alpine makes some amazing roof tops screens with inbuilt dvd player.(this will not relpace you oem deck)..thats the cleanest thing i can refer you to go for..it comes in 10.2" with wide angle viewing ...so no problem if there are 3 ppl or 5 or even more..plus you can get also wireless headphones form alpine(incase of personal viewing) and even more exciting it comes with a game port in case one wants to connect xbox or sony playsation

more brands you can look for is blaupunkt ,makes good roof tops too but damn expensive

if money is an issue then get a dapic dvd player -rs3500 plus a good 10" dislpay-
or good dvd from pioneer or alpine plus 6.5" +widescreen lcd display from alpine which also has BUILT IN SPEAKER AND AMPLIFIER model no. -TME M710
Old 17th December 2007, 12:50   #8
BHPian

Thanks aman, I'll look into these. My main concern is that it shouldn't impact rear visibility. Let me check.
Old 17th December 2007, 15:23   #9
BHPian

hey theres one more thing ,a smater way
get a philips portable dvd player 7"widescreen display..runs on chargeable batteries ..also has in built speakers...headphones out..A/V out and wide angle viewing too..
this will not hamper your rear visibility plus you can carry it with you so no worry of stealing either..use the audio out to connect it with your amplifier for the front+rear door speakers and sub(for that real cinema experience) ,varna inbuilt speakers to hai hi
Old 17th December 2007, 21:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amangujral06 View Post
hey theres one more thing ,a smater way
get a philips portable dvd player 7"widescreen display..runs on chargeable batteries ..also has in built speakers...headphones out..A/V out and wide angle viewing too..
this will not hamper your rear visibility plus you can carry it with you so no worry of stealing either..use the audio out to connect it with your amplifier for the front+rear door speakers and sub(for that real cinema experience) ,varna inbuilt speakers to hai hi
Hmm, I am not sure if my family will like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks